Customer Service 866.965.0400

When do you know it's time for a new clay bar?

gipper62494

Question

Was claying my car and thought I was taking off contaminant from the paint cause I could feel it but I think it turns out that I actually had contaminant in the clay bar because when I got done, I actually had MORE SWIRLS in the paint!

Is there a rule of thumb on when you need to get a new clay bar or how many times a clay bar can be used before it's loaded with contaminant?

12 answers to this question

:welcomebanner:Gib

This might seem like a dumb question, but was the car washed before you started claying? If the surface was clean there shouldnt be a reason for it to swirl/scratch up the car.

Also when your claying, you should do a pannel or 2 then fold your clay in half that way you have a clean surface to work with.

This might seem like a dumb question, but was the car washed before you started claying? If the surface was clean there shouldnt be a reason for it to swirl/scratch up the car.

Also when your claying, you should do a pannel or 2 then fold your clay in half that way you have a clean surface to work with.

I've had that happen as well, and it was after a careful two bucket wash using the Adams wool mitt. Some stuff just doesn't come off from the washing so it either needs more pressure during the wash or more during the claying to get it to come off, so one way or another I end up with some marring.

Although I have found a good use for the clay after I can no longer find a clean spot; use it for the windows. My windshields collect a lot of gunk and the clay takes it right off; glass doesn't scratch like clear coat so mildly used clay seems to work well for it.

I've had that happen as well, and it was after a careful two bucket wash using the Adams wool mitt. Some stuff just doesn't come off from the washing so it either needs more pressure during the wash or more during the claying to get it to come off, so one way or another I end up with some marring.

Although I have found a good use for the clay after I can no longer find a clean spot; use it for the windows. My windshields collect a lot of gunk and the clay takes it right off; glass doesn't scratch like clear coat so mildly used clay seems to work well for it.

AH sounds like a good idea, using the used but not used up clay for the windshield. Clay is cheep compared to the time and effort correcting clear coat swirls.

:welcomebanner:Gib

It depends on how bad the car is tbh...

I recently corrected my grandpa's 2003 mercury grand marquis and it had never seen a clay bar.

One "swipe" on the lower half of the door panels and it felt like I was grinding the crud into the paint. When I went to fold it I was SHOCKED at what it was picking up on a "clean" surface.

Thanks for all the great feedback guys! The car was just washed and dried with detail spray. And I do make it a habit to fold the clay over many times during the claying process. This is the first time, I've had this problem but the clay was a bit older and I had used it numerous times.

I just ordered some new clay and will give it another go and will be working like a fool to get these scratches and swirls out of my baby's paint. Hopefully I'll be able to post some awesome before and after pics.

Great idea keeping the used dirty clay for the windows!

I'm LOVING this forum!

1. It's a 200 gram claybar. Common sense should tell you to break it into at least 3.

2. If detailing just say, the average filthy car, one should be able to get between 12-15 uses out of one, 200 gram claybar.

3. Make sure you continually are folding and twisting the clay back into itself, then reflattening it on the window glass, so that you are always working with the cleanest clay possible.

4. When it doubt, throw it out. If it looks too dirty to you, it is. If it hits the floor, throw it out. If you use a piece of clay on your wheels, keep it separate from the rest.

You can clay glass with either DS or the Glass Cleaner. Clay the paint with DS.

Mook

Archived