Customer Service 866.965.0400

We are a rare breed

bjoeaull

Question

I love to talk with other car enthusiasts about keeping cars looking great. But as soon as I start to get into any detail about how to clean them correctly I can tell that it just doesn't sink in. These are people that like to have a clean car but will just go about it the wrong way. Like thinking its OK to hand dry a vehicle after it went through a touchless car wash. Then me trying to tell them that it will put swirls in the paint. And I can tell they just don't get it, or just don't want to get it. Makes me realize there are very few of us out there!

Dont get me wrong, I am still learning and I'm no where near as anal as some of you, haha, but I'm pretty sure I might be the most knowledgeable person in my town when it comes to cleaning a car.

25 answers to this question

One of the things I was most happiest about when we were told we were moving to a new HQ wasn't just the nicer, newer building, the additional space in our office, or the quicker route from the house. It was mostly the paved parking lot rather than the gravel one we had before! :D

You have to understand that some of these people will never ever get it! They lease a car and its gone in 2 years or 3 years and then they get another one and the cycle starts all over again. They feel it's a bother to spend a little extra time on their car not knowing while it's a lease they are still responsible for it or else you are getting charged for it. So it takes some extra time using the clay bar or whatever if it's beautiful out smoke a cigar take in the sun smell some Adams products. They also think all wax is the same not true but they say wax is wax yeah ok. Lastly most peoples lives are packed they have no time for this slow down and relax and wax!

I got to really experience this at the Turkey Run last weekend.

Miss Americana (Lynn) was able to talk the owners of lots of amazing look cars to bring them to the Adam's booth (pics here http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/media-results-previous-clinics-shows/14997.htm). While they all looked fantastic, after a few minutes with them we could tell they had not been cared for as lovingly as they deserved.

DaytoneJae was the playing the part of Morpheus by having the owners do the baggie test. Jae worked on claying a beautiful '62 Sateen Silver Corvette 3x2, but left 1/2 the roof undone so others could feel the difference. Folks would look at this fantastic car, but look like this after feeling the un-clayed part - :eek:.

The owner of the orange 32 was so shocked after feeling his paint he started claying it himself! I helped him finish it, then put down BG, and topped that with Americana. Like the other cars we worked on, the paint looked much better once we put the Adam's shine.

Unfortunetly teaching them the 2 bucket wash was a little more than they could handle in one day!

Exactly...there are some guys that just DON'T KNOW. Some of the guys at the tent had heard about claying, but didn't believe it until they saw it in action. Once they SEE/FEEL the benefit and difference on THEIR car, they get it. No quicker way to make a believer than to demo on their own car.

The guy with the 32 was really really shocked...nice guy to talk to and he couldn't wait to smooth out his "100 grit" paint.

My nephew had a job at a carwash where he would dry the cars. I asked him to elaborate a little on their process. He said that they would spray the wheel wells, undercarriage, and front end. Then it would go in to the carwash with the flapping foamy scratch installers, after that it would go through a blow dryer. Finally they would finish the drying process with regular towels (like it would matter at that point) to really make sure those swirls were consistent!

Forgot to mention that they charged for this service, and people paid for it! Sadly I'm sure there was a time in my younger years that I would have thought this process was ok. I'm sure people left this place feeling good, like they were really pampering their vehicle, lol.

I got to really experience this at the Turkey Run last weekend.

Miss Americana (Lynn) was able to talk the owners of lots of amazing look cars to bring them to the Adam's booth (pics here http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/media-results-previous-clinics-shows/14997.htm). While they all looked fantastic, after a few minutes with them we could tell they had not been cared for as lovingly as they deserved.

DaytoneJae was the playing the part of Morpheus by having the owners do the baggie test. Jae worked on claying a beautiful '62 Sateen Silver Corvette 3x2, but left 1/2 the roof undone so others could feel the difference. Folks would look at this fantastic car, but look like this after feeling the un-clayed part - :eek:.

The owner of the orange 32 was so shocked after feeling his paint he started claying it himself! I helped him finish it, then put down BG, and topped that with Americana. Like the other cars we worked on, the paint looked much better once we put the Adam's shine.

Unfortunetly teaching them the 2 bucket wash was a little more than they could handle in one day!

I agree that some people just don't care.

For those that express an interest then if we really want to help people then we need to apply good sales techniques. Two basic concepts apply here:

1) Find out what people want and help them

2) One step ahead, you are a leader -- ten steps ahead, you are a martyr

If I see curiosity in someone about caring for a car I try to not immediately launch into a long discourse about the proper way to do a full detail. They will always glaze over and make a mental note to never talk to me again. (This is being the "ten steps ahead" from above).

Instead of the discourse I ask them questions, express an interest in them and their opinions, what they like about their car or my car, what do they think makes a difference in the car's shine. Use the questions to learn what they want and care about and then meet them where they are. I know there are many steps but I want to keep it simple for them and I bait them with an offer to share what I learned about "__________________" (whatever it was they care about). I don't want to waste time trying to "force the horse to drink" but rather try to "salt" the oats to make them thirsty! This respects them and their opinions and saves me from wasting time just heating the air! :thumbsup:

We are a rare breed and I enjoy being rare! :D

Um no comment!

See I think it goes beyond just detailing for most of us. I think detailing is big for us because it couples to two things, or passion for cars and keeping things nice in general. I would bet money that most of us are just as anal about order with other aspects of our lives. For instance, just like my car is always clean so is my apartment and even my desk at work. I think detailing just so happens to be the combination of two most of our passions, cleanliness and cars.

:iagree:

I, too, have given up trying to explain why I do what I do for my cars finish. And no one wants to hear that the way they are washing their car is the actual CAUSE of their dull finish. And others just don't care, Especially, if they're leasing! Which seems to be more and more popular. More times than I can count, people have said "well, it's a lease, I am not gonna put that kind of time into a car I don't own".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See I think it goes beyond just detailing for most of us. I think detailing is big for us because it couples to two things, or passion for cars and keeping things nice in general. I would bet money that most of us are just as anal about order with other aspects of our lives. For instance, just like my car is always clean so is my apartment and even my desk at work. I think detailing just so happens to be the combination of two most of our passions, cleanliness and cars.

Chas you took the words right out of my mouth. So true I'm sure that most of us on the forum also take good care of all of our possessions. :2thumbs:

I was over my parents house working on my Dad's Colorado and my younger brother came by and told my Dad that is car looked good. He had just washed and waxed it (not with Adam's) I said yea he did a pretty good job but it needed to be clayed pretty bad, no baggie test needed!!:help:

My brother then comes out with " why would anyone ever spend that kinda time on waxing a car. I just go to the oil change place and get a free car wash and I pay $30 for them to apply wax by hand." His SUV is black and it looks like someone took every bath towel ever made and dried the car with them!!!:willy:

I went into all that I do to my three vehicles and I could see his eyes glaze over! I just stop talking no sense wasting my time, he's a lost cause.!!:eek:

Sounds like an A to B person

I was over my parents house working on my Dad's Colorado and my younger brother came by and told my Dad that is car looked good. He had just washed and waxed it (not with Adam's) I said yea he did a pretty good job but it needed to be clayed pretty bad, no baggie test needed!!:help:

My brother then comes out with " why would anyone ever spend that kinda time on waxing a car. I just go to the oil change place and get a free car wash and I pay $30 for them to apply wax by hand." His SUV is black and it looks like someone took every bath towel ever made and dried the car with them!!!:willy:

I went into all that I do to my three vehicles and I could see his eyes glaze over! I just stop talking no sense wasting my time, he's a lost cause.!!:eek:

:iagree::iagree:

Im half way am ready to never let anyone touch my car again.. I'll just do it all myself to save myself the agony and fury of people not understanding my OCD about my cars.. It didn't matter if it was the camaro or this Hyundai don't f up my paint I work diligently to keep 98% perfect. It's time to buy jacks and a oil pan and change my own oil to avoid 'JJ the jacka$$' from causing me more polishing and cleaning the shift knob and steering wheel from the oil they so kindly leave on my interior... Sorry rant complete, I'll have the PC out again this weekend of anyone needs a 'Ryan in his garage' lesson in polishing - :lol:

It's amazing how even 'car people' don't know or care.. I polished my new car a week and 1/2 ago, picked it up from tinting it today to find plenty of micro marring where the fat bastard rubbed against my lightly dusty car GRRRR. This is after telling him to please be careful as I just 'had' it detailed..

Bwahahahaha.

Polishing *ss prints off the side of your vehicle....Priceless!

It's amazing how even 'car people' don't know or care.. I polished my new car a week and 1/2 ago, picked it up from tinting it today to find plenty of micro marring where the fat bastard rubbed against my lightly dusty car GRRRR. This is after telling him to please be careful as I just 'had' it detailed..

Ooooooohh man. I know that feeling. Man I bet you were steamed!!!!! :mad:

See I think it goes beyond just detailing for most of us. I think detailing is big for us because it couples to two things, our passion for cars and keeping things nice in general. I would bet money that most of us are just as anal about order with other aspects of our lives. For instance, just like my car is always clean so is my apartment and even my desk at work. I think detailing just so happens to be the combination of two most of our passions, cleanliness and cars.

We are in that one to five percent bracket of the population who actually care about keeping their possessions in good order. Most folks kinda pretend to care. Very few are interested in the things I do that are perceived as a waste of time. Detailing is one of those things. Most wont put the physical effort and a few bucks to keep up their vehicle.

Archived