Customer Service 866.965.0400

cracking leather interior look

srthemi

Question

I never saw this question in any of the forums. But what makes the leather seats (most of the time the driver seat) have that crack look to them? I have a 2008 honda with about 40k on it I kept up on detailing the seats using Adams leather cleaner and condtioner. But it's still showing the cracked leather look to it.

Greg.

9 answers to this question

Part of it is that the seats aren't really leather. They're leather look vinyl actually. And if you take any fabric and repeatedly bounce a big butt onto it when it's cold or hot, that fabric is going to stretch...........and hence the "cracks". I've used nothing but Adam's leather conditioner on my Vette seats and they look cracked too. Not much you can do about it.

I call them Character Lines! When I was a kid our recluse neighbor had an older Jag XKE convertible (early 60's I guess) he'd work on in the evenings. When I could I'd go over and watch him and talk with him about what he was doing. I remember his seats having the cracked appearance, and I'm sure they were real leather, he called them Character Lines

My wifes Volvo's driver's seat had them when we bought the car used at 2 years old and only 22,000 miles. Continued use of Adam's Leather Conditioner has kept them from getting any worse.

Part of it is that the seats aren't really leather. They're leather look vinyl actually. And if you take any fabric and repeatedly bounce a big butt onto it when it's cold or hot, that fabric is going to stretch...........and hence the "cracks". I've used nothing but Adam's leather conditioner on my Vette seats and they look cracked too. Not much you can do about it.

I agree. The action of sitting on the seat will push the cushion down causing the wrinkles. The seats in some cars are notorious for this, the vette being one of these. There are some things that seem to help with this: a good conditioner such as Adams, proper technique when getting in and out of the car to avoid sitting on side bolsters, and sometimes altering the cushion material in the seat to increase its resistance to being sat on.

In my bride's vette we bought and installed different cushion foam for the drivers seat and it looks much better than the passenger seat now. The side bolsters which typically are too soft to put the leather into its shape now keep the side bolsters looking great.

The sides and backs of leather seats are typically vinyl, but the seating surfaces sure are.

Leather is just like skin (technically, it is skin, lol). For example, bend your fingers and watch how the skin tightens as it stretches. Then watch your skin as you straighten your fingers back out, it wrinkles. Despite using lotion on your skin & keeping it healthy, it still moves, flexes, & stretches. And if you neglect your skin, it cracks, peels, loses its density, etc. That's what will happen with leather if you neglect it as well. Make sense??

So despite keeping it nourished with Adams, leather will still continue to "show" it's age, lol. It's a natural characteristic. :)

Leather is just like skin (technically, it is skin, lol). For example, bend your fingers and watch how the skin tightens as it stretches. Then watch your skin as you straighten your fingers back out, it wrinkles. Despite using lotion on your skin & keeping it healthy, it still moves, flexes, & stretches. And if you neglect your skin, it cracks, peels, loses its density, etc. That's what will happen with leather if you neglect it as well. Make sense??

So despite keeping it nourished with Adams, leather will still continue to "show" it's age, lol. It's a natural characteristic. :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTOZQe_ffTJ0gmRt2DdPNGUUBRpa8E0kDun0albfPtAg2iwkUQ7CMF5l0jjUA

that you Chase? :jester:

Perfect answer... the 'wrinkles' are just part of owning leather... there is no way to prevent or remove them short of just never sitting in your car. Just part of owning a leather interior car.

Archived