Customer Service 866.965.0400

Adam's Complete Porter Cable 7424XP Polisher Kit

DaMaN22

Question

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000; COLOR: #000" SIZE=1>

Just got this Kit from the site... and i was wondering how I should apply this on my car?

should I do in in sections? meaning do it to a small section of the car all 4 steps at a time? or do it in small sections of the car but do the whole car with one product then the next and next ect.? thanks

15 answers to this question

First off, Welcome John!

Best to tape off a 2ft x 2ft area. Work that area until it meets your expectatoins - using all the polishes. Now you have an idea what the entire car needs. It's your choice if you work the polishes in order of aggressiveness a panel at a time, or do the entire car with one polish, then step down. The single polish method is a little more efficient.

Also remember to use the least aggressive method first. Start with FMP and you may find it is all you need.

Also a good idea to watch the video's by Adams and Junkman. But, pick a method - Adam's method and Junkman's method are NOT mix and match.

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000; COLOR: #000" SIZE=1>

Just got this Kit from the site... and i was wondering how I should apply this on my car?

should I do in in sections? meaning do it to a small section of the car all 4 steps at a time? or do it in small sections of the car but do the whole car with one product then the next and next ect.? thanks

John, Do a 2x2 test section first , this will tell you what it will take to correct your paint. Then do the whole car a pad & product at a time, then move to the next pad & product. Did you watch the Detailing Videos?

John, Do a 2x2 test section first , this will tell you what it will take to correct your paint. Then do the whole car a pad & product at a time, then move to the next pad & product. Did you watch the Detailing Videos?

:welcomebanner:John:welcomebanner:

:iagree::iagree:a 2x2 area will give you a good idea on how much pressure to use and how long to work the product

One good thing is that you don't have an acre of paint! And don't use too much polish, that slows things waaaaay down and clogs the pad. Ask me how I know. ;)

Three pea sized drops and a spritz of detail spray on the pad is enough - a little goes a long way. Move the polisher slowly across the paint, back and forth, up and down, go slowly across the surface, and you will have it! Enjoy!

went really well... i was only able to do just the hood... something came up and i had to stop. so im gunna start over next week and do the rest... so far so good tho.

i did notice that the PC was having trouble spinning sometimes and i was not putting any pressure on it at all. any ideas?

Are you using the washer on the spindle of the back plate before screwing it in to the PC? You need that part. (Just wanted to get that out of the way.)

Sometimes if the pad is not flush with a surface (slightly off of flat) it might not spin as much, or if on slightly rounded surface. You can hold the PC pad in place with one hand while it is running - that is how it is supposed to work. The rotation is a slight byproduct of the orbital motion.

If you got it from Adam's, it is correctly set up - no worries there.

The most work that the machine does is those tiny circular motions of the pad from the orbital motion. The rotation is a secondary kind of work, which is minor compared to the power coming from the orbital motion. Let the pad rotate slowly, and you are in the correct pressure ballpark. If you are on a flat body panel and it is not rotating, let up on your pressure a little until you see the pad rotation about 1-2x per second and you will be fine. Also, be aware that you should have the pad flat on the body panel, not at an angle. You are on the way!

daman22 - I STRONGLY recommend that you go to the Junkman's Corner in the Adam's Forum and watch, rewatch, and rewatch the videos he has on the two bucket wash process, as well as proper use of the 7424xp... you will learn a ton about how to use this stuff, proper technique, etc.

I had no idea that washing a car was so involved! Junkman has unplugged me from the matrix, and I am sure he can do the same for you!

i didnt see any extra parts in the box... just manual and a wrench thing... i just took it out of the box and used it. do i need to do anything to it before use?

Be sure to carefully watch the videos a couple times that Adam's has produced on the use of the PC.

Items to note:

- Pay attention in Adam's video of the amount of polish applied to the pad, being careful to not overload the pad

- Be sure to use the correct speed. Adam and the Junkman have different techniques, if you try to mix the amount of polish from one of them with the speed from the other the results will not be as good. I personally stick with Adam's technique and it works great for me.

- If the surface is warm or hot (especially when working outside) you will need to occasionally spritz the pad with detail spray to keep the polish properly hydrated

- Keep the pads flat on the surface, if you angle up on an edge the backing will tend to tear or eat into the pad making it prematurely wear.

Polishing is part art, part science. It takes some practice to get the right balance of machine speed, speed of movement across the car, temp, detail spray, amount of polish and force/weight. Have patience and stick with it.

Happy Polishing! :pc:

Archived