Customer Service 866.965.0400

Spray sealant under the hood?

txredgt

Question

Has anyone tried this? I know in and out works great but the sealant would add longevity and protection, my only concerns are getting it in areas where it shouldn't be and evenly coating it as well. What's some thoughts on it? I think it would make detailing the engine bay easier if it can withstand some of the heat under there.

8 answers to this question

That's what I thought as I posted but it's worth asking. Are wheel/brake temps that far off from engine temps though? I'm thinking more of inner fenders with the sealant instead of directly on the motor.

That's what I thought as I posted but it's worth asking. Are wheel/brake temps that far off from engine temps though? I'm thinking more of inner fenders with the sealant instead of directly on the motor.

I would think the wheels are always a bit cooler, as they get more cold air to them as they are moving. Under the hood, you can't say the same.

:cheers:

I've applied the Quick Sealant on all the painted surfaces under the hoods of three of my vehicles. Under the hood itself (around the outside of the hood liner), the fenders, the junction of the outer and inner fenders and the frame rails as best as I could get to on the daily drivers.

The plastics are all treated with either SVRT or In-&-Out Spray.

I would think the wheels are always a bit cooler, as they get more cold air to them as they are moving. Under the hood, you can't say the same.

:cheers:

The main reason I use the spray sealant on my OZ racing wheels, is to protect them from the aggressive dust my race brake pads produce when I track my car. Under those circumstances, I guarantee that the wheels get a lot hotter than some engine components. My brake fluid is rated at 683F and I know I have exceeded that... Of course the rims won't get as hot as the actual brake components, but still they get extremely hot.

After track day, i take my race wheels off, and simply clean them using green wheel cleaner, hot water then detail spray and then a fresh layer of sealant. They look awesome and are free of brake dust. I'm not saying that the sealant will be effective over longer periods of time at high temps, but it seems to work great for me for at least a day :)

I'm curious as well (obviously since I posted it up for discussion). I know mook said he doesn't think it can withstand the heat but what's other thoughts? If they work on wheels it should hold up on other areas correct?

Archived