Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detailing as a Side Job?

DTrem13

Question

I'm sure most of us do this already. So I'm just on the hunt for some opinions and advice. With me spending so much on keeping my car clean, I figured I'd use my skills on other vehicles and make a little bit of side cash. I'm doing my Grandma's HHR next week (when my new Americana pad & Brilliant Glaze/red PC pad arrive) and possibly a couple others soon.

So far I'm just thinking about doing a basic car wash and wax (with all the extras, tires, trim, fenders, etc.) and maybe clay and interior. I don't think I wanna get into paint correction yet until I can really perfect my technique.

For those of you who do this, how much do you charge for a car wash? I'm charging my Grandma $25 (I'll probably go higher for other people, but ya gotta take care of your grandparents :grouphug:) for a basic wash and dry plus tire dressing, fenders, Brilliant Glaze & Americana and an extra 10 to take car of the interior. Since it's just a small HHR, I'm anticipating it to take between 1.5 and 2 hours (unless I do the interior, then maybe a little more time.) How much would you guys charge a regular customer for that?

Any input will be helpful, whether it's related to my scenario or not. Thanks everyone! :cheers:

My input? Charging your grandparents is a no no.

See if you can, when you charge people, remembering you aren't insured, make it worth your time. Make sure you cover product cost, and if you are doing a "Wash n Wax" package that entails doing the brushwork, may as well add the engine in there too. Interiors are a monster you may want to treat as an add on. You aren't their housekeeper.

I would suggest $75 for a price. Keep in mind, you are doing this in YOUR spare time, the juice isn't cheap, and you will have the car for at least two hours.

If you want to add on APW or BG as an upgrade, charge IMO half the cost of the bottle for the application. IE $12-15 to add BG, and $35-40 for PREMIUM Paste Wax. Use Buttery Wax or Quick Sealant as your LSP for bang for the buck purposes.

Mook

Thank you Mook! I have a few questions:

At that price, does your service sell? I don't know of a lot of personal detailers around where I live (maybe it's because I never really looked), so I really don't have much to judge a price off of. So I'm not sure if that price would be a shocker to most people.

Also, can you define LSP for me? :o I've heard the term before. Just never knew what it meant :lol:

Thank you Mook! I have a few questions:

At that price, does your service sell? I don't know of a lot of personal detailers around where I live (maybe it's because I never really looked), so I really don't have much to judge a price off of. So I'm not sure if that price would be a shocker to most people.

Also, can you define LSP for me? :o I've heard the term before. Just never knew what it meant :lol:

Anymore, when I do a detail, they are coming to me for a full paint correction, or something just under it. I know my work speaks for itself, and the price can dictate it so. Cold call a few detailing services in your area. Figure out what they are doing for the price, and compare.

LSP

Last

Step

Product:thumbsup:

I'm telling you from experience as a side gig, stick to family and close friends. Once you break out of the zone you need to be insured. Anything can go wrong, and if it does your the one who will pay.

As far as pricing, you need to research local detailers and their cost vs service menus. That should give you a good starting point. Hope that helps

I think Mook and Scott pretty much covered it. Cover your cost and make it worth your time. Do the work for friends and family for some extra spending cash. Take that time to learn and perfect your skills. Then get insurance and sell yourself to others. If you do not personally know them, do NOT touch thier car without insurance. Friends and famaily are more forgiving when you screw up, strangers are more litigous. As yourself this "If I screw up, can I afford to fix it out of my own pocket?" If the answer is no, you need insurance.

And now you're taking a hobby you enjoy and turning it into work.

I've thought about detailing for friends and family as well it but i enjoy the therapeutic benefits so I think I might not enjoy it as much if I HAD to do it.

I wouldn't do this 'job' to the point where I would no longer enjoy it. I'd simply go as far as to make a little side cash, gain experience doing this and perfecting my techniques, and enjoy doing it.

I get tired polishing my car for 5 hours. I couldn't imagine having to do that for multiple days in a row! :willy:

How often do people screw up when doing this? Just curious as I'm sure it's happened before. Any personal stories?

Edited by DTrem13

KNOCK on WOOD, I haven't done anything dumb yet.

Ask StormChaser, Justin from Swan Creek Auto Care, or Chris in the Warehouse what it felt like to knock over 2-3 cars a day, in the 100* heat and humidity. It was certainly a once in a lifetime experience, and as much as I love doing this, I could not "detail for dollars" like that. I could though, do 1 car a day or 2 sometimes, in a day.

Not debating that. I could spend hours, and have, on my own ride and not think anything of it. Most people do not appreciate the detailed work, nor would want to pay for it. Example: I spent 9 hours on my wife's car- it was perfect- the only thing she noticed was that her Highlander smelled good.

Not debating that. I could spend hours, and have, on my own ride and not think anything of it. Most people do not appreciate the detailed work, nor would want to pay for it. Example: I spent 9 hours on my wife's car- it was perfect- the only thing she noticed was that her Highlander smelled good.

That's where before and after pictures come in handy! I love showing these to clients :D

Every weekend I detail 2 Camrys, 1 Highlander and 1 GT. Plus I have an open door policy to anyone that the garage door opens at 05:00 and if you need help stop by. Those who stop by learn and appreciate how to and what goes into a detail. I've converted 10 plus from off the shelf products to Adams. Give a man fish and he's dependent on you. Teach a man how to fish and he appreciates you.

PS: this is a hobby; once you start taking $ it becomes a job.

I agree with you on this one. Although I do this as a side job myself I do it as my own form of therapy and my hobby. I've been passionate about cleaning cars since I was a kid growing up in SoCal. My parents used to watch me clean my hot wheels with windex and socks. As I grew up I got to help clean my fathers 62 Corvette and 57 Thunderbird with him and that is where I began the love and pride for detailing. I wanted to do it all the time.

It gives me great pleasure to turnaround a vehicles condition inside and out, but also to see the satisfaction on a customers face.

Making cash is great, but it's not why I do. If I could do it for free I would. But I need to cover the cost of the products so that's what I make sure I get covered for. I've never received the amount I gave the estimate for. I usually get more because they are so happy with the results, which goes back to why I do this. From there they recommend me to their family and friends and the therapy/hobby continues!

If I could I would do it full time, but it's not a reliable source of income here in CT. I am very fortunate to have my full time position and could never think about leaving that anytime soon.

So do what you feel you can do with your side business but also be smart about spending on products that can leave you in the hole. Although with those Daily Specials it can be tough. But like others have said, it may be in your best interest to start off slow and do jobs for people you know personally.

Good luck with everything that comes your way and never become stressed about it since it IS only a side job! :2thumbs:

Give a man fish and he's dependent on you. Teach a man how to fish and he appreciates you.

This quote is awesome. It's so true. I love it.

JBlack: That's all I plan on doing right now, is just a couple cars here and there. Then people may know my work by seeing it on cars I've done and through word of mouth. I plan on starting with my Grandma's car, and hopefully she will tell some people, and it will just continue to branch away.

I don't plan on doing this to where I stop enjoying it because that's why I plan on doing this: because I enjoy it. It's a good feeling to see a car with some cosmetic damage and have the ability to make her shine and pop like she never has before.

:iagree: I do this as a side job most weekends, not all, but most. And most of the time once we get into talking about what that person truly wants..we end up doing a full correction. I've been told I'm cheap and don't cost much..but hey this IS fun for me after all (don't tell anyone that cause I'd probably do it for free anyways!). As far as prices are concerned here's my thing immediate and close family is free, don't care what it is, its free regardless. I'm also not in the car washing business..IMO that's not detailing thats MAINTENANCE, and I'm not your maid, wash your own damn car lol!! Friends extended family depends on condition, what they want etc. For a regular customer its BASE $200 for a car and BASE $300 for an SUV or Truck. That includes wash, clay, polish, and wax or sealant.

Interior is $30-40 more and I usually throw in the engine at no cost, obviously tire and trim is included as well....as I said I've been told I'm cheap..I know I'm cheap..this is what I do for fun and while I have a full correction or close to it almost every weekend I still consider myself "starting out" business wise that is. Keep that in mind as well, you can't charge top dollar for something you have no "cred" on. And personally I am JUST GETTING STARTED, READY TO SET IT ON FIRE!!! But there's still SO MUCH to learn.

Let your work speak for itself, I'll tell you there's no greater feeling than seeing that look of astonishment on the owners face, that's by far the best part!

I do it as a full time job and love it. There is no standard price in detailing for anything really. When I search in my area for a complete detail that includes paint correction goes from $200-650. I charge $300-400 for a complete detail takes 2 days. But I have OCD so everything I do has to be perfect no matter what. I 'm doing a wash, wax,engine and interior for cleaning saturday for $120.

Vince, where do you do your detailing if it's a two day correction?

In fact, everybody that details as a job or side job, where do you do your corrections?

I rent a garage so if I know its going to be a 2 day ordeal or the owner is just going to pick it up that next morning their car will stay there till they come to pick it up and my IS will just have to endure a night outside the garage :willy: