Customer Service 866.965.0400

Question on foam gun and 2 bucket wash

joeobx

Question

Received my foam gun and hope to get a chance to use it later. I got to thinking if I'm using a foam gun is it really necessary to use the 2 bucket wash.....why not just have a rinse bucket with the grit guard and use the foam gun to lather up the car and mitt ?

Enlighten me :D

17 answers to this question

Im guessing but if you have the two bucket wash, one soap one rinse, whats the point of having a foam gun?

Or like in my case if you have a foam Gun to deliver the soap why have a two bucket wash.

Use the gun to deliver soap and one bucket to rinse and grit guard the pad which is what i currently do. The most important part of the two bucket wash I believe is the rinse bucket. Its the removal of dirt from the pad after you wipe your car and check the pad for build up of dirt.

If the soap bucket is there solely to delivery soap after you rinse and grit guard the pad why not just use the gun in its place. Just my two cents.

Found Adams in June of this year and also took delivery of my new 2011 Golf Black naturally. I had the dealer not detail the car before delivery. Have used the two bucket wash plus always use a foam gun prier to washing. It may be just luck but I have zero scratches or swirls on my black finish.

3) I understand the space issue regarding the second bucket. For my second bucket I have a homedepot bucket, after washing I can dry the buckets out and then stack the Adams bucket inside the home depot bucket, except for the extra few inches of vertical space, no additional floor space is required

Bingo - I put a premium on my garage space as well b/c it has to house not only my truck and my detail supplies, but tools, ladders, holiday decorations, garden supplies, all the miscellaneous things that come with home repair - like sprinkler parts, paint, spare tiles, etc - plus Tanners bikes, wagon, etc.

I have a total of 4 buckets -

(2) for 2 bucket washing

(1) for wheel cleaning

(1) for pad/towel presoak

Stacked they take up no more floor space than 1 bucket, just have to account for the added height.

I understand the system and what the gun is for, i just dont see the difference between soap from a bucket or soap from a gun. Foaming while I wipe would produce the same amount of glide then carrying soap from the bucket to the car via the pad. I am not in anyway knocking the 2 buckets system but for me I am only able to have one bucket for lack of room for two. So i have had to come up with a way to make sure that i dont harm my clear coat so foaming while i wipe although uses more soap seems to be working for me at the moment.

Great questions and love your thinking process!

Here is my input based on my experience --

1) foam guns are fun and cool, but the foam doesn't feel as if it provides the same lubrication to the pad that the dedicated soap bucket does - hence more chances for adding swirls

2) the dedicated soap bucket gives you the second grit guard to remove any more particles that may have been carried over from the rinse bucket (in addition to the added lubrication)

3) I understand the space issue regarding the second bucket. For my second bucket I have a homedepot bucket, after washing I can dry the buckets out and then stack the Adams bucket inside the home depot bucket, except for the extra few inches of vertical space, no additional floor space is required

Craig pretty much covered it.

A foam gun makes things faster and easier. You can perform a swirl free wash without one, just using 2 buckets with grit guards and the right technique.

Like I often say, its a NICE to have item, but not necessarily a MUST have item.

Plus, they're fun... lets not kid ourselves here... its enjoyable to soak your car down with a blast of bubbles, anyone who says otherwise is lying. :2thumbs:

There seems to be a lot of misconceptions as to what the foam gun is for.

First off. The car shampoo is non active, it has no dirt lifting capabilities. The agitation from the mitt is what gets the dirt to release its grip from your finish. The shampoo is there simply to surround the dirt particle once it's free. So soaking the car with shampoo does nothing more to the dirt than water alone can do.

So why foam gun? It is a different delivery system of soap to the finish. It helps to ensure that your entire finish is protected by the shampoo while rubbing on it with you wash mitt. I find I can go back and forth to the bucket a lot less.

There is also the added benefit of keeping water spots from forming while washing one side of the car and the water is drying on the other. If there is shampoo on the car it is no big deal if it dries.

It is entirely possible to keep a swirl free finish using the two bucket system on its own. Personally I would not put a wash mitt on my finish that is not completely primed with clean fresh soap, too much of a chance of introducing swirls. I want as much soap as possible right where I am rubbing on the paint.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand the system and what the gun is for, i just dont see the difference between soap from a bucket or soap from a gun. Foaming while I wipe would produce the same amount of glide then carrying soap from the bucket to the car via the pad. I am not in anyway knocking the 2 buckets system but for me I am only able to have one bucket for lack of room for two. So i have had to come up with a way to make sure that i dont harm my clear coat so foaming while i wipe although uses more soap seems to be working for me at the moment.

I believe u have the concept of the foam gun all wrong. The foam gun is like pretreating the vehicle before the wash. It lifts the the dirt and grime away so when u wash it will have less chances of swirling and causing scratches. Using a foam gun to delivery the main source of soap isn't wise in my book.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

the gun is added protection, with the pad soaked on soap as well, it will glide better and help even more to prevent scratching, and if you foam, A lot of the foam rolls off the car leaving some left to help, this is why I use a bucket with soap and 1 with rinse and grit gaurds. foam gun is not a replacement for a soap bucket

I think I'll stick with the 2 bucket wash. I do have a couple more questions though.

1. Which metering tip should I use.

2. What ratio do I mix up the shampoo at

3. Can I pre mix and store it in a empty jug and save what I don't use.

If it helps I have a full size F150 4 door

Due to my limited amout of room for storage I only have one Adams bucket for rinsing. After I foam the Chally I foam the pad and rinse and scrape on the Grit guard after every pass. Its probably excessive but Im paranoid about scratching my clear coat. Still on the fence about going to the two bucket method at this point.

Received my foam gun and hope to get a chance to use it later. I got to thinking if I'm using a foam gun is it really necessary to use the 2 bucket wash.....why not just have a rinse bucket with the grit guard and use the foam gun to lather up the car and mitt ?

Enlighten me :D

Archived