Question

20 answers to this question

• Soap and Water Washing for light cleaning
  • Green Wheel Cleaner for heavier brake dust buildup
  • Boars hair brush or separate wash mitt/pad to scrub
  • Clay to remove bonded contamination
  • Polish by hand with SHR/Revive as needed
  • Apply a coating of AQS or MSS to keep them protected

^^^this...I have the same non-RS wheels and the above process works great.

Might I also suggest changing your pads too since the ones that come on the car suck due to the amount of dust they create. Per the Junkman and based on my own expierience go with ThermoQuite.

I have not used another brand of pad since I discovered those. They are truly dust free. :thumbsup:

The Quick Sealant? I guess that all depends on what you are cleaning the wheel with.

If you are cleaning them with straight APC, then chances are, you are ripping that Sealant off every wash. If you are using Car Shampoo, then chances are, the Sealant will last longer.

If you don't see beading you know there isn't anything there.

Mook

Ok, yeah i just clean them with water and soap. I got the shiny SS impala stock rims so i just use the multi purpose cleaner once a month maybe alittle more. But winter is arriving and i want something to protect my rims from the salt so i figured id give this a try.

thanks!

do you have to apply the sealent everytime you wash your car? or after how many washes?

thanks!

The Quick Sealant? I guess that all depends on what you are cleaning the wheel with.

If you are cleaning them with straight APC, then chances are, you are ripping that Sealant off every wash. If you are using Car Shampoo, then chances are, the Sealant will last longer.

If you don't see beading you know there isn't anything there.

Mook

• Soap and Water Washing for light cleaning
  • Green Wheel Cleaner for heavier brake dust buildup
  • Boars hair brush or separate wash mitt/pad to scrub
  • Clay to remove bonded contamination
  • Polish by hand with SHR/Revive as needed
  • Apply a coating of AQS or MSS to keep them protected

Might I also suggest changing your pads too since the ones that come on the car suck due to the amount of dust they create. Per the Junkman and based on my own expierience go with ThermoQuite. Here are few links to O'Reilly's site:

Rear:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0068&ppt=C0009

Front: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0068&ppt=C0009

Also, put disk brake quite betweeen the backing plate and the pad and on the caliper pistons. This way you can eliminate the dampening stick-on weights they put on the calipers from the factory. I did, and I have had zero squeaks.

Sounds like spray sealant was designed for wheels and just happens to work good on paint too!

Honestly, don't buy into the hype of 'wheel specific' sealants or waxes... anything that will protect wheels will protect paint and the other way around.

If its durable and doesn't have a negative impact on the appearance/clarity of a finish it will work on paint or wheels just fine. The only reason I prefer sealants to waxes on wheels is the higher melting point (wheels get hot and see more abuse than your paint) otherwise theres nothing unique about a wheel protection product vs. a paint protection product.

Plus, with 99.9% of factory wheels being clear coated anymore theres no reason to treat them any differently than you would any painted surface.

Archived