Customer Service 866.965.0400

Some noob issues

8genAccord

Question

Ok guys so I gave my Porter Cable a try today, I got it in a week ago and was finally able to try it out today. First time using a DA so I ran into some issues off the bat. First of all after spending all this money on the DA, pads, etc. I couldn't afford Adam's Polishes and purchased Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish to use for a few weeks until I can order the Adam's 3 step polish kit. I don't want to do my car until I get the Adam's polishes.

Now on to the issues. My first problem was the pad getting caked up with compound. I don't know if I was using too much but the pad was new so I primed it with a big x on the pad and made my first several passes with that. after moving on to the next area I would add 3 pea sized drops. How often do you add more compound? I was also working outside and there was a little sun, but the temperature was only about 45 so I figured it would be ok to do it outside where I can see better. The second issue was the compound getting dusty. It looked like little salt grain pieces of dried up compound were coming out the pad and that was probably because of all the compound caked up in the pad.

Please help a noob out and tell me what I am doing wrong! How often do you add more compound to the pad. If I do about 6 passes per each section do I need to add a few drops of compound to the pad each time i move over to the next section?

11 answers to this question

Ok guys so I gave my Porter Cable a try today, I got it in a week ago and was finally able to try it out today. First time using a DA so I ran into some issues off the bat. First of all after spending all this money on the DA, pads, etc. I couldn't afford Adam's Polishes and purchased Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish to use for a few weeks until I can order the Adam's 3 step polish kit. I don't want to do my car until I get the Adam's polishes.

Now on to the issues. My first problem was the pad getting caked up with compound. I don't know if I was using too much but the pad was new so I primed it with a big x on the pad and made my first several passes with that. after moving on to the next area I would add 3 pea sized drops. How often do you add more compound? I was also working outside and there was a little sun, but the temperature was only about 45 so I figured it would be ok to do it outside where I can see better. The second issue was the compound getting dusty. It looked like little salt grain pieces of dried up compound were coming out the pad and that was probably because of all the compound caked up in the pad.

Please help a noob out and tell me what I am doing wrong! How often do you add more compound to the pad. If I do about 6 passes per each section do I need to add a few drops of compound to the pad each time i move over to the next section?

First off, Congrats on your pruchase. Now on to your questions.

1) The amount of product you used first starting off is ok, but remember to spritz the pad with DS. After you completed the first panel, you don't need to reapply product. Sprits the pad with some DS and it will dapen the pad and polish and your good to go for the next panel. I only apply polish after i completed 3 panels.

2) you should never polish in direct sunlight. Its always recommend to polish indoors.

3) Most likely your pad was all caked up from too much polish. Keep the pad moist, if you find your pad is dusting, get an old tooth brush, turn the PC to speed 2 or 3, rest the PC on your lap with the pad facing upwards, turn the machine on and with the tooth brush start from the center on the pad and work your way out. This works for me...try it out and let us know how it works out

The problem is that with another manufacturer's polishes being used, there is another variable in the mix. You could have too much polish on the pad, or, be using a higher cut polish, which tend to dust a lot more. I would definitely try the Detail Spray only for a few areas, and see if that is working for you. The detail spray only mode helps to clear the pad of excess polish.

A few notes:

1) As I'm sure you know different polishes work best with different pads. Adam has a great system where the pads and polishes are color matched.

2) Dusting is more common with certain polishes as well, so you need to experiment with adding lubricant, using less polish, or working in smaller areas for a shorter time.

3) The two polishes you mention are not DAT (diminishing abrasives) and require either a change in speed (higher opm/rpm) or longer work time...

To be honest I haven't tried to work those two polishes with a DA... (I have seen great results with a rotary..) So I can't speak from experience but I would guess less polish and more lubricant (DS) would help...

Of course I would recommend moving to Adam's polishes as soon as possible (given the pads/polisher you have).

I used to use the M brand of stuff w/ my PC. I found it pretty normal for the u.c. to dust quite a bit and I only worked indoors. This was one of the reasons I made the switch to Adam's. Another reason I switched was the difficulty of removing the product after working it. I had to use a lot of detail spray for a complete correction process.

Make the move to Adam's products and I'm confident you will be far happier.

The Ultimate Compound is great/proven stuff. I will be using it with my Ryobi and Adams Pads etc. It uses SMAT technology where the abbrasives do not break down. It allows for longer use. With DAT i believe you wait for it to break down etc, into a finer polishing material etc. Ultimate Compound will start to get grippy/sticky or just dry out when more is needed.

Like previously mentioned, wet the pad face with a spray bottle as to not waste product (Adams Videos). The Adams pad also hold quite a bit of product. Ultimate Compound was also designed for DA use. Good luck.....

Have you watched the Volume 7 DVD yet?

I'll remind everyone politely, as some already are participating, other product mention by name is against the rules.

Using too much product will work against you. There is some good advice in this thread as far as waking up the pad between passes, polish load, etc.

Mook

Archived