Customer Service 866.965.0400

protect from bird dropings

dwebber

Question

4 answers to this question

Not sure what you are asking.

First, a good coat of wax and or sealant, such as Americana, Buttery Wax, or Machine Super Sealant helps protect the paint. The bird droppings are often corrosive, so the less time it is sitting on the finish, the better and the less damage will be etched in.

To take it off, a single soft MF and Waterless wash. Don't wipe it off like you are cleaning a window. Get the Singlesoft and fold it into quarters, then fold the quarter in half so it's long like a hotdog bun. Spray the bird bomb with WW. Let it sit for a few seconds, then take the folded MF so that the wide dimension is across the direction of the wipe, gently wipe the bird bomb towards you while rolling the microfiber towards you so that as you are wiping the bird bomb you are lifting that crud up towards you in the microfiber. Sort of like a conveyor belt, lifting the crud up into the microfiber in the direction of the wipe.

Do this very gently, as often bird droppings have sand or grit in them, which can scratch up your paint. If you want to rewipe the area, repeat the process of spray and wipe, using a fresh part of the microfiber towel.

I think some times it all depends on what the bird ate. One time a bird left a mess on my dad's '84 Ford p/up and it took the paint off. The bird had been eating mulberries. The truck had wax on it but it didn't help and it's not like it sat on the truck for a long time either...it was fresh. But that was years ago and maybe todays waxes and polishes would help protect the paint a lot better.

As Doug mentioned, sealant and/or wax will buy you time, but bird droppings tend to be very acidic so the best protection is prevention.

Don't park under trees, and if you do get a bird bomb remove it as quickly as possible. The second it hits the car its working on whatever protection you have on there. Eventually it will be thru the sealant/wax and onto the clear and thats when etching begins.

I keep a full 16oz of Waterless and towels in my truck for this exact reason. As soon as its spotted, I grab my supplies and go to work:

Turn the nozzle to STREAM and use that to knock the 'chunks' loose before anything else. They will contain all kinds of grit. Seeds, crispy bug parts, and even small pebbles that birds eat to help with digestion.

Once the larger particles are gone, switch to SPRAY and saturate (I mean really soak) the area with Waterless to soften it up. Using a fresh waterless towel wipe gently in one direction. Fold the towel over and repeat.

DO NOT SCRUB WITH THE TOWEL! People tend to panic and go at it with the towel, resist this urge as you'll just scratch the hell out of your paint. Soak and wipe, soak and wipe, soak and wipe as much as needed to get all of it off of the paint.

As soon as its feasibly possible apply a fresh coat of your preferred sealant/wax combo to restore the protection to that area. To be safe I usually wipe the entire panel down with waterless and apply the sealant/wax to that entire area again.

Archived