Customer Service 866.965.0400

cleaning top

dsny1984

Question

14 answers to this question

Gotcha, I don't see an issue with using just Adam's Shampoo on the top but taking extra precaution in making sure all the residual is flushed out of the fabric after a light scrubbing. In the event its a little dirtier, a few spritz of Adam's APC either straight or diluted might be good too. Some others that have a fabric top might also have suggestions. Hope that helps!

The product of choice is not made by Adam's...it is RaggTopp and is a two part system...cleaner and treatment. There are a few threads on these forums about convertible top care.

Now that being said, I had thought the same thing about Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner on fabric tops. I haven't done a side by side comparison as I don't have a dirty enough convertible top, but I just did a BMW M3 as a quick wash and dry for a third party customer and it wasn't going to get a full top clean and treat, but did have some bird droppings and other crud on it so I knew I had to clean it somehow. I whipped out my Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner and my Leather and Interior brush and went to work. It seemed to do OK without any adverse effects.

I would not put APC on a fabric top as it may affect the dye.

I assume the top is the one seen in your avatar?

On our Vette's black convertible top I usually just hose rinse the top. If it needs more cleaning than that then I usually just use the car shampoo and very lightly agitate using the upholstery brush (do NOT use the wash pads on the top, the little fibers are noticeable afterwards and you will end up using a lint roller to get rid of them later).

For drying: I blow the excess off with a leaf blower and then use the great white towel to blot dry.

I haven't had to use the raggtop product, but it is what Adam has recommended for convertible tops.

:cheers:

My top is vinyl so a little different, but I just use the Adams shampoo when it needs a good cleaning. Then a good helping of SVRT is my protection of choice. I've used 303 in the past and it's done well. Just wanted to see what SVRT would do given my top is vinyl. I'll prolly go back to 303 or try raggtop since after rinsing during general cleaning it leaves streaks on the windows. It washes off easy enough from the windows so no real big deal, and I'm sure it's not exactly designed for tops. lol

I'm on my 2nd convertible vette and I've used 303 products on both with excellent results. Mine stays in the garage covered most of the time so I only use the 303 cleaner followed by 303 fabric protection once a year. In between I use car wash right along with the rest of the car. if it stops beading I'll add another coating of protectant. If you use a brush you need to be careful not to raise the fabric with too much pressure especially over the cross bars or eventually the fabric will look different (faded looking). I use a soft foam sponge on the top and am careful not to put too much pressure on the cross bars.