Customer Service 866.965.0400

Vinyl Stripes Removal???

dipolley

Question

Hey everyone, I need a little help. I have a potential client that has a Ford F-150 Harley Davidson Edition. It has these aweful non-OEM vinyl stripes running along the bone line of the entire length of the truck. He wants them off.

Here is what I am figureing I need to do. Use a heat gun to help loosen the adhesion and APC to help brake it up. Then I am thinking I am going to have to remove it by hand. Once everything is removed it will have to be polished and sealed no matter what.

Do any of you have any hints and tips on how to remove decals and vinyl from a vehicle without doing damage? I will be researching this extensively over the next couple of days, but I trust you guys most.

Thanks in advance.

10 answers to this question

Thanks Chris. I really am asking to confirm that I am going about this correctly. Here is what i am thinking

-strip wash

-Heat the decal with a hair dryer or heat gun on a low setting.

-Using a finger nail, pull up a corner and gently pull away.

-Slowly pull off the decal while heating the decal

-Use APC to remove any remaining adhessive (thanks for the tip onthe 3M)

-Standard paint correction proceedure, seal, wax, etc.

What year is it? If it's been on a while, it might not come off by the fingernail and pull method. You might have to get something like the 3M Eraser wheel

here's a few other threads about it...

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/general-detailing-discussion-questions/16370.htm

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/general-detailing-discussion-questions/16570.htm

Hey bro, the last three weeks at my new detail gig, I have been Detailing and removing vinyl from Audis, BMW's, Trunks, Vans, you name it and all of them are vinyl striped the same way! Vinyl striping wheels get expensive, so save your self the cash and use:

A) Halogen 500w x2 lamps about 6-8 inch's from the vehicle until the vinyl can be removed by hand,

Or

B) Use a heat gun on the med. setting, moving side to side about 4-6 inch's away until the vinyl can be removed by hand

Then use my Fav. 3m adhesive remover( got the shop hooked on it) or a mild solvent made for removing adhesive which we now use because its cheaper then buying the 3m can's.

Spray the whole sec. or side of truck to save time and let the adhesive sit for a min.( Let the product do it’s job so that you don’t have to scrub hard)!!, then wipe off with an Adams clothe. Everything else will scratch the paint as you know already!

Then proceed with Clean up of your choice and seal, wax ect.

I've done this everyday for three weeks now successfully! Cheers:cheers:

Yep I used the Ole Hair Dryer to heat them up. It was only in the 60's when I did this, so I could not sit it outside and let the sun heat it up. I used a rubber scrapper to help scrape them off. I could not find any 3m Adhesive remover here that day, but walmart had some Turtle wax spray adhesive remover that worked really great. spray it on let it set about 1-2 min then wipe it off with a little scrubbing. I also use some APC to help clean it off.

Once I was done with it all. I did have a few places when I scraped alittle to hard. But SSR and green pad took it off. I did a complete strip wash with APC and Shampoo, relcayed alittle. then put the PC to work.

Worked great in my case. :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for the input.

Frank thanks a lot my friend for the tips. I have the halo lights already and know how hot they get, so that makes perfect sense. Glad to see the new gig is going well for you. Are you going to the A and J Tire clinic on Saturday?

Thanks everyone for the input.

Frank thanks a lot my friend for the tips. I have the halo lights already and know how hot they get, so that makes perfect sense. Glad to see the new gig is going well for you. Are you going to the A and J Tire clinic on Saturday?

No problemo,:thumbsup:

Yep I'll be there!

Archived