Customer Service 866.965.0400

First impressions - Adams Foam Gun

paoutdoorsman

Question

I picked up a foam gun at the recent PA Adams detail clinic. I've been sitting on the fence about keeping is, since it didn't come with any packaging, documentation or instructions. The first time I went to use I realized there were extra components in the jar. Not knowing what they were for, I just set the whole thing aside. Finally decided last night that I can't take Adam's up on their 110% satisfaction guarantee if I don't give this thing a try... :-) so I pulled out the daily driver that was definately in need of a bath, and lathered it up. Here she is.

foamgun4.jpg

And, here is the new foam gun...

foamgun1.jpg

foamgun2.jpg

I added 2 oz of Adam's Car Shampoo, and filled with water and mixed it around. I just installed the pick up tube onto the sprayer head and didn't try to figure out what to do with the jets, or where they go, or which to use. (Where do they go?)

My son Dylan running the gun for the pic.

foamgun3.jpg

So I noticed a couple things. The tank empties very quickly - by the time I got around sudsing this entire 'smallish' vehicle, I was running out of the good stuff. I believe it will be a stretch to suds my bigger truck. My other observation was that the suds didn't stick around too long. You can already see them leaving on the door windows. I started with the roof and the windows. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I gunned the entire truck, then switch out the gun for my rinse nozzle (30 second job), then started to wash. A lot of the truck was partially dry by the time I got to it and I had to re-wet so I was dragging the wash mit onto dry paint.

What suggestions do you long term foam gun users have for a foam gun newb like me? At this point, I'm thinking it just seems like it may be more of a hassle to me than an advantage.

I'll leave you with this parting shot. It was getting late in day when I started this, so the sun was gone until I finished washing. Had to pull it in the shop to treat it to Adam's Detail Spray and a Great White Drying Towel.

foamgun5.jpg

14 answers to this question

the tank will empty fast, but you can chose what ratio it mixes at by addinng one of the color coded deals that came in the foam gun, also for the best results I have foamed 1 panel at a time..this mkaes the foam hang around for the wash. But I usually do the entire car then 2 bucket wash it. Nice looking truck BTW

My Gilmour Foammaster II set to maximum foam empties the canister just foaming up one of my car's; I don't think that's abnormal if you want the most soap to water ratio. My truck would probably take more than double but I haven't used it on there yet.

the tank will empty fast, but you can chose what ratio it mixes at by addinng one of the color coded deals that came in the foam gun, also for the best results I have foamed 1 panel at a time..this mkaes the foam hang around for the wash. But I usually do the entire car then 2 bucket wash it. Nice looking truck BTW

I have an original "Adams Foam Gun" before they were discontinued by Adams(because of a dis-honest supplier)and mine did not come with any"color coded"anything-Jets.

I wonder if the "jets" would change the ratio the foam gun container empties itself-because mine BARELY makes it thru a mid-sized vehicle before it empties itself.

BTW-I think all the Adams Foam Guns had a "Adams" label on them and they didn't say "HydroFoamer"?

I have an original "Adams Foam Gun" before they were discontinued by Adams(because of a dis-honest supplier)and mine did not come with any"color coded"anything-Jets.

I wonder if the "jets" would change the ratio the foam gun container empties itself-because mine BARELY makes it thru a mid-sized vehicle before it empties itself.

BTW-I think all the Adams Foam Guns had a "Adams" label on them and they didn't say "HydroFoamer"?

Hydro was supplying ours before the "oh... yea... btw - no more USA" incident and they shipped with a metering tip already installed. We pretty much had them build them to our liking - our label on the canister and a metering tip preinstalled to work ideally in the range of 4-6oz of soap per 32oz mixture. In line with our philosophy we had tested all the meters and wanted to make it as easy as possible to take the gun out of the box and foam a vehicle. No guesswork... kind of like our color coding approach to polishing.

The barb should be inside your intake hose, if not LMK and I might be able to find one.

Hydro was supplying ours before the "oh... yea... btw - no more USA" incident and they shipped with a metering tip already installed. We pretty much had them build them to our liking - our label on the canister and a metering tip preinstalled to work ideally in the range of 4-6oz of soap per 32oz mixture. In line with our philosophy we had tested all the meters and wanted to make it as easy as possible to take the gun out of the box and foam a vehicle. No guesswork... kind of like our color coding approach to polishing.

The barb should be inside your intake hose, if not LMK and I might be able to find one.

Interesting... so with the real Adam's labeled guns, what color metering jet did you determine to be optimal and pre install into the gun? And where should it be inserted?

I didn't put a tip on mine. I left it the way it came. It shoots clouds. Seriously.

Fill the water up to the top of the neck on the water canister, add 4 0z. of Car Shampoo. Replace lid and swish around as to mix the Shampoo and the water up.

From there, you should be getting decent results! That is the mixture I use on my own SS, so I know it works.

Mook

I didn't put a tip on mine. I left it the way it came. It shoots clouds. Seriously.

Fill the water up to the top of the neck on the water canister, add 4 0z. of Car Shampoo. Replace lid and swish around as to mix the Shampoo and the water up.

From there, you should be getting decent results! That is the mixture I use on my own SS, so I know it works.

Mook

:iagree: with Mook. And I'm using the Adams labeled gun/canister.

Not sure of your exact model Dana but I found this info on Hydro's website it may be of some help.

http://www.hydrosystemsco.com/images/instruction-sheets/hydro/HS_HydroFoamer_Models_481_483.pdf

Thanks Jarrod, that's a great help. For some reason they don't actually have my model on the site. Those are built almost the same, but mine is only a 32 oz model.

I'm waiting to find out from the Adams team which one they preloaded in their guns.

foamgun6.jpg

If you werent satisfied with the amount of foam, what I could suggest, is one adding more shampoo or looking into a foam cannon. With the foam cannon you suds up the car and the soap litterally sticks to the car for 5 minutes

http://<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7KYtQZefqLM" frameBorder=0 width=420 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Archived