Customer Service 866.965.0400

Hazy Paint Micro-Swirls after FMP

Sardian

Question

Ok, so my car is new (Mini Countryman) and is shiny but has light scratches and swirls.

I wash, clay, wash. I used a PC.

I then use Swirl and haze remover then fine machine polish on one door. I go slow (I watched Junkman's video of how fast to go).

All the original swirls are gone but the paint is slightly dull and has tiny little "micro-swirls" all over. So I move to the finishing pad with the fine machine polish and same results.

I ended up doing the whole car with the white pad and fine machine polish and the whole car is this way, tiny little swirls all over the car that you have to shine a bright light on to see.

7 hours to do both sides (I didn't do the hood or trunk) so I was going plenty slow, it's a mini, not a big car.

To me it was better before I started. Is my paint soft, hard, why is it like this? To my wife it looks perfect but to me with a bright light it was better before. Lots of questions.

Russell, what part of Alabama do you live in? If you're close maybe I could swing by and help you figure this out.

That's a very gracious offer.

I live about 20 miles north of Birmingham. I have looked in the past at your site to see where your located to have a local source of Adam's products, but it looks like your a little over an hour away.

I'm gonna give it a go this weekend and work it as mentioned here and I'm sure I'll get better results. But I may have to call for back up after that :help:

This is an AWESOME Company!!

Come to Miami PLease!!! lol:rockon:

Pleasure is mine! No need to go Green, Typically Orange, then White is all you will need to get perfect...

As I did on the new paint on the Corvette in that video.

We can walk you through the process, on the phone if you like! Get your products together, opened, ready, and a phone with speakerphone.

Then, call and I'll walk you through personally!

720-473-7100

Thanks again!:pc:

:iagree: Wow! Nice work.

Thanks,

I haven't gotten around to working on the white again yet, it'll most likely be a Saturday evening project. I'm too busy burning up the roads in it right now (well, actually haven't driven it since Sunday (rain), but it's going out tonight!!).

2011 was the first year that mini introduced ceramic clear coat :eek:

It does take a bit of time but you will get it, I too was having the same issue on my mini. When i had done the Q5 i learned that slightly more pressure is required (16-17lbs) I starting digging around and found on NAM that BMW introduced ceramic clear coats to MINI. I used my technique i found on the audi and it came out flawless.

Also, i did learn that slightly less polish then what adam shows in his videos works out well for audis/bmws/minis. 10-15% less.

Also, Make sure your pad is clean clean clean!

Looks great, I love the roof shot! please please get her tinted and lowered. Im seriously thinking about getting a countryman ALL4, slamming it and double limoing it.:jester: Funny, because i was one of the guys that avidly joined the campaign to make mini STOP designing the countryman. :uk:

2011 was the first year that mini introduced ceramic clear coat :eek:

It does take a bit of time but you will get it, I too was having the same issue on my mini. When i had done the Q5 i learned that slightly more pressure is required (16-17lbs) I starting digging around and found on NAM that BMW introduced ceramic clear coats to MINI. I used my technique i found on the audi and it came out flawless.

Also, i did learn that slightly less polish then what adam shows in his videos works out well for audis/bmws/minis. 10-15% less.

Also, Make sure your pad is clean clean clean!

Looks great, I love the roof shot! please please get her tinted and lowered. Im seriously thinking about getting a countryman ALL4, slamming it and double limoing it.:jester: Funny, because i was one of the guys that avidly joined the campaign to make mini STOP designing the countryman. :uk:

It's good to hear someone is having luck with Mini paint. It is by far the funnest car I have ever driven, and fortunately I live in a very curvy road :D

I do plan to get the windows tinted but I'm gonna leave it at it's standard height. I didn't get the All4 since Alabama isn't much for snow.

Top looks amazing, incredible. You Can do it.

Lack of pressure and too much polish will slow down the process for sure. Plus not seeing the product flash easily on white can be a contributing factor. Adam has his pad rotate very slowly (higher down pressure). Gotta watch the amount of polish - 3 pea sized drops per 2x2' area are enough to get it done. You may want to do the priming of the pad as as Adam does when the pad is first put on for your session. After that, 3 small pea sized drops will be plenty.

To check your pressure (by watching the pad rotation speed), get a silver sharpie and make a 1" wide mark on the pressure plate out near the edge so you can see the rotation -- that helps a lot. If you start seeing the grooves in the pad getting shallower (SHR), or a lot of dusting, or 1/4 of a match head sized chunks of orange stuff on the finish, you have put too much polish on the pad. Now, to clear this out of the pad, just give the pad a spray of Detail Spray and work a 2x2' area. If the pad is clogged, there is enough polish in the pad to work with, the Detail Spray will 'wake it up' and bring some of it out of the pad.

I usually alternate one pass with 3 pea sized drops of polish, and one pass with just a spray of Detail Spray to help keep the pad unclogged. The pad foam combined with the polish gets the job done, not just the polish.

You are on the way, no worries :)

Take Adam up on his offer, I would! :D

Ceramic Clear Coats can be a real bear even with the Flex. I didn't know it was Ceramic!

Thanks for the info Brendon!

YUP! Merc and BMW(some of the 7 series...and well of course Minis) introduced the ceramic clear coat to combat some of the issues their softer clears had. IT's a HUGE PITA to work with. There are polishes and compounds out there made specifically for dealing with ceramic clear coats. However, you should be able to get it just fine using adams.

I'm actually a big fan of ceramic clear coats as they stand up to abuse a lot better.

Thanks Adam for your time,

So, should I use the green polish first, just like your video, even on a new car?

Russell

The newness of the car has nothing to do with the product you are using, but the condition of the paint does. Try the 2 x 2 section ang get that perfect first, then you will know what you will have to use on the rest of the car. Chances are you won't need the SSHR....but you may. I would start out with the SHR...check your finish. Then move to the FMP...check your finish again. If you likey....then procede witht the rest of the car.

Like these guys stated. Perfect that first 2 x 2 section first, with the least agressive product to get the job done. Good luck bro.

The first thing would be to post up some pics, ones that show what you are seeing. That helps everyone on the forum see what you are seeing. A few ideas are below. If you can take a video of you working on the finish with the PC, it is very helpful.

1: Did the SHR flash (go from milky to clearish vaseline looking)? Often when getting used to the process, we don't work the SHR long enough for it to flash, and that might be what you are seeing.

2: When you use SHR/orange pad, you must follow it with FMP/white pad, it's a 2 step process. The last polish must be the FMP, and that cleans up what is left behind by the SHR/orange pad.

3: I would say, go and try a 2'x2' area - use the SHR/orange pad and work it until the polish gets to be a real clear looking film, almost like a greasy fingerprint. Then follow with the FMP/white pad over the same area. The process is to work the 2x2' area until you get the results you want, then repeat those steps (even multiple passes) on each 2x2' area of the rest of the vehicle.

4: Did you use too much polish? Only 3 pea sized drops are needed and a spray of DS on the pad - if you had lots of polish on the pad, it actually slows down the correction. I found this out by experience.

5: how long it takes - you have to do the work and number of passes that it takes to get each 2x2 section of paint to your desired level of correction. You can hurry and run the polisher over the paint in 7 hours, but the correction might not be as good as you want. Junkman says "it takes as long as it takes" and it is very true.

If you say "I have to get this done in 7 hours", it is better to say "I will work on it for 7 hours" and work less body panels but get those in the condition you want, rather than having every panel touched with polish but with results that are less than what you want. If I am short on time (this is my only vehicle, my DD) I will do a few panels and get them to the condition I want, and save the other panels for another weekend. For me, if I don't get the results I want, there is no point in my doing the work. :)

I am not a mini expert, but I understand that the BMWs have a hard clear coat, so this might be the case with the Mini too, since it is made by them.

Thanks for your reply.

I may not have let the Swirl and haze remover flash enough on the 1st panel but I only used it on one panel. I did let the fine machine polish flash as it was clear when I finished with it.

I think my biggest problem is I'm worried that I'm going to ruin my paint. I worked the 1st door for about 2 hours trying to get it like I wanted and I finally gave up on it since I was afraid I was going to rub a hole in my paint/clear. It's white but I assume it as a clear?

Archived