Customer Service 866.965.0400

Fluorescent Lighting Debate....

Kingsford

We are looking to get all new fluorescent lighting in both of our fire stations. Currently we have 8ft, 2 bulb lights.

However we have been debating which gives off more light. 8ft or 4ft? The argument is there is less gas in an 8ft than a 4ft so the 4ft light is brighter.

Also we are trying to figure a few other things out and trying to get the brightest possible. A few other things, do we get the curved housing on them to refract light? If we do get the curved do we get the mirrored inside? Another thing would be do we get a dispursment cover instead of a curved upper housing?

Also debating, if we go with 4ft lights, do we get 2 bulb fixtures or 4 bulb?

What do you guys think? What would you do?

:help::help::help:

I can't give you much info on the housing, I've always just used the white enclosures and they seem to reflect more than enough for my needs. I'd imagine a purpose built housing would do more though.

As far as the bulbs... the size is irrelevant - what you want to be looking at is lumen ratings or lumens per watt if energy efficiency is of any concern.

The amount of light the bulb gives off is measured in lumens. The power is rated in watts. Lumens per watt is a way of identifying how many lumens a light source provides compared to the amount of energy, or wattage, used. Fluorescent bulbs can deliver as much as 90 lumens per watt. To choose the most energy efficient bulb you want a greater lumens-to-watts ratio. If you just want overall highest light output then straight lumens which varies, but not so much based on length.

For example - same length/style... different light output levels

4ft w/ 2650 lumens

4ft w/ 2250 lumens

I am currently remodeling my garage and have decided to go with the 8ft fixtures (4) that use (4ea) 4' T8 "sunshine" temperature bulbs at 32w and 2800 lumens each. 16 bulbs X 2800 ea = 44,800 total lumens and 512 watts.

in my case this equals about 117 candles per square foot and an electrical engineer buddy said a well lit garage usually is considered 30-50 candles per square foot.

the T8 fixtures were suggested because they cost less to run than the older T12 fixtures to get the same or more light.. along with the fact they supposedly start with no problem down to 0 degrees F. the T12's are plentiful now but are soon to be phased out according to some of the info I've heard.

I'm going to set up (2) switches, 2 lights per where if I'm not "correcting" I don't have to run all at the same time..I shouldn't miss anything because of the lack of light after this.:)

I'm going to set up (2) switches, 2 lights per where if I'm not "correcting" I don't have to run all at the same time..I shouldn't miss anything because of the lack of light after this.:)

That's exactly how I have mine set up and it works awesome, although I find myself wanting to have all the lights on all the time. :lolsmack:

I am currently remodeling my garage and have decided to go with the 8ft fixtures (4) that use (4ea) 4' T8 "sunshine" temperature bulbs at 32w and 2800 lumens each. 16 bulbs X 2800 ea = 44,800 total lumens and 512 watts.

in my case this equals about 117 candles per square foot and an electrical engineer buddy said a well lit garage usually is considered 30-50 candles per square foot.

the T8 fixtures were suggested because they cost less to run than the older T12 fixtures to get the same or more light.. along with the fact they supposedly start with no problem down to 0 degrees F. the T12's are plentiful now but are soon to be phased out according to some of the info I've heard.

WHOA! Thats gonna be bright! :glasses:

T8's have outstanding output [super bright] but have very poor longevity..... conditionally.

We just spent some big $$$'s changing 20-odd fire houses [in the apparatus bays, sleeping quarters, day rooms, kitchen, etc] to all T8 fluorescent lighting.... BIG mistake! We are replacing bulbs at least once every four weeks or so. Never did that with the old style fluros.

Great around the residential garage/shed/man-cave, but not made for places where the lights stay on 12-16HRS a day.

I can't give you much info on the housing, I've always just used the white enclosures and they seem to reflect more than enough for my needs. I'd imagine a purpose built housing would do more though.

As far as the bulbs... the size is irrelevant - what you want to be looking at is lumen ratings or lumens per watt if energy efficiency is of any concern.

The amount of light the bulb gives off is measured in lumens. The power is rated in watts. Lumens per watt is a way of identifying how many lumens a light source provides compared to the amount of energy, or wattage, used. Fluorescent bulbs can deliver as much as 90 lumens per watt. To choose the most energy efficient bulb you want a greater lumens-to-watts ratio. If you just want overall highest light output then straight lumens which varies, but not so much based on length.

For example - same length/style... different light output levels

4ft w/ 2650 lumens

4ft w/ 2250 lumens

Man, I'm coming to realize that Dylan knows something about everything. He's like cp3o, but doesn't require so much metal polish. :lolsmack:

c3po.jpg

T8's have outstanding output [super bright] but have very poor longevity..... conditionally.

We just spent some big $$$'s changing 20-odd fire houses [in the apparatus bays, sleeping quarters, day rooms, kitchen, etc] to all T8 fluorescent lighting.... BIG mistake! We are replacing bulbs at least once every four weeks or so. Never did that with the old style fluros.

Great around the residential garage/shed/man-cave, but not made for places where the lights stay on 12-16HRS a day.

If you're changing bulbs that often, something is seriously wrong. I'm guessing it's a ballast issue.

We have t8 fixtures in the fitness/tennis center I run and about half of the bulbs have never been changed (almost 8 yrs old.) The lights are on 16hrs/day.

If you're changing bulbs that often, something is seriously wrong. I'm guessing it's a ballast issue.

We have t8 fixtures in the fitness/tennis center I run and about half of the bulbs have never been changed (almost 8 yrs old.) The lights are on 16hrs/day.

The electricians have changed ballasts here and there but 8 times out of 10 they're replacing the bulbs.

They're pretty certain it's an entire bad batch of T8 bulbs out of the production line. They have ordered several new ones from another vendor. We'll know by next spring.

I just installed my T8 fixtures and have no idea how long the bulbs will last but on the package they are rated to last longer (more hours) than T12's.

BTW, my setup is what I would consider well lit, but not really as bright as I wanted.. I'm adding more.:D

A group of us meet for breakfast every Friday and one the guys that comes is a lightbulb guy.

Here is what he told me. T-8 8 footers have a life span of about 15,000 hours and are expensive.

T-8 4 footers have a life span of about 30,000 hours and are cheaper than the 8 footers.

T-8 8 footers will lose approximately 30% of their brightness over their lifespan.

T-8 4 footers will lose about 10%.

T-12 will be discontinued in July 2012.

As far as housings go, he said if your ceiling is painted white there is no need for one. If it isn't have a housing installed.

Hope this helps someone.

A group of us meet for breakfast every Friday and one the guys that comes is a lightbulb guy.

Here is what he told me. T-8 8 footers have a life span of about 15,000 hours and are expensive.

T-8 4 footers have a life span of about 30,000 hours and are cheaper than the 8 footers.

T-8 8 footers will lose approximately 30% of their brightness over their lifespan.

T-8 4 footers will lose about 10%.

T-12 will be discontinued in July 2012.

As far as housings go, he said if your ceiling is painted white there is no need for one. If it isn't have a housing installed.

Hope this helps someone.

Wow, great info. :thumbsup:

I can ask him about LED's when I see him next Friday. I know in past conversations he has said they are way expensive. If I remember correctly he said that a T-8 4 footer was about $4.

I did find this, and the LED's look pricey.

LED T8 Fluorescent Tubes and T8 LED Lights from CreativeLightings.com....ETL/UL Listed with 3 Year Full 24/7 Warranty! Best prices and service only at www.CreativeLightings.com

Archived