Customer Service 866.965.0400

Buffing lower doors/Rocker Panels

Corners

Question

What are some of the different methods being used to buff out the lower doors and rocker panels? I know on cars, it a real pain. Even on a pick-up, I usually end up laying on the carpet in my shop to get those two areas.

It doesn't take long before your brain tells your arms that enough is enough.

Tried using the hand method but you can really tell the difference where the buffing stops and the hand rubbing begins.

Maybe creeper to sit on?

There several rolling seats that sit very close to the ground or that allow you kneel on them to get to the lower areas, but none are inexpensive.

I literally just lay on the ground. I'm lucky enough where my Jeep has enough clearance I that I can slide under and get a good angle. It was tougher with the old Mazda 3 so I found myself laying vertical to the car. I honestly just used a Yoga mat I bought at *Five Below* for ...... $3.50. Otherwise, I sit on the Adam's bucket and go at it.

Maybe creeper to sit on?

There several rolling seats that sit very close to the ground or that allow you kneel on them to get to the lower areas, but none are inexpensive.

Tks. I have two of the creeper's. My problem is having had both knees operated on and now needing both replaced. One thing I haven't tried though is to simply sit on one, keeping both legs straight. DUH! :o

I literally just lay on the ground. I'm lucky enough where my Jeep has enough clearance I that I can slide under and get a good angle. It was tougher with the old Mazda 3 so I found myself laying vertical to the car. I honestly just used a Yoga mat I bought at *Five Below* for ...... $3.50. Otherwise, I sit on the Adam's bucket and go at it.

Laying on the carpet I have in my shop is pretty much the way I have been doing these areas. However it does really get to my arms.

I tried the bucket sitting but have a fused back and can only lean over for brief periods. I suppose I could jack the pick-up, up and see how that works. With the wife's Mercedes - forget it. I'm lucky to just get the area right below the doors. :lolsmack:

I normally don't buff that area out. I do apply wax and sealant though.

No one is going to look at your rocker panels to see if you have swirls on then.

Yea, you're right. But I guess it's just a personal pride thing. If all of the vehicle doesn't shine then I feel I just did a half way job.

However I do believe I'm going to quit buffing the rocker panels and try your method. But then that still leaves the lower portions of the doors. You can see any marks if they are on those areas.

I absolutely hat mud flaps but where I live, it's almost mandatory to have them on or the rocker panels really get rocked chipped. The flaps I had put on the wife's Mercedes - sitting down - their plastic and had to order them with just a primer on them. Dealer sent them to a paint shop go be color matched and clear coated. When I went to get them put on I was told the bill was $785.00. Can't say on here what I told the guy but after a long time of nose to nose, he cut the bill down to $550.00. Still got ripped off. And then, they don't do a thing to keep water/mud spray coming half the way up all the doors.

I still buff the lower part of my doors. I just don't pay much attention to the lower areas compared to the upper panels

I know, I should be doing the same but as I said in another post, if it doesn't shine all over then it's not shined. :D

Where I can - let me re-word that - where my wife can notice the smallest of anything when it comes to her Mercedes, is any area that isn't perfect. Thinking about buying her a pair of white gloves for her next "inspection." Believe it or not, she is seriously thinking about buying a 2013 in a really nice tan color. Tired of hearing me complaining about the black one she has. :lol:

My rule of thumb is: If its part of the body and painted..its getting polished. PERIOD! That includes my car, customers cars, family, whatever..its getting the full treatment..Now with that said do most people pay attention to your rockers?? No....But I do.

Perfect isn't perfect unless its perfect. Simple as that.

I've seen WAY WAY WAY too many "show cars" and 100-300k and 500+k cars that the little extra step was not taken..not exactly talking about polishing rockers, as I've seen 100+k retro-mods bodies TRASHED by shotty body work..but guys we are into DETAILING right??? That means the details of said car or truck? Am I not right?!

Now don't get me wrong, if I don't pay your car note then I have no say so with what you do with it. But for ME I'm doing the WHOLE car!

As far as position or technique...I'll sit on my rolling chair and hit the lower door panels and bumpers and depending on the car I'll put my behind on the ground and polish the rockers or anywhere else that may not be easily reached while I'm on my seat. YES my arms tell me NO, but my mind says "Screw you, you're doing it!! You can rest when you're finished!" I have a bit of a different outlook on a variety of things however, one little "motto" of mine is 'You can rest when you're dead' so I try to live by that..

I cannot begin to know what those with bad knees or backs go through when doing a detail so to those people, find out what works for YOU, think about something motivating whatever you have to do..think about that cold beer you'll have afterwards or what your ancestors had to endure during the depression (one of my favs since I'm only 2nd generation since coming over to the US) or about what our military service men and women go through and how if they can do what they do, then you can sit your *** on the ground for another 30 mins ;) and trust me once you figure that out you will feel so much better about the detailing job you just did :)

My rule of thumb is: If its part of the body and painted..its getting polished. PERIOD! That includes my car, customers cars, family, whatever..its getting the full treatment..Now with that said do most people pay attention to your rockers?? No....But I do.

Perfect isn't perfect unless its perfect. Simple as that.

I've seen WAY WAY WAY too many "show cars" and 100-300k and 500+k cars that the little extra step was not taken..not exactly talking about polishing rockers, as I've seen 100+k retro-mods bodies TRASHED by shotty body work..but guys we are into DETAILING right??? That means the details of said car or truck? Am I not right?!

Now don't get me wrong, if I don't pay your car note then I have no say so with what you do with it. But for ME I'm doing the WHOLE car!

As far as position or technique...I'll sit on my rolling chair and hit the lower door panels and bumpers and depending on the car I'll put my behind on the ground and polish the rockers or anywhere else that may not be easily reached while I'm on my seat. YES my arms tell me NO, but my mind says "Screw you, you're doing it!! You can rest when you're finished!" I have a bit of a different outlook on a variety of things however, one little "motto" of mine is 'You can rest when you're dead' so I try to live by that..

I cannot begin to know what those with bad knees or backs go through when doing a detail so to those people, find out what works for YOU, think about something motivating whatever you have to do..think about that cold beer you'll have afterwards or what your ancestors had to endure during the depression (one of my favs since I'm only 2nd generation since coming over to the US) or about what our military service men and women go through and how if they can do what they do, then you can sit your *** on the ground for another 30 mins ;) and trust me once you figure that out you will feel so much better about the detailing job you just did :)

a

Edited by Corners

Have to :lol:, while riding my Harley. I re-did the seat with some super foam and gel so I'm fairly okay with that. However, there has been times after riding out in the Country for awhile, I usually stop quite often to stretch my legs. A few times while back in the City traffic and come up to a red light, I always put my left foot down first. It cracks me up when I put the foot down but don't realize I have little feeling in it so me and the bike just lay on the pavement. Can't blame those behind me when the light turns green and I'm still laying with the leg under the bike and these people are blarring away with their horns, yelling for me to get up and move the &&&& out of the way. :help::lol:. It takes about a minute or so to get enough feeling back so I can slide my leg out and stand up.

People are so weird and in their own little World that not once has anybody ever got out of their car and helped me get the bike up or see if I'm okay. In the process of this outstanding situation, my riding buddy has got use to directing traffic "around" me. :)

That is SICKENING to me!!! As a fellow rider I stop every chance I get to help out another rider, if they're broke down or just dropped the bike I try to always stop and help..ya know I just continue to be shocked at some peoples appalling behavior on the road and in life in general..I stopped once on a highway to help this lady prolly in her 40's change her tire cause she didn't know how, I asked her how long she'd been stopped she told me about 30 mins!!! :mad: This was on a busy section of road, so for a half hour NO ONE even stopped to help her out! I just don't get what goes through some peoples heads when they see someone that needs help or could use a bit of assistance and they just pass on by...

Buy a lift?

Mike: I took your advice and bought the lift. What a huge difference just a matter of inches make when you are working the lower areas of a vehicle. Tks for the advice.

Mike: I took your advice and bought the lift. What a huge difference just a matter of inches make when you are working the lower areas of a vehicle. Tks for the advice.

Hey Bill, Good choice.. I always use a lift, makes it easy. I see you are in Oregon too what part?:thumbsup:

Hey Bill, Good choice.. I always use a lift, makes it easy. I see you are in Oregon too what part?:thumbsup:

First I have to say that when you mentioned buying a lift, what came to mind was the big ones that they use in the service department of a dealership. :D One of those has been a goal of mine to put in my shop. However I spend to much money on Adam's products.

I live in Klamath Falls, OR. Which part U from?

First I have to say that when you mentioned buying a lift, what came to mind was the big ones that they use in the service department of a dealership. :D One of those has been a goal of mine to put in my shop. However I spend to much money on Adam's products.

I live in Klamath Falls, OR. Which part U from?

I am near Eugene, Crow actually. Now that I see where you are from we have actually chatted before, it's just that I have no memory left :willy::willy:

That is SICKENING to me!!! As a fellow rider I stop every chance I get to help out another rider, if they're broke down or just dropped the bike I try to always stop and help..ya know I just continue to be shocked at some peoples appalling behavior on the road and in life in general..I stopped once on a highway to help this lady prolly in her 40's change her tire cause she didn't know how, I asked her how long she'd been stopped she told me about 30 mins!!! :mad: This was on a busy section of road, so for a half hour NO ONE even stopped to help her out! I just don't get what goes through some peoples heads when they see someone that needs help or could use a bit of assistance and they just pass on by...

Ya know Vince, I think a lot of this is simply due to Society in today's World.

Some people are possible afraid to assist me or others like me that lay a bike over because their afraid of being sued. Even had Doctors tell me while they are traveling that they should have stopped and assisted people who were just in an accident but again, were afraid of being sued..

Then as most of us know, Society is not what it use to be, going back years ago. Today, with the high crime rate - murder, rapes, etc, people again are afraid to stop and help a lonely, stranded car that might have just one male in it - even with just a woman in it.

Car jackings, kidnappings, robbery, etc are rampant and getting worse. I still think there are many decent people out there, who deep within their hearts, really want to help. But "fear of the unknown" comes to the forefront of their minds.

Forewarned by the news media, the police, public safety announcements, parents, wife's or husbands, etc, it's just becoming second nature to look the other way.

A lot of States have laws that state one must render aid if they come up on an accident. Laws where you can be cited for refusing to assist a police officer if you see he needs help.

Even though I'll be the first one to assist anybody, I do have second thoughts now about doing it again. Four years ago as I was behind a teenage girl, talking on the cell phone. Just as we started down a steep grade, she lost control of the car, went off a very steep bank where the rocks were almost the size of a small home. No seat belt, and as the car was rolling over these boulders, she was thrown out of the car.

I immediately called 911. Crawled down to where this young girl was laying. Blood gushing from numerous, large areas of her body where the skin was ripped all the way opened. Worst one on her head. I took my shirt off and belt and wrapped that around her head. She then woke up, screaming, fighting me, scratching my arms and face but I was just trying to keep her from bleeding out.

State cop was the first to arrive and a minute or so later the EMT's arrived. When they got down to where we were, one of the EMT's asked me "what the hell are you doing and what did you do to her." Told them I was keeping direct pressure on one large wound and trying to keep her calm when she came to and started fighting me.

They told me to get the **** back up on the road. I said "yea, you're welcome!" Just as I reached the highway where this State cop was directing traffic, one of the EMT's yelled to the cop to get my name, address, etc. I told the cop I didn't want my name in the paper for helping this girl.

This cop told me "oh your name won't appear as a hero - "but" it may appear in the police arrest section if the Doctor at the hospital tells the EMT's that you gave improper aid or you did "something" else to her or if the girls admits you touched her improperly. Darn, she was in total shock so I know she probably wouldn't remember much if any of the wreck.

I was forced to give this cop all my information and told not to leave town. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

So you do have some, not a lot, of police officers and EMT's treat you as if you are the bad person and would love to have any reason to arrest you. So that does happen and again, another reason some people don't assist others.

A crazy World we do live in. Darned if you do, darned if you don't.

Bill, Don't be mad, I raise my lift.;):banana::D

:lol: Well nobody told me anything about doing that. Geesh the things ya gotta "drag" out of people. :confused::lol:

Once ya get it under the Tranny pan, how do you then ensure the car will remain "balanced?" :D

Edited by Corners

I am near Eugene, Crow actually. Now that I see where you are from we have actually chatted before, it's just that I have no memory left :willy::willy:

By a slim chance do you ride motorcycles or did you? When I seen your name I also recognized it but can't put a face to it. I recall also, talking to you.

I lived for two years in Corvallis but hung out in Eugene a long long time ago.

Also did you ever hang out on any of the motorcycle forums? This is gonna bug the heck out of me. :confused: