Customer Service 866.965.0400

Did I ruin a pad?

Kingsford

Question

When I was going over our new fire truck with FMP & the white pad, I went over a strip of metal that I thought would of been clear coated... WRONG! Well now the pad is kind of grey in the middle. I washed it really good twice with APC and warm water.

Is it ruined?

Updated:

e4f2d32f.jpg

10 answers to this question

When I was going over our new fire truck with FMP & the white pad, I went over a strip of metal that I thought would of been clear coated... WRONG! Well now the pad is kind of grey in the middle. I washed it really good twice with APC and warm water.

Is it ruined?

No....as long as it's cleaned and doesn't throw off the balance when polishing (ie. excesive chunks missing, tears, etc.) there should be nothing wrong with the pad. Plus...let it soak for a minute or so, rub it in with your hands and blast it with the hose. It should come clean.

I polished an entire chrome bumper on a truck I just did with the 4" pad and FMP/Revive and the pad was black. It all came out....but I won't ever use it on paint again.

I polished an entire chrome bumper on a truck I just did with the 4" pad and FMP/Revive and the pad was black. It all came out....but I won't ever use it on paint again.

See this is what I'm worried about everyone always says if you use it to polish metal dont use it on paint again.... especially my truck being black... :(

See this is what I'm worried about everyone always says if you use it to polish metal dont use it on paint again.... especially my truck being black... :(

I think that's playing it safe man.....I have 4 sets of the orange focus pads, so just to play it safe I regulated that one for glass and metal polishing. If it's clean and brushed with a stiff brissel brush, then you shouldn't have any issues though. Plus, you only did a little piece by accident, you should be fine.

Oh crap....THROW IT OUT!

Just kidding, IMHO....clean it really well, let air dry and use it. That's not that bad. If I threw out pads every time I got some marks on them, I'd be broke.

I even take a pad brush to mine before use to ensure no contaminants.

or

You could even do a test area after you clean and dry it, and see if it's marring at all, but I doubt it.

You're good man. My first full detail with the PC, I used cheap painters tape to tape off stuff. I apparently was hitting it so much that the blue came off all over the pad, and it didn't come out when I washed it. After a few more details and cleanings, it just barely looks like an off white color. Then my most recent detail, I tried to get a badge I thought was plastic, but was infact metal. It turned my orange pad black, and I was able to scrub almost all of it out. Pad still works fine.

Archived