Customer Service 866.965.0400

Carpet Cleaner/Extractor Suggestions Needed

dipolley

Question

Well I got my butt kicked today by a client's Toyota Sienna minivan. This is my auto broker client who sends me at least 2 day's worth of work every week. I do not think the carpets were ever touched, ever. Candy, chocolate, coffee, soda, etc. It appeared as if the previous owner of the vehicle was a soccer mom every day for 5 years and never cleaned up one spill or dropped piece of food. Plus the dog hair. Well after over 3 hours of vacuuming, carpet and upholstry cleaner, 50/50 APC, and full strength APC, high preasure air to force everything out of every nook and cranny, and then more vacuuming I put a dent in the stains. But only dented it.

So I need an extractor/ carpet cleaner. Something that can be used 2-3 times a week, good for a full-time detailer, and something that will not break the bank. Also with a large enough resevoir that I don't have to keep stopping every 3 minutes to empty the tank. I am thinking under $300. Any suggestions would be very very much appreciated.

I will of cource be using Adam's carpet and upholstry celaner in the unit.

10 answers to this question

are these mats? if so i would just recommend replacing them. Would be cheaper then charging them your hourly rate trying to restore them (if thats how you do business)

If its the carpets them selves well there's a whole other world. I started my now x best friend in a mobile detailing business and strongly urged him to purchase this unit after i saw first had what it could do. He had a client that the carpets were so bad that you would never of assumed they were a lighter grey. They were just black.

You are probably going to need a combination of steam/upolstry cleaner. I know its out of your budget but i would also strongly urge you to get one. I personally saw a guy blow through a interior detail in 1/4 time with a unit like this.

Tosca Commercial Strength Vapor Steam Cleaner from Dupray

I also know that the home based bisel and the like are no good for professional use. My xbest friend went through three of the them. They just arnt designed for the daily abuse that detailing insues. what he spent in those could of bought him a really really nice professional machine that works 100x better then the household systems. This thing works stupidly well. Can be found for around 675 bucks

Carpet Maintenance Solution - Aztec's Hot Rod

good luck man, sounds like your off to a great start

that aztec looks pretty nice. the only question i have is if Adam's Carpet Cleaner can withstand 200 degree temps and still be effective

I imagine so, on auto....geek you get a free carpet solution. It is salt based and i believe i read somewhere on here Adams upholstery cleaner was a saline solution.

Albet it would work fine.

Im seriously contemplating on starting a detailing business for my self. The first two things i would purchase would be the steamer and the aztec.

I've got an older commercial Thermax extractor that I use on dirty interior. When/if it ever dies, I was thinking I'd replace it with a Durrmaid Super 1600. My Thermax will get the solution to about 165 degrees if I'm patient. The Durrmaid claims it will heat to 200 degrees in 15 minutes.

I'm very curious about the use of a steamer and an extaction unit. Can anyone clue me in to how this actually works? Do you just steam the dirty carpets without chemical, then use the extractor just like you would if they were dry? Or do you pretreat with chemical, then steam, followed by extraction? :help:

I use our limousine commercial carpet extractor on a daily basis. I might have an idea or two for you. First of all, with really dirty carpet "mainly beige inter." I pre-treat the floor mattes first and let sit for about ten min. then use the hot water extractor ( I recommend one that will do 210 degree and have at least a two or hopefully a three stage Vac on it). After that pre-treat the main inter. by spraying liberally with <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com><st1:place w:st=</st1:place>Adams, letting sit for ten and then go at it with Hot water and a little something extra in the mechine as an added kick. But mainly hot water!

This is just the basic way I do are limos, and with the bigger veh. I pre-treat and extract one sec at a time.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comP><P><FONT color=black><FONT face=Verdana>As for where to get a Hot water extractor there is a hot water extracor warehouse just down the street from you called ADCO <SPAN style=cleaning supply. Sometimes they have used ones! Or try looking on CL, I have found them used in <st1:City w:st="on">Greeley</st1:City> </SPAN> and "</SPAN>Fort Collins before from a tool rental store.

<o:p></o:p>

Also, some of the chemical companies in your area will rent them to you for free if you by certain products. One last golden nugget would be, for a low rental fee you can rent the Big Boys hot water commercial extractor from this janitor supply store in centennial. Click here <o:p></o:p>

http://www.academyjansan.com/3.html <o:p></o:p>

pm me if you have any more Q’s

Dylan, Frank, thanks for the responses gentlemen.

Allow me to clarify; I have a hot water extraction unit (an older commercial Thermax) and am familiar with using it. 3pedalMini mentioned the use of a vapor steamer in addition to a hot water extractor (As did RedexinLA in this post), and this is what I've been curious about. Sorry, I'm probably asking the question wrong :willy:.

Dylan, Frank, thanks for the responses gentlemen.

Allow me to clarify; I have a hot water extraction unit (an older commercial Thermax) and am familiar with using it. 3pedalMini mentioned the use of a vapor steamer in addition to a hot water extractor (As did RedexinLA in this post), and this is what I've been curious about. Sorry, I'm probably asking the question wrong :willy:.

What they show in the videos and what i saw done with i personally would never do, especially on leather/leatherette. What i did see is using the steamer as a "pre-treater" after chemicals and then immediately take the aztec to it. That made the carpets instantly go from a dark dark grey back to beige.

so it was chemical pre treatment-steam soak-immediate water extract. he would only do a small section then move on to the next section. :2thumbs:

Archived