Customer Service 866.965.0400

How to remove tar from wheels

T-Type

Question

Let me preface my question by saying that I did search the forum first, but I wasn't able to find a good answer. Seems the search engine won't search for 'tar'.

I have a 2009 G8 GXP with factory clear coated wheels. Today I decided to clean up/ detail them while they are still off the car for the winter. The problem I am finding is that I am having a hard time getting tar off the wheels. I tried using a clay bar, but I get mixed results and the bar gets dirty super fast. I tried using goof off with mixed results too. I'm just looking for suggestions on the best way to get the tar off.

BTW for some reason the passenger side front wheel always gets waaaaaay more dirt and tar than any of the other wheels.

15 answers to this question

What I have used on oil based tar sitting on top of the clear is a gentle solvent such as isopropyl alcohol or kerosene. Sometimes WD-40 can also do a good job of loosening up substances like that. I lightly spray it, give it a couple minutes (being sure it stays moist) and then gently agitating it with a boars hair brush (like the lug nut brush). It might take a few passes for me to remove it using this process.

In the ole' days of me not knowing any better I would take a rag and rub at the tar with kerosene to remove it... that awful rubbing/scrubbing process worked but that would create a haze from all the swirls I created. :help: Since then I modified my technique to just gently agitate to remove the loosened material in layers and I no longer get swirls!! :thumbsup:

Well the 3M product was no miracle cure. Didn't seem to work very well at all. I'd say goo gone worked better. Plus with the hazardous fumes, I think I'm done with that product. I think my next plan is as you suggest Dave. Spray it with WD-40 and let it soak for a bit before I try to get the stuff off.

As far as swirls go, they're pretty swirled up already. That's one of the things I wanted to fix. Just gotta get the damn tar/adhesive off first.

Well the 3M product was no miracle cure. Didn't seem to work very well at all. I'd say goo gone worked better. Plus with the hazardous fumes, I think I'm done with that product. I think my next plan is as you suggest Dave. Spray it with WD-40 and let it soak for a bit before I try to get the stuff off.

As far as swirls go, they're pretty swirled up already. That's one of the things I wanted to fix. Just gotta get the damn tar/adhesive off first.

Did you let the 3M soak? If not you should have.

From the pic it appears that those spots may be pitted areas in the clear that are filled with brake dust. Feeling them, do they feel like they are pitted areas in the clear coat?

I agree with Dave here. There may be some degree of clear coat failure, poor clear coat or your brake pads are highly dusting. Many times, the inner clear on the barrels of wheels is not as smooth as the face of the wheel, therefore not providing the same "slickness" if you will for break dust removal.

I'm convinced that you are not dealing with just tar here. You stated that the passenger side barrels get dirtier faster than the driver’s side. This is probably from the pads more so than tar. I've had some tar on the barrels of my wheels before, but continuous build-up I've really never seen.

If indeed it's just tar, and you let the 3M adhesive remover soak like Chris and Matt suggested, I've never seen it not work and I use it all the time. The great thing about the 3M and Stoners tar removers is they are 100% safe on any painted surface. The smell is indeed strong, but it if you cleaning outside it shouldn't be a problem and dissipates easily.

Think about this...you've tried a Wheel cleaner, 3M adhesive remover, a clay bar and now the WD-40. If it was just tar build-up, it wouldn't be that hard to remove if the clear coat was doing its job. Once you get it cleaned up to your liking, seal those barrels up with some MSS. Monitor each wheel daily when you get home and see how the build-up is going.

My guess from the pics is you have some highly dusting brake pads combined with the barrels of your wheels not having the best clear coat. This looks more like Iron deposits to me.

Good luck bro!

I agree with Dave here. There may be some degree of clear coat failure, poor clear coat or your brake pads are highly dusting. Many times, the inner clear on the barrels of wheels is not as smooth as the face of the wheel, therefore not providing the same "slickness" if you will for break dust removal.

I'm convinced that you are not dealing with just tar here. You stated that the passenger side barrels get dirtier faster than the driver’s side. This is probably from the pads more so than tar. I've had some tar on the barrels of my wheels before, but continuous build-up I've really never seen.

If indeed it's just tar, and you let the 3M adhesive remover soak like Chris and Matt suggested, I've never seen it not work and I use it all the time. The great thing about the 3M and Stoners tar removers is they are 100% safe on any painted surface. The smell is indeed strong, but it if you cleaning outside it shouldn't be a problem and dissipates easily.

Think about this...you've tried a Wheel cleaner, 3M adhesive remover, a clay bar and now the WD-40. If it was just tar build-up, it wouldn't be that hard to remove if the clear coat was doing its job. Once you get it cleaned up to your liking, seal those barrels up with some MSS. Monitor each wheel daily when you get home and see how the build-up is going.

My guess from the pics is you have some highly dusting brake pads combined with the barrels of your wheels not having the best clear coat. This looks more like Iron deposits to me.

Good luck bro!

Well I still haven't found a good solution to this problem. I kind of stopped working on it for a while but with better weather on the way I got to get this done. I may just give the 3M stuff another try, but it seemed to me that it evaporated pretty quickly.

I will say that my pads definitely do dust like crazy. It's weird in that the though the driver side will get just as dirty, it will clean up no problem. The passenger side is always a major battle.

Out of desperation I was thinking of trying Adams all purpose cleaner with an old tooth brush.

One final update I found something that works. It's not a magic bullet, but it does significantly affect the deposits per application. It's a product called Iron X. Seems 07RS4 was on the right track. Looks like the stuff was brake dust buildup and not tar.