Customer Service 866.965.0400

Strip Wash just the roof?

Beemer

Question

I want to strip the wax and seal from the roof of my car so I can polish it again but I DO NOT want to strip the window sealant or the rest of the car.

Any tips on how to accomplish this? I understand that IPA is discouraged and APC is encouraged but how? Should I spray it on and wipe it off? Diluted? Soak the MF towel and wipe?

Any tips from someone who has attempted something like this?

Thanks.

16 answers to this question

IPA is NOT discouraged. We actually encourage it when you need to touch up a small area. If you were going to strip your whole car we would suggest adams shampoo mixed with APC.

Spray it on the roof and wipe off with a great white drying towel or Waterless wash towel.

IPA is NOT discouraged. We actually encourage it when you need to touch up a small area. If you were going to strip your whole car we would suggest adams shampoo mixed with APC.

Spray it on the roof and wipe off with a great white drying towel or Waterless wash towel.

Great! Thanks.

Is there some reason why spraying APC on the roof and wiping it off with a wash towel is a BAD idea?

Great! Thanks.

Is there some reason why spraying APC on the roof and wiping it off with a wash towel is a BAD idea?

I don't know if it's a BAD idea, but IPA is a much better alternative. Mainly because it dries almost instantly after being wiped off. APC on the other hand, if left untouched, may cause damage if not wiped off properly.

Regardless, I use IPA when touching up or wiping polishing oils off.

I just used IPA and it seemed to work great. I just sprayed it on and wiped it off. I put a few towels down to catch overspray so it wouldn't get on the rest of the car.

Thanks for the help!

I did not.

Other than making it go farther I don't see the point. IPA evaporates very quickly...

There are some interweb discussions by some knowledgeable folks that even a 50/50 solution of IPA and water could be too strong for some clearcoats. The dilution with water may also provide a little longer 'work' time.

And if I remember another thread, there are 2 different strengths of IPA - one is 90%, which is suggested to be diluted 50/50 solution of IPA/distilled water, another is 70%, which some use straight. I favor the 50/50 dikution wtih the 90% IPA- a little milder, but it works very well. Gets all the old wax and or sealant off the finish in a flash, lets the polisher work to it's best ability. With nice clean paint (after stripping), it seemed to me that my correction was a little quicker.

And if I remember another thread, there are 2 different strengths of IPA - one is 90%, which is suggested to be diluted 50/50 solution of IPA/distilled water, another is 70%, which some use straight. I favor the 50/50 dikution wtih the 90% IPA- a little milder, but it works very well. Gets all the old wax and or sealant off the finish in a flash, lets the polisher work to it's best ability. With nice clean paint (after stripping), it seemed to me that my correction was a little quicker.

Bingo. It all depends on the alcohol %.

There are some interweb discussions by some knowledgeable folks that even a 50/50 solution of IPA and water could be too strong for some clearcoats. The dilution with water may also provide a little longer 'work' time.

Now you tell me. Oh well. I don't have any distilled water anyway. Next time I'll cut it 50/50.

No worries, it worked! I am sure that paint was clear of any sealant or wax! I think the 50/50 gets the job done and is gentle on the paint as well.

Go get those swirls! :pc:

Bite your tongue! I don't have no stinking SWIRLS!