Customer Service 866.965.0400

2012 GTR Kills a 400K Lexus LFA

chrys7

Sorry but even towards the end it still looked like Godzilla was pulling away.

I don't think the launch had anything to do with "who's faster" it just got a jump on the LFA. I think it would have still slowly pulled away.

LFA power-to-weight ratio = 5.9 lb/hp

GTR power-to-weight ratio = 7.5 lb/hp

Traction out of the hole has everything to do with it. The LFA is moving over a full 1.5lbs less per hp meaning if you took the off the line difference out of the equation it would be much faster. In a race like that, the car that gets out quicker will have an advantage and even appear to be pulling ahead over a certain distance... once they really got up to top end speeds only then would the LFA start to reel it in assuming they're close to equally aerodynamic.

If it has 4 wheels and goes like stink I'm intrigued. Sure, not my first choice of car given a 6 figure price tag, but still would love to experience driving them.

Yea, me too. Heck, you could make me happy by offering to let me drive a forklift or a tractor. :lolsmack:

Both really nice cars... But I don't care to much for theGTR. The design isn't that great, but yes its fast. Now When are you ever going to use that that HP? If I had a lot of money, I would definitly go for an exotic car over something with a crazy amount of horse power. Exotics turn more heads. Perfect example.....

http://<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JXrvhw09blU" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

LFA power-to-weight ratio = 5.9 lb/hp

GTR power-to-weight ratio = 7.5 lb/hp

Traction out of the hole has everything to do with it. The LFA is moving over a full 1.5lbs less per hp meaning if you took the off the line difference out of the equation it would be much faster. In a race like that, the car that gets out quicker will have an advantage and even appear to be pulling ahead over a certain distance... once they really got up to top end speeds only then would the LFA start to reel it in assuming they're close to equally aerodynamic.

The biggest reason the GTR smokes everything in 0-60 range is the short gearing, creating lots of low end torque and an early powerband peak.

Both really nice cars... But I don't care to much for theGTR. The design isn't that great, but yes its fast. Now When are you ever going to use that that HP? If I had a lot of money, I would definitly go for an exotic car over something with a crazy amount of horse power. Exotics turn more heads. Perfect example.....

I would much more take an aventador over a GT-R as well but gotta remember this:

GT-R: 100k black edition loaded

Aventador: 387k without mark up

4 times as expensive, I know a guy that has an Aventador ordered and a GT-R soon as a DD, anyone that says they would take the GT-R over the Aventador if money wasnt an issue at all is lying through their teeth. :thumbsup:

BTW I have driven a '08 and a '10 GT-R and they were the most fun cars stock that I have ever driven, someday I hope to be able to own a used one, great bang for your buck, thats for sure. That or a ZR1 :D haha, but im a fan of AWD.

Both really nice cars... But I don't care to much for theGTR. The design isn't that great, but yes its fast. Now When are you ever going to use that that HP?

Dave had no problem using that power when he picked me up from the airport in his Black Edition! That thing was fast, and I know fast. It was also the smoothest shifting sports car that I have ever been in. Very comfortable to drive as a daily driver.

I ain't real crazy about the look either but hell, it was a lot easier to get out of than his Lambo's. I'm getting too old to be climbing out of exotic sports cars. I have probably bought my last sports car. From here on out, it's gonna be something that sits at my butt level and has a lot of sidewall on the tires. :willy:

aj_lambo.jpg

True but still even at the end of the qurter mile it didnt look to me that the LFA was closing that gap.

I would ratehr see a roll on with them. The GTR will beat anything off the line while the LFA is RWD

Dave had no problem using that power when he picked me up from the airport in his Black Edition! That thing was fast, and I know fast. It was also the smoothest shifting sports car that I have ever been in. Very comfortable to drive as a daily driver.

I ain't real crazy about the look either but hell, it was a lot easier to get out of than his Lambo's. I'm getting too old to be climbing out of exotic sports cars. I have probably bought my last sports car. From here on out, it's gonna be something that sits at my butt level and has a lot of sidewall on the tires. :willy:

aj_lambo.jpg

Dayum AJ! Orange sure does look good on you! :bow:

The GTR is an awesome machine. I looked at them when I bought my Viper. They are a great daily driver. When I go to work from the city, I see at least 2 a day.

They def lack in the appearance and still get their a** kicked by a Viper on a road track! Two things, they are too heavy and short 100hp.

The ZR1 is WAY overpriced for it's performance, $85k max new.

The GTR was priced well a few years ago, but have gone up since. They are not a $100k car. I wouldn't pay more than $80k loaded, new. I didnt' pay that for my Viper either, new.

I'm not into the LFA at all. I think they missed the mark on that bigtime.

Back to the drag race, that was def a bogus race. Need to get a real driver in the LFA to make it legit. He was late on the line by a long shot. 60' is everything in a drag race when hp is close. Hand drops are for show only. Take em to a real track with Ranger and Jamie Furman! Better be MIR!

The thing about the GTR is it's a fantastic starting point. They aren't THAT fast stock, but have a ton of potential. If I didn't need my truck to haul Adam's stuff around, I'd have one as a DD!

The GTR is an awesome machine. I looked at them when I bought my Viper. They are a great daily driver. When I go to work from the city, I see at least 2 a day.

They def lack in the appearance and still get their a** kicked by a Viper on a road track! Two things, they are too heavy and short 100hp.

The ZR1 is WAY overpriced for it's performance, $85k max new.

The GTR was priced well a few years ago, but have gone up since. They are not a $100k car. I wouldn't pay more than $80k loaded, new. I didnt' pay that for my Viper either, new.

I don't think the performance differential is great enough to qualify as an *** kicking; it would be a second or so on a typical medium length track, and that's assuming a good driver, since an average driver would probably be noticeably faster in a GT-R due to how much easier it is to drive at the edge. A short track the GT-R would probably win due to how fast its gearbox is versus a manual.

I'm sure long term reliability for track use will be much better in the Viper but the GT-R's performance is impressive for something that can just as easily transport your groceries, baby seat and not wake the neighbors up when you start it. And no, my racing knowledge is not from playing Forza; I drive an Elan DP02 in the IMSA Lites series. If you want an extra 100 HP in a GT-R, <$1000 and an hour or two is all you need.

Regarding overpriced; the ZR1 and GT-R both sell at MSRP easily.

I would much more take an aventador over a GT-R as well but gotta remember this:

GT-R: 100k black edition loaded

Aventador: 387k without mark up

4 times as expensive, I know a guy that has an Aventador ordered and a GT-R soon as a DD, anyone that says they would take the GT-R over the Aventador if money wasnt an issue at all is lying through their teeth. :thumbsup:

If money was truly no object I'd agree, but for people who at least like to feel like they're getting a good value, I'd take the GT-R, and did. I had the opportunity to get on the list for the Aventador, and have ridden in one, but got out feeling like it was just some showy upgrades to the interior and more incremental changes to the platform rather than a huge improvement. I was expecting to be blown away by the chassis improvements and new gear box, and while they're certainly making progress, the car didn't leave me feeling like it was time to dump my Murci and throw away $250k on top of it to upgrade. Obviously with a big V12 and the size of the car, there are limits to how good it will ever be, but I knew that going in, so I don't think I set too high an expectation, it just wasn't what I expected. Probably the same feeling James May got when he drove the Countach on the Top Gear Lambo episode; real life didn't measure up to what he had imagined it would be like as a kid.

If money was truly no object I'd agree, but for people who at least like to feel like they're getting a good value, I'd take the GT-R, and did. I had the opportunity to get on the list for the Aventador, and have ridden in one, but got out feeling like it was just some showy upgrades to the interior and more incremental changes to the platform rather than a huge improvement. I was expecting to be blown away by the chassis improvements and new gear box, and while they're certainly making progress, the car didn't leave me feeling like it was time to dump my Murci and throw away $250k on top of it to upgrade. Obviously with a big V12 and the size of the car, there are limits to how good it will ever be, but I knew that going in, so I don't think I set too high an expectation, it just wasn't what I expected. Probably the same feeling James May got when he drove the Countach on the Top Gear Lambo episode; real life didn't measure up to what he had imagined it would be like as a kid.

Oh no doubt the GT-R is the better value, same with a car such as a CTS-V those are amazing price/performance balanced value cars. I was literally talking like if we all had money trees and everyone could have what they wanted haha. I know the top gear episode your talking about, and he recently did one with the aventador and it was a similar outcome. I think everyone sets their expectation higher and higher each time Lamborghini comes out with a new model, sky high expectations that to a car they must build. Did you get a chance to drive the Aventador or just ride in it? I feel like this is a common occurrence now, with people i know that have riden in one not being super impressed with them. I think the same as you, the bar in your mind has been set too high and the car cant possible live up to your expectations. With cars like the Agera R out now there are just other options besides the Aventador going in strictly performance. I still love watching the videos about the build process of the Aventador though, love all that technical stuff.

Unfortunately didn't get to drive it. I've driven a friend's TT Gallardo though, that was a blast. I've tracked both of my Lambo's a few times just for fun in between race sessions, they're pretty unwieldy, the GT-R just hugs and goes, in almost serene quiet (in comparison).

Archived