Customer Service 866.965.0400

Aircraft Carrier USS John C. Stennis

70'sChevyGirl

I couldn't quit watching this and thinking how very future like this ship is and all of the technology that has been put into it. Folding wings on Fighter Jets? I wonder what our military will have in store for the future?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wLPOTdG8vlc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I would love to take a tour of this ship.:2thumbs:

:patriot: Love the USA!!

I couldn't quit watching this and thinking how very future like this ship is and all of the technology that has been put into it. Folding wings on Fighter Jets? I wonder what our military will have in store for the future?

<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wLPOTdG8vlc" frameBorder=0 width=420 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

I would love to take a tour of this ship.:2thumbs:

:patriot: Love the USA!!

My Christmas Helper this year' date=' his father flew F-14's off of an Aircraft Carrier, and was in the first Gulf War. I don't recall the name, but I do remember him telling me it is the smallest Carrier. Some interesting stories that he has shared with me.

My son has had a huge fascination with Airplanes, Military History, WWII, and Guns. His goal is to join the Air Force or Navy and learn to fly. He is 13 now and has had this goal since about 8 or 9. We were at the state Fair last year and the Navy, and Air Force Recruiters were showing him pictures of planes and they could not stump him. He knew exactly what they were, who made it and some technical details about each one. He is currently in the Civil Air Patrol. Below is a picture of him in his Dress Uniform.

In this picture he is looking all serious

[img']http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae354/LFairbanks31/1211100854a.jpg[/img]

Yep, folding wings are OLD SCHOOL!

I was on the USS Intrepid a couple of months ago. It's just a carrier, not a super carrier like the Stennis and IT was huge. The SC's dwarf the standard carriers. They're too wide to fit in the Panama Canal too.

Here is one I took while on deck during flight demonstrations and of me, my father-in-law and my daughter after the Tiger Cruise ended. Being able to go on the TR CVN-71, was a once in a lifetime opportunity. We were one of the last ones off since my daughter worked in the reactor department.

Len. Are you on a re-supply ship? And where is the ice cream??? :D Thank you for your service.

Yeah I was on a replenishment ship. I used to work for Military Sealift Command so I got to see a fair share of the fleet underway. Here are a few more of the pics I took while out to sea in no particular order.

DSCN0024.jpg

DSCN3031.jpg

DSCN0276.jpg

DSCN0548.jpg

Getting to refuel helicopters was one of the perks of the job.

PC040031.jpg

PC040041.jpg

Supporting the earthquake relief in Haiti.

P2180019.jpg

P2200036.jpg

DSCN0191.jpg

PA280051.jpg

DSCN0153.jpg

DSCN0546.jpg

DSCN0565.jpg

DSCN0582.jpg

DSCN0586.jpg

DSCN0589.jpg

P3160072.jpg

DSCN0005.jpg

AmmotransferwiththeFlint.jpg

Going through the Suez Canal you can barely make out the destroyer following us in the haze.

P6180004.jpg

DSCN3092.jpg

DSCN0215.jpg

DSCN0177.jpg

DSCN0216.jpg

P6160003.jpg

DSCN0233.jpg

P7030043.jpg

P7030031.jpg

DSCN0220.jpg

DSCN0004.jpg

Yes, those are real bullets...

PA270004.jpg

Ammo.jpg

P7290015.jpg

P7290017.jpg

Ignore the hair and beard in the last pic. I'd been out to sea for way too long. :lolsmack: And though the thanks are appreciated, I was just doing my job, so it's not necessary. We were all civil service mariners, not actual military personnel. They're the real heroes. :patriot:

In one of those bottom pics it looks like your refueling??? Just curious how many gallons per minute can be moved, out of curiosity.

Those were some cool pics. I will have to share them with my son. Thanks for sharing.

The ship I was on in that picture, the USNS Arctic, can pump 3000 gallons per minute from each pump. That requires a 500hp AC motor just to drive the pump! To give you an idea, one day the Truman took just under 2 million gallons of fuel and the UNREP lasted almost 6 hours with two stations pumping. That's still nowhere near as long as it takes to onload or offload all of a carrier's ammo while underway.

I have a lot more pictures like those, but I figured post too many and people would just get bored with them.

So I showed your pics to the kid and got an education...lol. He was telling me what was in the pictures and even knew that 3rd pic in was a San Antonio class ship. I didn't even know that. We did a search of the F-18 (the planes on the Carrier Deck) and saw this. It was kinda cool, so we thought we would share it.

Yeah that was the USS Mesa Verde in that pic, still a pretty new ship at the time. In fact, they were just doing training drills coming along side us. We never actually transferred anything to them.

So I showed your pics to the kid and got an education...lol. He was telling me what was in the pictures and even knew that 3rd pic in was a San Antonio class ship. I didn't even know that. We did a search of the F-18 (the planes on the Carrier Deck) and saw this. It was kinda cool, so we thought we would share it.

Love it!!!

Archived