Customer Service 866.965.0400

faded carpet

bmiklos6

Question

7 answers to this question

Corvette America in Reedsville Pa is the best place to get replacement carpet for any year Vette. I've been through their factory. Excellent company, best place for restoration parts.

In the meantime, you can try cleaning it and see if the color evens out some. Use Adam's Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner, diluted 3 parts water to 1 part cleaner. Be sure to test for colorfastness first in a hidden spot.

Actually there is a pretty common practice to fix faded carpet. I haven't tried them, but a budy of mine has when he used to detail for a company.

Research auto carpet dye...which is really carpet spray paint, because it doesn't require you to soak the carpet in the dye like traditional carpet dyes. Apparently they work pretty good, but I can't speak from experience as I've never used them.

The carpet dyes that I have found you usually have to buy a kit so you can blend colors and they aren't cheap. So you may want to find someone who has a kit and if you don't like the outcome then buy new carpet.

what would be the best bet on fixing faded carpet?

1985 corvette..

Thanks

I just did the seats on a black Pontiac with black interior. The interior looks and smells almost like new except the top of the rear seats and headrests. I got a dye kit from a company called Leather Magic in North Carolina. As the name implies they do leather but they also have kits for automotive carpet and upholstery. They recommmend you send them a sample for an exact match. I just gave them the year, make, model, and interior code from the glove box sticker and they were able to match it almost perfectly. The headrests were actually purple and the tops of the seat had more a greyish tone. I did the headrests first as I wanted to see the results before tearing the back seat out. It took several applications but the results were fantastic! Just make sure the carpet is super clean and free of embedded debris. I used Adams's carpet and upholstery cleaner made sure they were dry and went at it.

I have to say that I would call them to order though. They can give you a better idea as to how much product you will need and avoid the mistake I made by ordering a leather kit first! Their website has most of the color codes listed for the different makes and models of cars.

Also, yes it is permenant! I was worried a bit but have had zero problems with smearing or anything like that. I have since cleaned the whole interior with Adams's carpet and upholstery cleaner and you still can't tell the difference between the corrected spots and the rest of the seats.