Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cleaning sticky buttons

pdisme

Question

In a few of my vehicles, as the years go by, some of their interior buttons and knobs are getting sticky for whatever reason. Probably whatever finish the factory had put on them breaking down. Has anyone run into this and/or have advice on how to clean them? Or do I just have to replace the buttons? Kind of a pain in the case of one car; the door panels would have to come off as well as the center console.

9 answers to this question

Sticky when you touch them. I think all the knobs and buttons in question started out with a wet look type coating over them, but they're different car brands and haven't been maintained by the same person so I doubt it's a make or past cleaning product issue.

I've done a number of older Ferraris and they suffer from sticky button syndrome....348, 355, 456....I used APC at full strength to take it off. Dylan is correct that some of the legends are painted on and then covered over with the goo that turns sticky over time. All of the switch legends stayed perfectly intact. The little arrows on the A/C vent trim rings did get rubbed away and IIRC, the arrows on the door handles also sacrificed themselves for the greater good of a sticky free interior. Hope that helps a little.

- Darryl

Thanks Dylan and Darryl, I'm going to try the leather cleaner first, then move up to all purpose if it doesn't help. I'll just photo the button images before doing it; I'd rather have no label than sticky buttons so I could probably just get decals made to put back on top afterward if I really needed the reminder of what the button is for.

LOL, the Benz is actually the worst of them but it's the blue Lambo that's the second problem car.

I like the blue one!!!!:D:jester:

Sometimes the lettering smears as you try to get the sticky goo off, so be aware of that so you don't end up with whitish black buttons.

Archived