Customer Service 866.965.0400

Getting out from under Directv, Any lawyers

3PedalMINI

Fios is offering an incredible deal, one that would save about 165/month. We have directv and 6 months ago we signed up again for service so we have 18 months togo. Well, we have one room that has been nothing but issues, DTV has sent out numerous boxes to all have the same issues. This is one of the reasons we want to move back to fios.

Am i correct in saying the DTV is in breach of contract? for not providing the service were paying for? going back to what i learned in law i would say so. I know it starts off at $480 and then every month you fulfill your contract they knock of 20 bucks. So as of today we would owe them roughly $360. granted if we had to pay the ETF then it would only take 2 1/2 to recoup the cost with fios.

TIA for any advice. Here are the two contracts in question.

Customer Agreement

Equipment Lease Addendum

As a former top 50 DirecTV reseller and someone who worked very closely with the company for about 4 years I'll just say you'd spend less in termination fees than you would trying to fight it in court. DTV is a juggernaut in the market and they didn't get there by paying out. Trust me on this, you'd be barking up the wrong tree.

Some advice:

You might want to look into that rolling contract termination. Its typically a flat rate and being a national company the fees shouldn't vary anywhere. $350 is the usual early termination fee regardless of the point in the agreement.

Your other option is to drop DTV to the lowest possible plan you can and ride out the contract. Figure if you're saving as much as you think you will then you should easily more than cover the cost of the lowest DTV plan tied to one receiver (the lease on added boxes can be terminated at any time, just send the boxes back) Maintain that one box on a $30 plan, keep it in your closet somewhere... then when the 18 months are up send it back and kill the contract.

Plead your case as you've come into a financial hardship and can't afford the big package anymore. It won't get you out of the contract, but it will keep them from denying you the option of dropping to a bare bones plan and killing all your extra boxes.

Plead your case as you've come into a financial hardship and can't afford the big package anymore. It won't get you out of the contract, but it will keep them from denying you the option of dropping to a bare bones plan and killing all your extra boxes. <!-- / message -->

That's ridiculous. How can a company deny you from changing your plan?

That's ridiculous. How can a company deny you from changing your plan?

That's why it's called a contract. You both agree to terms that both feel are beneficial at the start of the deal. It's not like you can call your mortgage company an say "we find we're not using the third bedroom, so from here on out we're just going to pay 2/3rd of the mortgage. (Well, you can't do that morally, at least. :mad::mad::mad:)

I'm with Dylan, though -- the easiest, least stressful way is to just pay the early termination fee and wash your hands of DirectTV. In the grand scheme of things it's not worth the cost and agony of trying to fight it.

One other thing -- I'm no expert on any of this, but I wonder if pleading poverty/inability to pay allows them to ding your credit?

Err thanks guys, Im going to call them and still try and play hardball. I doubt it will help acording to what you said Dylan but its worth a shot. If i drop it down to the lowest cost/month at 30 dollars it will cost me more in the long run then just paying them outright :mad: 18x29.99=539... UGh!

How exactly would you save $165.00 a month from switching to Verizon Fios?

our direct TV bill is 184/month. This is because we have so many receivers and also pay for the movie packages. Since verizon wants us to come back to fios TV they are offering the bundle package for 89.99/month. Including phone, internet & TV. currently we pay $172 for phone and internet. (international calls, faster internet 25/25) with bundling it all together they actually are giving us an international plan and bumping us up to internet speeds of 35/35) and we still get all of our movie packages.

Im an authorized dealer for tivo so i get the boxes at cost and also get the monthly service for all boxes in my house for next to nothing per month. Not a bad deal. I confirmed with Verizon that this price is good for 2 year. Also, they are giving a $150 visa gift card if we sign up before the end of December.

It dawned on me why they are so desperate to get us back for TV. We were one of the early adopters of fios. I read an article in CEpro when it released years ago that it cost verizon 14-22k to light up someones home because of the equipment costs. TV is a huge money maker and its almost a 95% profit. We bagged fios TV years ago to go back to direct TV there for removing most of there profit. I also read that fios gets around paying some taxes if your a tv subscriber because they can claim the TV is coming over broadband rather then cable. IDK all i know is its a bloody good deal.

Ill let you all know how i make out, Thanks for the replies. So it doesn't matter that they are not providing the service we are paying for?

So it doesn't matter that they are not providing the service we are paying for?

Not at all. I use to work for Comcast (cust service) and DirecTv (installs & troubleshooting). You only pay for what you get. If your not getting the service your paying for, call them and they will credit you. Especially being that your only having problems in 1 room.

Sounds like it's not the box but the wiring. The cable ran from the dish to the houses panel outside is DirecTv's responsibility. The cables ran from the houses panel outside to each room is your responsibility. They can switch the wires around on the dish so that room is getting signal from a different wire and if your still having issues, it's probably the inside wiring. If your not, it could be the LnB on the dish.

Not at all. I use to work for Comcast (cust service) and DirecTv (installs & troubleshooting). You only pay for what you get. If your not getting the service your paying for, call them and they will credit you. Especially being that your only having problems in 1 room.

Sounds like it's not the box but the wiring. The cable ran from the dish to the houses panel outside is DirecTv's responsibility. The cables ran from the houses panel outside to each room is your responsibility. They can switch the wires around on the dish so that room is getting signal from a different wire and if your still having issues, it's probably the inside wiring. If your not, it could be the LnB on the dish.

Well, that was my first thought but since i have all the gear to test my wiring it all passes with flying colors. I have everything home run into a structured wiring panel so the only splitter I have is the Swm 16 multi-switch.

Just got off the phone with DTV again and they say that it isnt a wiring/lnb issue. I also confirmed that it would cost me 345 for the ETF. She escalated it to another management level and will be calling me sometime soon. She said if they cant resolve the problem usually i have two choices. Upgrade the room to a non SD receiver or relieve me of my contract....Which i doubt. Apparently It is cheaper for them to let me go then it is to send out a "level two" tech :confused:

Well, that was my first thought but since i have all the gear to test my wiring it all passes with flying colors. I have everything home run into a structured wiring panel so the only splitter I have is the Swm 16 multi-switch.

Just got off the phone with DTV again and they say that it isnt a wiring/lnb issue. I also confirmed that it would cost me 345 for the ETF. She escalated it to another management level and will be calling me sometime soon. She said if they cant resolve the problem usually i have two choices. Upgrade the room to a non SD receiver or relieve me of my contract....Which i doubt. Apparently It is cheaper for them to let me go then it is to send out a "level two" tech :confused:

if they won't relieve you of your contract, it sounds like the easiest and cheapest thing to do is pay the ETF and move on with your life.

my dad switches cable/satellite companies all the time. he's gone from cable, to Dish, to DirecTV, back to cable, to ATT U-Verse, and now is back on DirecTV. funny how the satellites are the only ones that only do contracts, and cable you have the option of month to month, or pay less per month with a contract. and he is never satified with their service, always complaining about the increase in monthly charges, shotty reception, etc. but he mostly changes when contracts are up and can get a better deal and free installation elsewhere.

i have ATT U-Verse in my 1 bedroom apartment with 2 receivers, U200, no movie channels, and internet. i pay $100 per month for the first 6 months and $150 per month after that. i'm in a month to month contract and i'll be moving again in July next year, so i just have to ride it out til then. but my service has been great! the only problem i ever had was my recorded shows being erased when a transformer blew and knocked out our power while we were watching it. lights have gone out before but if the box was off, our shows didn't get deleted.

Just an Update. They sent out a "level 2" tech on saturday, checked everything and confirmed the box was dead. The box he replaced it with lasted for an hour and then died.

I was on a jobsite today and the DTV installer was there and said the SD dvr's are garbage. So i called today and after an hour and a half of being on the phone they relieved me of my contract. Until they can redo the the SD DVR's im not going to be there replacing a box every other night.

Soo, Helo Fios and Tivo!:banana::banana:

Just an Update. They sent out a "level 2" tech on saturday, checked everything and confirmed the box was dead. The box he replaced it with lasted for an hour and then died.

I was on a jobsite today and the DTV installer was there and said the SD dvr's are garbage. So i called today and after an hour and a half of being on the phone they relieved me of my contract. Until they can redo the the SD DVR's im not going to be there replacing a box every other night.

Soo, Helo Fios and Tivo!:banana::banana:

Brendon, fill me in on the "SD" dvr's. I've actually been considering leaving our local cable company and switching to DirectTV.

Brendon, fill me in on the "SD" dvr's. I've actually been considering leaving our local cable company and switching to DirectTV.

Standard Definition DVR's.

If you switch and need HD make sure your request an HR24 DVR. these boxes are the best they have every made! with the new GUI rolling out over the months the thing may just rival Tivo.

Seriously, if i didnt have so many TV's and need a DVR on each then direct TV works out to be cheaper. (they will also Always be cheaper the crapcast) Their customer service has changed over the years, slowly getting worse BUT still light years ahead of comcast's. I have no doubt ill be back to Direct TV at a later point.

Stay away from Standard Definition DVR's and you'll be ok. If you are using cable, and switch to DTV you will see an incredible difference in picture quality. When i do an Installation and my customers see the TV on they comment how good it looks, i just stand there nodding my head, thinking...If you only knew what it COULD look like :lolsmack:

Also, watch the installer every step of the way. And make sure if they have to drill into your roof or side of the house they do a drip loop and seal everything.

Stay away from Standard Definition DVR's and you'll be ok.

We have replaced our SD SVR 2 times over a 4 year span, but have not had the issues that Brendon has! My HD DVR is about 5 years old and has never had an issue. We got the new GUI last night and I am still adjusting to it.

Standard Definition DVR's.

If you switch and need HD make sure your request an HR24 DVR. these boxes are the best they have every made! with the new GUI rolling out over the months the thing may just rival Tivo.

Seriously, if i didnt have so many TV's and need a DVR on each then direct TV works out to be cheaper. (they will also Always be cheaper the crapcast) Their customer service has changed over the years, slowly getting worse BUT still light years ahead of comcast's. I have no doubt ill be back to Direct TV at a later point.

Stay away from Standard Definition DVR's and you'll be ok. If you are using cable, and switch to DTV you will see an incredible difference in picture quality. When i do an Installation and my customers see the TV on they comment how good it looks, i just stand there nodding my head, thinking...If you only knew what it COULD look like :lolsmack:

Also, watch the installer every step of the way. And make sure if they have to drill into your roof or side of the house they do a drip loop and seal everything.

I have The hd DVR on all three TVs, and with whole house, I can watch any of them from any TV.

Archived