Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wrecked or not wrecked??

TazMan

I know this a "way out in left field" question, but what is the best way to find out if a car has been in a wreck??? I bought my 2001 Vette from an "original owner" who was in his late fifties and owned his own construction company. The car was his wife's and used as a weekend driver (only had 15k when I bought it in 2005). Both he and his wife stated that car was never damaged and always garage kept.

I ask this question because everyone mentions that tire information can be found on a sticker thats been applied to the drivers door (I have no such sticker???)

:confused:

I know this a "way out in left field" question, but what is the best way to find out if a car has been in a wreck??? I bought my 2001 Vette from an "original owner" who was in his late fifties and owned his own construction company. The car was his wife's and used as a weekend driver (only had 15k when I bought it in 2005). Both he and his wife stated that car was never damaged and always garage kept.

I ask this question because everyone mentions that tire information can be found on a sticker thats been applied to the drivers door (I have no such sticker???)

:confused:

Have you tried looking where the door latches to the "body" of the car? I have found that sticker to usually be there, not on the "door" itself.

There is usually some tell tale signs of a respray somewhere... BUT part of me thinks "who cares?" if the car drives nice, doesn't have any odd problems then does it really matter?

Always possible there was just some minor damage and just the door was reshot. Being a glass car like the vette is something as simple as a knick or ripple in the panel would require it where a metal body car could be PDR'd.

Have you tried looking where the door latches to the "body" of the car? I have found that sticker to usually be there, not on the "door" itself.

I've seen that sticker on the backside of the fuel cap door too. (not being a Vette guy, I don't know if Vettes even have a door for the fuel cap.)

Thanks Guys

Looked at both doors and latch panels - no sticker!!! Everything looks fine and works OK.

I did notice a "paint" blemmish (while installing the Borla exhaust system) on lower rocker panel just below the rear of the drivers door that I have always thought a bit strange (especially since it is a Vette). I did not see any kind of paint overspray on the undercarridge?? Paid big $$$$ for the car and would be real pissed if the owner wasn't completely honest.

If you're not sure about the doors, stand at the front corner and look down the body lines. Since the car the fiberglass, the body panels should be wavy (have ripples). If the panels look flat, it may have been fixed.

I noticed the wavy fiberglass on the doors right away on my 98. I almost told the dealership to sand it down and repaint a brand new car. Then I was told that is how the fiberglass is from the factory.

I hope this helps.

Archived