Customer Service 866.965.0400

How Quickly We Forget

eric@thompsonracing.us

Some of the old footage they show on the History station is heartbreaking.

My father told me stories about Pearl Harbor before he died. He remembered hearing the announcement over the radio that it had been attacked.

Someday I would like to go to the Memorial sight in Hawaii. I am sure it is a very emotional place.

You have to remember, though, it was the Japanese GOVERNMENT/Imperial Family that waged war and dictated all the atrocities. You can be sure that millions of unwilling (though forced into complicity) Japanese people suffered immensely as well. And look up the damage we did to them in fire-bombing their cities... holy crap. We forced them into submission, but the general population wanted to end the war far earlier than the leaders did.

In time we must all forgive -- that's the Christian thing to do, right? Harboring the hatred over generations is counterproductive. :thumbsup:

dont see too many in michigan driving them not gunna lie! ;):D. makes me happy to see them pull up in fords and GM's when i worked at the golf course!

side note: tonight in History Channel WWII in HD is on I believe, its a great watch for any of those interested, especially today.

You have to remember, though, it was the Japanese GOVERNMENT/Imperial Family that waged war and dictated all the atrocities. You can be sure that millions of unwilling (though forced into complicity) Japanese people suffered immensely as well. And look up the damage we did to them in fire-bombing their cities... holy crap. We forced them into submission, but the general population wanted to end the war far earlier than the leaders did.

In time we must all forgive -- that's the Christian thing to do, right? Harboring the hatred over generations is counterproductive. :thumbsup:

Totally agree.

All of the hatred that goes on for decades, centuries, millenia sometimes just does no good:

Jewish and Muslims

Serbs and Croatians

Do we hold this hatred over the Germans too and Italians? How about the British for holding down the colonists? Should the American Indians hate all the 'white folk' too?

Hatfields and McCoys?

Pearl Harbor was a nasty deal because they attacked before waging war. It wasn't war, it was simply an attack. No different than 911.

I don't hate the Japanese and am not saying to hate them. But I don't support their country any more than I can.

Being partially Native American, I don't hate white people because I look at family pictures and the beaches my family lived on, in American terms "owned," are now all developed. That's life.

Pearl Harbor was a nasty deal because they attacked before waging war. It wasn't war, it was simply an attack. No different than 911.

I don't hate the Japanese and am not saying to hate them. But I don't support their country any more than I can.

Being partially Native American, I don't hate white people because I look at family pictures and the beaches my family lived on, in American terms "owned," are now all developed. That's life.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an anti-war guy. Sometimes it's necessary.

However, did we, the U.S., officially wage war on Iraq prior to invading both times? How about Afghanistan? How do you officially wage war? Do you send a certified letter, or just call the leader of the other country? Do you apply with the UN for permission?

I'm not making light of this subject at all, but doesn't that sort of take all element of surprise out of it?

A country is supposed to order a formal declaration of war, it's in our Constitution as well:

Declaration of war by the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We did the day after Pearl Harbor:

United States declaration of war upon Japan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We should never forget what happened and those who sacrificed themselves to keep us safe. But the Japan of 2011 is not the Japan of 1941. I'm not going to hold this generation of Japanese responsible for what a past generation did. Sure, I'd much rather buy American and support our economy, but sometimes it's just not possible, for many potential reasons.

A country is supposed to order a formal declaration of war, it's in our Constitution as well:

We did the day after Pearl Harbor:

United States declaration of war upon Japan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Very interesting. Thank you.

As I researched that, it was interesting to me that the U.S. has only declared war on nations during 5 wars. No declaration was made for any of the Iraq and Afghanistan 'wars'. These were "military engagements authorized by Congress". Then there are the U.N. ones, the Persian Gulf war being one of them (also a Congress authorized military engagement).

Admittedly, I'm a bit confused. Given that history shows most of the time, war is not 'declared', when do you, and when do you not? And if there's no consistency, what's the point?

We beat 'em.

We can drive their cars, eat their food, watch their TV's, etc.

The ones that started the war are long gone. They paid for their arrogance with their lives.

What came of of their country is here because we rebuilt it.

Spoils of war.

There were a lot of US soldiers of Japanese descent fighting the nazis in Europe. Can't hold a grudge against them now, can we?

Some folks still want to fight the Civil War.

Guess what? It's over. The world moved on. I can eat Southern BBQ in a Chicago restaurant and be perfectly content.

I watched a show recently about a reunion of folks that fought on both sides at Iwo Jima. If those men can move on after that, then anyone can.

Another thought.

How can WWII vets drive a VW, Mercedes or BMW? Or eat in an Italian restaurant? Were the Axis in Europe better than the Japanese somehow?

Just thinkin out loud........

The OP said "how quickly we forget". What we need to remember is not who started it, but those who gave their lives to finish it. Pearl Harbor day isn't about the Japanese. It's about those who sacrificed on December 7, 1941 and those who followed them in their struggle to rid the world of tyranny. Time spent thinking about the bad guy is time not spent remembering the good guys.

Whether or not someone buys American or foreign is a decision based on today's economies, and should have nothing to do with what happened decades ago.

The only reason we need to remember those days is to prevent them from happening again, whether it's Pearl Harbor or 911. Learn the lesson, move on, and make the world a better place.:patriot:

While wanting to honor those that gave their lives, and the impact of their service on their families (my dad was a WWII vet and effected our family in countless ways..) I think we honor them even more by looking into the truth. I hope those really interested should at least look at the following link:

http://www.apfn.org/apfn/pearl_harbor.htm

It's time we re-think how we empire build, and how a very few are heaping all manner of pain and suffering on those that are not dealing with the all available information and being manipulated into doing things they may not otherwise do.

Regards,

Mike

Archived