Customer Service 866.965.0400

.44 Magnum Accident w/ Chinese Ammo

Team Adam's

First it was baby formula, then pet food, but now you should Watch out when buying anything from China, including bright, shiny ammunition.

A guy came into the police department the other day to ask a favor. He had a S&W 629 (.44 Mag) that he wanted to dispose of after a mishap at the range. He said there was a loud bang when he tested his new ammo (Chinese made), and the gun smacked him in the forehead, leaving a nice gash. When the tweety birds cleared from around his head, the pictures show what he saw.

Bet he never uses Chinese made ammo again!

Looks like when the round in the chamber went off, It also set off at least two other rounds in adjacent cylinders. I would have hated to been the one that pulled the trigger on that one!

8e6e39a1.jpg

4f675ca0.jpg

bebfe887.jpg

355d07a1.jpg

...I try to buy nothing made in china. They are out to take us over. ...

Outside of the posts regarding products used and reviewed here these words have the most truth to any I have read here.

Here's to you Mark for stating the painfully obvious and politically incorrect truth. :cheers:

I'm no Gunsmith but I am calling BS on this one. While I agree about buying American where possible this catastrophic failure was from something more/other than squeezing off 1 round.

But isn't anti-Chinese propaganda so much better than the true story? Dylan even admitted it's just another chain email, and if you search "44 magnum chinese ammo" you'll find a bunch of other threads about it. The general consensus among gun people seems to be that it was just a faulty hand load.

But isn't anti-Chinese propaganda so much better than the true story? Dylan even admitted it's just another chain email, and if you search "44 magnum chinese ammo" you'll find a bunch of other threads about it. The general consensus among gun people seems to be that it was just a faulty hand load.

This is my thought. Somebody was going for a "hot load" and went a little two hot. Blowing the gun apart. I saw this happen to a guy next to me with a glock 22 at the range one day.

This is my thought. Somebody was going for a "hot load" and went a little two hot. Blowing the gun apart. I saw this happen to a guy next to me with a glock 22 at the range one day.

:iagree: That looks almost exactly like what happened to my buddy's .44 mag. He was hot loading his bullets and it blew apart just like that. He was lucky to not get hurt. The top cleared his head when it blew. Scared the crap out of us. Needless to say, he stopped hot loading after that. Having a gun blow up in your hand changes your perspective. :lolsmack:

Those images have been around since about 2007 and keep flirting with Urban Legend status. When they first appeared, it wasn't the dangers of Chinese ammo they were touting, but the dangers of handloading (Chinese ammo importation has been banned since the Clinton era).

The gun belongs to an Alaska trooper named Jim Truesdale who, at the time, was stationed in Soldotna Alaska. He originally reported that they were hot handloads and his original post with the photos appeared on one of the handloading forums.

Those images have been around since about 2007 and keep flirting with Urban Legend status. When they first appeared, it wasn't the dangers of Chinese ammo they were touting, but the dangers of handloading (Chinese ammo importation has been banned since the Clinton era).

The gun belongs to an Alaska trooper named Jim Truesdale who, at the time, was stationed in Soldotna Alaska. He originally reported that they were hot handloads and his original post with the photos appeared on one of the handloading forums.

You mean a lot of info on the internet is not true???

• 3 months later...

S&W is in Springfield MA, they also manufacture some of the non-German made Walthers. I have many many rounds through a S617 which is a 22 revolver and the timing and firing worked flawless on mass produced bulk ammo. (mostly federal 550 walmart packs)

I also have owned two Walter PPS's and the quality of firearm is second to none for the price. I have since moved to the Kimber line but that is apples and oranges.

This is either a over load of power or.... a stretched casing. There is a more descriptive name for the term I'm saying and it is totally lost in my mind at the moment. 10mm and .40 cal almost always do it and the case actually bows out slightly in the center making it weaker. Which is where my opinion is, that the casing was worn and faulty.

I look at it this way

We need to get the jobs and items back over in the USA. However it is sad when you can not buy a quality Craftsman ratchet anymore. Because when Kmart bought them out; they cheaped everything down. So now the stuff sold at home depot and lowes is actually better than the Craftsman.

Archived