Customer Service 866.965.0400

Backing plate on the flex

BlueGenCoupe

Question

Guys I don't know why but the backing plate on my flex keeps on popping off.

This is what it looks like

cfdb45f1-816c-7e4b.jpg

cfdb45f1-8183-1f14.jpg

Every time it pops off I loosen the nut , install the little silver piece(tap it in lightly) install the backing plate and tighten the nut.

I don't know what else to do. I'm half way through polishing the car and I'm afraid to use it again. Both times it popped it off I was lucky it never did damage.

This couldn't have happened at a worse time. Adams is closed for the long weekend, I'm not even close to finished and I have a client coming next Saturday!

Just make sure you have a pair of snap ring pliers. So that you don't damage the snap rings by twisting them into positions they shouldn't be twisted. You may be able to put them back on with out the snap ring pliers but good luck on getting them off with out a pair without damaging them IMHO.

The other thing to remember when you put that last snap ring back on, the first one you remove, remember to push down hard on the spindle. You will hear, see, and feel it snap into place when it goes. Just don't assume that you have pressed down hard enough and it is in. You don't need a hammer either. I just used my thumb to press down on it and a small flat tipped screwdriver to press down on the snap ring at the same time.

Edited by LFairbanks

So After many messages back and forth with Chris(LFairbank) I think we've came to a conclusion as to why the backing plate keeps on popping off. As seen in the flex parts diagram you see part #322.105(left side of the pic) as the spindle/shaft which holds the backing plate. In the diagram its shown as 1 piece. 3401diagram.png

Today I was able to take apart the spindle/shaft to inspect it and this is what I saw.

Remember in my first few pics you say the snap ring just floating around...well here it is. It wasn't attached to anything.

27745580.jpg

I pulled out the snap ring and then pulled out the rest of the shaft.

Here is a pic of LFairbanks Spindle/shaft in one piece

19c440a4.jpg

And here is mine(sorry I thought I took a pic of the other piece, but turns out I didn't)

3003b8e1.jpg

e29c4a34.jpg

The hole in the middle is where the rest of the shaft is suppose to go. Weird thing is, if it did break, it was the cleanest/semetrical brake I have ever seen.

Chris and I are a bit puzzled due to the way it broke apart and/or if there was new design.

Edited by BlueGenCoupe

Anthony,

At this point I have to agree with Dave... time to get this looked at by Flex/Adams... but..

Part 322.105 is inserted into part 259.148 and held by snap ring 102.091, not clear how part 104.949 is held on... but the assembly looks like it is inserted then held by snap ring 102.105.

All in all very odd that this thing would fall apart tho... Flex 3401 vrg is not known for this type of thing as far as I know... have seen reports about part 328.200 getting rubbed by the felt ring.... (I had that problem... sent it back to Adams and they took care of me)!!!

Part 322.105 is inserted into part 259.148 and held by snap ring 102.091, not clear how part 104.949 is held on... but the assembly looks like it is inserted then held by snap ring 102.105.

That is correct, like shown in the pic above that Chris provided.

The way I see it part 104.949 sits at the bottom and everything is pretty much locked into place by part 102.105.

Im working the night shift now, when I get home i'll take a nap and get in contact with Ashley and HOPE AND PRAY she can send me out a new one over night!

Edited by BlueGenCoupe

Anthony,

At this point I have to agree with Dave... time to get this looked at by Flex/Adams... but..

That is correct. Part 104.949 is just a needle bearing that sits in the bottom of the tool, and the end of the spindle sits inside it. It appears from the pics that I have seen that the spindle broke right where that retaining ring goes, part 102.091. Still scratching my head with that one.

Me personally, I would stop correcting and send it back in to Adams. This is a $300+ machine that needs to be repaired by someone other than the user IMO.

Exactly, and why wast time here when we can fix it immediately? Was it purchased from us? Wouldn't it be much quicker to speak with our customer service and get this resolved?

I like the direct route!

:)