Customer Service 866.965.0400

Is my Americana pretty much ruined (pic inside)?

90zxdriver

Question

So today I spend 4 hrs on just the driver side of my SS Silverado using the Flex, SSR, SHR, FMP and the corresponding pads. It came out GREAT! I was going to top it off with some Americana and found this! I haven't used this in 8 months or so and I think it fell off the shelf in my garage during that time. So I have a ruined tub of Americana? Is there any way I can heat it up and melt it back down to how it was when I first got it?

photohrl.jpg

Here is a after shot of the truck, the one side I got done anyway.

photo1ji.jpg

photohrl.jpg

:2thumbs: Nice work.

If you ever need some new applicators (or anything else) just let me know!

Hey, a (somewhat) local dealer! Awesome! I have not been able to find anybody in the Tampa Bay area that has heard of Adams Polishes, never-mind somebody who carries them. I'm pretty good on products right now thanks to Christmas. One think I could use though is some guidance on how to use the Flex to the best of its abilities. I have watched the videos but I still could use a little help with it. I don't want to just drop my truck off somewhere and have it done, I want to learn how to use everything from somebody who already knows.

I have been waiting for a Detail Clinic to attend but the closest one (which isn't even close) isn't for another 11 or so months.

what causes this? my Americana has done the same. It stays in the house so its not getting the temperature fluctuations that i would assume would have caused this type of thing to happen.

My container is only 8 months old

Mine got that way because it fell off the shelf in the garage... not sure what else would cause that to happen... but I know how to fix it now :thumbsup:

what causes this? my Americana has done the same. It stays in the house so its not getting the temperature fluctuations that i would assume would have caused this type of thing to happen.

My container is only 8 months old

this guy:

sully_monsters_inc-5028.jpg

Make sure you heat the water and your Americana tub at the same time with the lid off. Don't put the tub in after you have heated the water. Heat it slowly. You shouldn't even have to reach the boiling point with your water. And use enough water to cover as much surface area of your tub without the water running into the tub and your wax tub floating. The Americana tub sitting on the bottom of the pan is going to get no warmer than the water around it. Use only the heat necessary to achieve the melting of your Americana. The slower the better.

Preaching the 'least aggressive' method even in the kitchen! :lol:

I like the boiling idea better than the candle warmer thing. Gonna do this myself! Thanks man! Great thread.

Make sure you heat the water and your Americana tub at the same time with the lid off. Don't put the tub in after you have heated the water. Heat it slowly. You shouldn't even have to reach the boiling point with your water. And use enough water to cover as much surface area of your tub without the water running into the tub and your wax tub floating. The Americana tub sitting on the bottom of the pan is going to get no warmer than the water around it. Use only the heat necessary to achieve the melting of your Americana. The slower the better.

Come on over to the Camaro show in Kissimmee at the beginning of March. We'll have a tent and will be doing demos all day with the Flex and the PC....and the entire line.

1st Annual Sunshine State Camaro Rally... - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Awesome. Hopefully it will be on one of my days off. I have to check my schedule.

Problem solved, I used the above mentioned method. I put a little bit of water in a pan, just enough to float the tub of Americana on so the bottom of the tub wouldn't melt. I then used low heat to gradually heat up the wax until it liquified. Here is a pic during;

photo2mup.jpg

I then let it cool. Looks just like when Adams shipped it to me, plus my whole apartment smelt like Americana. :thumbsup: Here it is all finished;

photo3qg.jpg

Worked awesome! Thanks for the help!

Glad that you got it to work John. Looks good. :2thumbs:

The bottom of your tub isn't going to melt sitting on the bottom of the pan as long as you have water in there. It is going to get no warmer than the water around the container. I have done it numerous times with honey. :cheers:

Hey, a (somewhat) local dealer! Awesome! I have not been able to find anybody in the Tampa Bay area that has heard of Adams Polishes, never-mind somebody who carries them. I'm pretty good on products right now thanks to Christmas. One think I could use though is some guidance on how to use the Flex to the best of its abilities. I have watched the videos but I still could use a little help with it. I don't want to just drop my truck off somewhere and have it done, I want to learn how to use everything from somebody who already knows.

I have been waiting for a Detail Clinic to attend but the closest one (which isn't even close) isn't for another 11 or so months.

Come on over to the Camaro show in Kissimmee at the beginning of March. We'll have a tent and will be doing demos all day with the Flex and the PC....and the entire line.

1st Annual Sunshine State Camaro Rally... - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

that looks like it was faster, and cleaner than the way i did it! i used a scentsy to melt it down and poured it back in the tub.

is the wax mushy, or hard? i found mine to be a little soft, so i kept it in the refrigerator for a few days to harden more.

Problem solved, I used the above mentioned method. I put a little bit of water in a pan, just enough to float the tub of Americana on so the bottom of the tub wouldn't melt. I then used low heat to gradually heat up the wax until it liquified. Here is a pic during;

photo2mup.jpg

I then let it cool. Looks just like when Adams shipped it to me, plus my whole apartment smelt like Americana. :thumbsup: Here it is all finished;

photo3qg.jpg

Worked awesome! Thanks for the help!

Its usable in the state you have it now... just pick up a piece and rub it on your applictor, rather than rubbing the applicator in the tub.

The other option (like mentioned) is melting. Do not microwave it.

In a previous thread someone used a Scentsy candle warmer, which basically uses a lightbulb to heat scented wax air fresheners. This seems to be just about the best solution as its a slow melt, low heat, and will be a relatively clean job if you do it right.

One thing that might work. I do this with my honey (bee stuff not the wife). I take a pan with a small amount of water in it. Put the americana with the tub in the water. Not a lot of water of course. Just enough to where the tub won't float and won't over run the tub. Use as much water as you can without as I mentioned above the tub floating or the water flowing into the tub. The heated water on all sides will melt your wax quicker. Heat it up carefully, but keep your eye on it otherwise you can heat it too much and deform the tub. Like I said before I do it with honey when it goes funny in the bottle and it works great. No lid either while doing it. If you heat it with a lid your going to create pressure in the tub and cause a potential disaster. No lid will allow for expansion without it being trapped.

The tub will deform long after the wax has melted. Just have to watch it. I have deformed my honey bottle before, but that is because I walked away from it and forgot about it.

I know it doesn't look like it but that applicator and Americana has only been used on two vehicles. It looks so rough because I was still learning how to take care of applicators/pads at that point in my Adams obsession. This is also why my pads are due to be replaced after only 2-3 uses. Live and learn though. From what I have read on here it isn't very uncommon for a new detail guy to ruin their first set of pads so I don't feel so bad.

But to answer your question, yes, I already ordered new ones.

Archived