Customer Service 866.965.0400

What are your Thanksgiving Traditions?

Diggerdan11

I have always been interested in what other people do for Thanksgiving. What are your Thanksgiving Traditions?

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comP><P><FONT size=3><FONT face=

What I have done for the last couple years (since I met my wife), is go over to my Wife’s parents house for dinner. We go over around 10am so we can help making dinner. We sit around watch some football, and eat around 2pm.

<o:p></o:p>

Then around 5pm my wife and I go to one of my Aunts houses, where the rest of my family is (parents, aunts, uncles, cousins etc…). There are usually around 50 people at my aunts. This is where we do my favorite Thanksgiving tradition. My family plays board games. We always play Trivial Pursuit, boys against girls, and it get very heated and competitive. This tradition has gone back long before I was born. During this time we usually stuff ourselves with pie and eat leftover turkey on squishy white bread, aka Wonderbread (that’s what my family calls it lol). Then after the boys beat the girls at Trivial Pursuit (hopefully:xfingers:), we then usually play another game like Scategories( depending on how long Trivial Pursuit lasts).

Growing up we always went to my aunt's house and feasted and played cards all day. After the families all got bigger I gladly volunteered to start having my immediate family to my house. With my brothers and sister and all our kids and parents we usually get about 12-18. This year the count is down a bit more than usual but everyone's still coming here.

It's easily my favorite holiday. I love cooking to boot so it's double sweet to have everyone here and cook for them.

Homemade wild mushroom soup

Andouille Cornbread stuffing

Traditional Apple and Sausage Bread stuffing

Cheesy corn

Gorgonzola Mashed Potatoes

Homemade Gravy

Homemade cranberry sauce

Bacon pan roasted brussel sprouts

Roasted Brined turkey

My mom always still makes all the pies for dessert. I made some homemade turkey stock all day yesterday (which puts the gravy over the top and adds so much to the stuffing) and today is prep day and I'll do the cranberry sauce and cut up all the ingredients for each dish so its ready to roll tomorrow.

Can't wait!!!!!

if deployed-->Guard duty YAY!!! and then get served best chow of deployment by a CSM or COL or General I've never seen before, and then chill

if not deployed-->go to parents, get temporarily fat (I swear I am hungry again 30 minutes after eating) watch football and relax, then my wife and my mom go Black Friday shopping (they tired out my marathon-running aunt one year) and more relaxing on my part

This turkey day, I'm going to the Boys game with my dad! WOO GOO COWBOYS!

Last year we really began a new tradition... since we now have a house big enough to invite everyone thanksgiving is at our place. Previously it would be multiple stops at different houses b/c no one had the room to have the entire family over.

Its a lot of work, and the house is generally trashed (as it is anytime you invite 25 people into your home for a meal) but it feels good to have everyone around the same table to give thanks. Plus, opening our home to friends and family for a big meal is the least we can do given how fortunate we are.

No real "traditions" to speak of on my part.

All of my family is back in Kansas or Minnesota, and with my career (I work every Black Friday) it doesn't make sense for travel. So in keeping it local, we usually hang with some combination of my wife's family, just depending on what everyone wants to do.

So the only things I TRY to accomplish every Thanksgiving is:

Give my wife some great love & appreciation for putting up with me.

Give my dogs the spoiling and attention they deserve.

Detail a car or two.

Drink my share of good brew & enjoy a few clove cigarettes.

Anything beyond that is icing on the cake. Doesn't take much to make me happy. :)

We've had family here since as long as I can remember. Kids, grandkids, parents, grandparents. The family got pretty small there for a while, but two grandkids are making it feel good again.

We eat, play with the kids, eat some more, have pie and coffee and by then the kids are ready to home. I enjoy it.

We head to my wife's mothers for a big family get together. She puts out a big spread of turkey and all the fixin's. I usually talk prep and college basketball with my B-i-L , but he is on an all expenses paid trip to the Bahamas to work the "Battle 4 Atlantis" tournament!

Last year we really began a new tradition... since we now have a house big enough to invite everyone thanksgiving is at our place. Previously it would be multiple stops at different houses b/c no one had the room to have the entire family over.

Its a lot of work, and the house is generally trashed (as it is anytime you invite 25 people into your home for a meal) but it feels good to have everyone around the same table to give thanks. Plus, opening our home to friends and family for a big meal is the least we can do given how fortunate we are.

But we want to know how your wife feels about that????...lol. I don't mind having everybody over, (Thanksgiving and Christmas) but the boss thinks that if the house isn't looking like a model home, nobody is coming over. Give it a few years and you will want to downsize. The boss was anxious for me to finish the basement after I finished the house, hence doubling sqaure footage and now it is too big, and too much to clean. Your house is still trashed, it is just more spread out. :lol:

My thought is that Thanksgiving should be about family, friends and relaxing. Not about about getting wound up. :lolsmack: I still wouldn't trade her for the world though.

I watch football then I eat followed by more football and then more eating. After that I watch football :D:D:D

This usually happens at my sisters house, big families on both sides but their house cam handle 50 people no problem :2thumbs:

First we go to my parents for a very southern Thanksgiving lunch around 11:00. Then around 5 this evening we'll go to my wife parents for a very formal Thanksgiving dinner.

The difference between the two is night and day. I've always told my wife at her parents we eat on fine china and at my parents we eat on fine chinet. :lolsmack:

What kind of food is traditional at your Thanksgiving gatherings? A certain kind of stuffing, or side dish? Mac-n-cheese( with many kinds of cheese), unusual salads? A special dessert? Shrimp stuffing? Do you go with turkey, or something else?

Ours is pretty ordinary (outside of the gravy haha) but my buddy in Mass. makes homemade cornbread and andouille sausage stuffing, which is delicious!

Archived