Customer Service 866.965.0400

How to clean plastic dash gauge lenses?

rick s

Question

It seems like if I even breathe on the plastic lens covers on my dash gauges, they scratch.

I have a new car that I haven't touched those lenses yet, and they have that new car fog on them.

Is there a 100%, sure fire way to clean them without putting a single scratch in them?

Thanks,

24 answers to this question

I'd start with Revive. If you have some light scratches, you can use Fine Machine Polish and then Revive if necessary.

- Darryl

Thanks, good to know. Didn't know that a polish would work well on plastic lenses.

If they're just dusty, not scratched yet, go with waterless wash.

Lightly mist it onto a plush towel and lightly wipe at the surface in one movement. The moisture of the waterless will help the dust 'stick' to the towel. Flip to a fresh side and wipe again to get any residual moisture and that haze off.

If you do see scratches revive or fmp will be able to remove them.

Thanks, good to know. Didn't know that a polish would work well on plastic lenses.

What you are looking through in this pic. of my Harley is the "original" windshield that came on it in 2004. It was all scratched up. Used Revive polish on it (both sides) and it's almost like there isn't a windshield on it.

Another view looking towards the back - "through" the windshield.

Edited by Corners
Added photo

Lightly mist it onto a plush towel and lightly wipe at the surface in one movement. The moisture of the waterless will help the dust 'stick' to the towel. Flip to a fresh side and wipe again to get any residual moisture and that haze off.

Dylan, do recommend putting anything on them to protect them? DS or a coat of APW? I have gauges in the Firebird that I want to clear up AND protect! Thanks!!

Dylan, do recommend putting anything on them to protect them? DS or a coat of APW? I have gauges in the Firebird that I want to clear up AND protect! Thanks!!

Brian: I "use" to have a 1969 Firebird. Stock 350 with a five speed in it. Speed-0 said 160 mph and it would indeed do that.

Then one night I raced a Shelby GT 500. I blew a piston through the left side of the block and one straight down through the oil pan. Under warranty but they put a "short block" in it.

Ended up trading it in for a 1965 Datsun Station Wagon. :help:

Edited by Corners
Typo error

I have fine scratches in the clear plastic lense over the radio. Should I try FMP or Revive first?

Edited by Maxspeed

Thanks mc2. What polish would you suggest? S n H or FMP?

If the headlights are really bad SHR or SSR. You may even need to use them on the drill, Try SHR on the orange pad with the PC first (max setting 4) first. If that does not work try SHR/orange pad in a drill, then last and most aggressive is SSR on the green pad on the drill. Now you have to step yourself back down, and finish with FMP on the white pad on the PC.

Check out Junkman's video for more information - http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/machine-polishing/3141.htm.