Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detailed: 2012 Veloster

The Ryan

Well, when one car goes another one has to take its place. I won't lie it literally made me cry to have to get rid of the Camaro, but unfortunately it had to go.. I needed something that got great fuel economy with $4/gal prices, yet something that still at least looked fairly sporty. But it couldn't cost 30K either... That being said, welcome Hyundai Veloster to the family. Hyundai has come a long way from the crappy elantra's and sonatas just a few years ago to a new outlook on the auto industry. The Veloster is new to Hyundai's line, Manufactured right here in Alabama USA. It made me feel much better to buy a foreign car manufactured in the USA because at least the company is bringing jobs to the US economy.

Let's get to it.. I brought this thing home Friday night, and spent the better part of today fixing the dealer installed swirls, and scratches.

Used in this detail:

Wash:

Adam's Shampoo

Adam's Merino Wash Mitt

Adam's Great White Drying Towel

Adam's Detail Spray

Wheels and Tires:

Adam's Green Wheel Cleaner

Adam's All Purpose Cleaner

Adam's Turbo Stick

Adam's Fender Brush

Adam's Boars Hair Brush

Adam's Multipurpose Utility Towels

Adam's VRT

Adam's Invisible Undercarriage Spray

Adam's Tire Applicator

Polish:

Adam's Swirl and Haze Remover

Adam's Fine Machine Polish

Adam's [Prototype Gen4 Pads]

Adam's Double Soft Microfiber Towels

Flex 3401VRG Polisher

Scratch Removal:

Adam's [Prototype Gen4 4" Pads]

Dewalt 18V Drill

3M 2000 Grit Sandpaper

3M 2500 Grit Sandpaper

Exhaust Tips:

Adam's Metal Polish #1

Adam's Metal Polish #2

Wax:

Adam's Brilliant Glaze

Adam's Americana Premium Paste Wax

Interior:

Adam's Leather and Interior Cleaner

Adam's Leather and Interior Conditioner

Glass:

Adam's Glass Sealant

Adam's Glass Cleaner

Misc:

Brinkmann Swirlfinder Halogen/LED

Adam's Detail Cart

Off to the business end, I started early around 730 am..

DSC_0092.jpg

DSC_0094.jpg

DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

I started with the wheels, new foaming APC sprayer, Foaming Green Wheel cleaner, Power Stick, Fender Brush, and Boars Hair Brush:

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

After getting the wheels cleaned it up, it was time for a full foam treatment..

DSC_0017.jpg

Followed by a wash with the Merino Wool Wash Mitt:

DSC_0020.jpg

Surprisingly enough this brand new car was not in need of any claying, I ran the clay over the paint anyway, accompanied by Adam's Famous Detail Spray:

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

It was finally time to dry it off via Detail Spray, and a great white drying towel:

DSC_0023.jpg

Door jambs and engine bay were dried with a Multipurpose towel and Detail Spray:

DSC_0024.jpg

Now we're off to the business end - The paint inspection - I'm very fond of the blue and green flake in the black.. You never know its there until you get close to the paint:

Scratches

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

Marring and Swirls

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

Time for prep and Polish, thankfully this car isn't covered with plastic nose to tail:

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

Removed rear plate for polishing:

DSC_0056.jpg

Pre Polished Exhaust Tips:

DSC_0057.jpg

Wet Sanding the deep scratches [Warning, Do NOT attempt wet sanding unless your completely willing to risk doing serious damage!]

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

After getting it polished out to near perfection, I did a 50/50 IPA wipe down to remove the excess polish:

DSC_0064.jpg

Time to hit the car with some Adam's Brilliant Glaze for that amazing 'POP'

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

Followed by a coat of Adam's Americana:

DSC_0106.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

The tires were treated to a helping of Super VRT:

DSC_0067.jpg

The engine compartment also got a generous helping of Super VRT:

DSC_0095.jpg

The interior was treated to a quick wipe down with Leather and Interior Cleaner, followed by a generous helping of Conditioner:

DSC_0099.jpg

DSC_0101.jpg

DSC_0105.jpg

At last, it was time to get this hamster with 138HP of fury into the sun!

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

DSC_0079.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

DSC_0085.jpg

DSC_0086.jpg

DSC_0087.jpg

No Adam's detail is complete with out some 'Von Kleisting'

DSC_0091.jpg

Now she's worthy of it, so she's wearing her badge of honor:

DSC_0111.jpg

It'll never be my camaro, but the 40MPG, Indash Nav, Moonroof, Pushbutton Start, rearview camera, parking sensors, 3rd door, ect. ect. make it decent commuter. I'm not in love with it, but I'm starting to like it.

... Hyundai has come a long way from the crappy elantra's and sonatas just a few years ago to a new outlook on the auto industry. The Veloster is new to Hyundai's line, Manufactured right here in Alabama USA. It made me feel much better to buy a foreign car manufactured in the USA because at least the company is bringing jobs to the US economy.

Funny. I am old enough to remember Hyundai's first cars to be here in the US for $4999 I believe. A total POS. They have certainly stepped up their game exponentially. Other manufactures have too. Kia is making some nice looking stuff. That's a nice looking ride you have there. I especially like the exhaust exit(s).

Folks will have varying opinions on the topic but I also felt the same when my wife recently purchased a Honda Pilot. I believe that too is manufactured in Alabama. I might have to get down with a Flex for that vehicle as it has about as much surface area as a minivan. The PC may just take too long and I've been looking for an excuse.

Good luck with the new ride.

Shiny shiny shiny! Great job! Just think, with having to commute more often than before, you will get your car dirty much more often, which means .... yes that's right, you get to do what you love more often! Wash and detail, wash and detail :) :) :)

Awesome writeup and great looking car after the detail (Im personally not a fan of Hyundai or anything foreign even if it's made here in the US of A). I too am thinking about trading in my Camaro, nothing against the car, but the gas prices are high and the payments are high too. I started a job in the financial field in NY and I take the bus everyday to work so I only use the Camaro on weekends. Im starting to think about something that can trim down my payments but has to be sporty, yet have good gas mileage and save me some cash overall. My search is now is limited to the big three so we'll see.

I started to search online already

great looking car, I saw a white Veloster the other day and had to chase it down to see what it was, I hadn't even heard of them yet. is that roof all glass?

Hyndai's must be great cars these days, my sister is really tough on vehicles and she has a Sonata with over 100K miles on it that is solid as a rock.

beautiful job on the detail:2thumbs:

WOW man, nice job! thats awesome looking. I dont mind the Velosters at all actually. I think that you will like it, you will never love it because its the one that replaced your baby. Give it a few years and your decision will of payed off :)

I do have one request, PLEASE GET IT TINTED. :D

Holy sh?? batman, that is flippin amazing!! :bow: The shine :glasses::rockon:

So, did you buy new? Those were some nasty pics of the paint in spots. They say the flex is the best for black does a better job for perfection I hear.

How long did you spend as the flex would cut the time down alot I would think.

Awesome writeup and great looking car after the detail (Im personally not a fan of Hyundai or anything foreign even if it's made here in the US of A). I too am thinking about trading in my Camaro, nothing against the car, but the gas prices are high and the payments are high too. I started a job in the financial field in NY and I take the bus everyday to work so I only use the Camaro on weekends. Im starting to think about something that can trim down my payments but has to be sporty, yet have good gas mileage and save me some cash overall. My search is now is limited to the big three so we'll see.

I started to search online already

It's not a decision everyone can make buying a foreign car, however 1/2 of the american models are outsourced to canada and mexico anyways.. My problem with the big 3 were the selections in the price range. Focus, Cruze, Chrystler 200... Focus looks like a cheese grater, the Cruze is boring as boring gets, and the 200 is butt ugly. Addititionaly the Cruze eco was in my price range, but the chevy warranty can't touch hyundai's warranty. In a time of trying to save $$ car maintenance is a huge factor. Just my .02, someday I'll get back to my american muscle.

great looking car, I saw a white Veloster the other day and had to chase it down to see what it was, I hadn't even heard of them yet. is that roof all glass?

Hyndai's must be great cars these days, my sister is really tough on vehicles and she has a Sonata with over 100K miles on it that is solid as a rock.

beautiful job on the detail:2thumbs:

Yup the 'style package' gets you a solid glass roof with a moonroof.

WOW man, nice job! thats awesome looking. I dont mind the Velosters at all actually. I think that you will like it, you will never love it because its the one that replaced your baby. Give it a few years and your decision will of payed off :)

I do have one request, PLEASE GET IT TINTED. :D

In the works, maybe around tax return season.

Holy sh?? batman, that is flippin amazing!! :bow: The shine :glasses::rockon:

So, did you buy new? Those were some nasty pics of the paint in spots. They say the flex is the best for black does a better job for perfection I hear.

How long did you spend as the flex would cut the time down alot I would think.

Yup, new - amazing how poorly cared for brand new vehicles are isn't it? This car could have easily been done with a PC, but I use the flex since I achieve results faster. It took me about 2.5hr to polish the car.. excluding wash/wax/trim ect. Just polish..

Archived