Customer Service 866.965.0400

Should I spray with IPA, do machine polish or both?

bceagleace

Question

All - I did my wife's car with the PC.

I did a full correction last week, but I did not get around to sealant, so I put on a layer of buttery wax only.

NOW, I have time to do it right. After a two bucket wash (which I will add a dash of all purpose cleaner to), should I:

a) spray/wipe with IPA solution to strip any left over buttery wax off with, THEN do one or two coats of super sealant?

B) just do super sealant after the wash?

c) do a fine machine polish, then IPA, then do super sealant?

I left out claying because I did it last week and I'm assuming the paint will be reasonably ok... if not, I will of course clay

13 answers to this question

I want to say just start applying sealant after the wash, but I've never stripped with the apc/shampoo mix.

To be on the safe side I would spray/wipe IPA solution 50/50 mixture

Would you think I could spray with IPA, and then ove right to sealant? In other words, skip the fine machine polish?

Only use FMP if it needs and correction. If you spray sealant over the buttery, the life of the sealant will only last as long as the buttery, which isn't very long, relative to the sealant.

Right - I don't need the correction since it was done, but obviously need to remove the buttery.

The APC mixed in the wash did a pretty good job of breaking it up... not nearly as much beading when I rinsed it as the initial pre-wash / pre-foam rinse.

I'm going to do an IPA spray down, then sealant.

Dylan had mentioned this in another post and I think it applies here too, if you have buttery wax on your car and then put super sealant on top then you will not get the true longevity that the super sealant can provide since the super sealant will be adhereing to the paint they way it should, if at all. I this case it might be better served to just strip whatever is on there and put super sealant straight on.

OK - I think the verdict is:

1) two bucket wash with some APC in the mix to help strip the buttery

2) spray down and wipe with IPA solution

3) apply super sealant, two coats

4) enjoy!

Pretty much what I would do. No need to FMP again...if your car got defects in a week, then you didn't remove them all in the first place or something scratched up your vehicle.

When you add APC to the mix, you get WAY more foaming during your wash, plus it stays foamy the entire wash, I love it! I actually prefer to add a little every wash, and just take the few minutes to wax it again.

If your just trying to strip the buttery, your really don't have to do APC wash AND IPA. No harm in doing both, and that's what I would do, but you don't have to. It's not like a coat of armor, it's just a super thin application of wax.

If your just trying to strip the buttery, your really don't have to do APC wash AND IPA. No harm in doing both, and that's what I would do, but you don't have to. It's not like a coat of armor, it's just a super thin application of wax.

Agreed, one or the other should be fine.

Also, you'll need to wait 12 to 24 hours In between both applications of the sealant if you're planning on two coats of sealant.

Personally, I would do one coat of sealant, wait 24 hrs and do a coat of Americana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived