Customer Service 866.965.0400

Swirl filler

Guest newbie

Question

Guest newbie

Hey everybody. New to this site, and just getting started with obsessing about my new cars paint job. I never even knew about "orange peel paint" until I started looking up all these forums about how to care for my car (now that I realize my car has it, it bothers me a bit). My wife is already rolling her eyes whenever I talk about all the products out there. My question is, is there an Adam's product for masking swirls, or filling them. At this point, I don't have the money to invest in the PC or anything, and they are very light marks on the vehicle, so I'm content with just filling them for now. I've tried searching these terms on the shop online, but I'm thinking you have to know what the product is actually called for it to pull results, or is there not a filler product from Adams?

10 answers to this question

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/waxing-glazing-sealing/15055.htm

I think that will answer your questions. Not sure if it's mentioned on there, but BG will wash off if wax is not applied over the top so look into that. If you daily the car then don't sweat orange peel. Most cars seem to have it and to cut it you'll be removing valuable clear coat that daily cars need so you can polish on them without hitting paint.

The Brilliant Glaze isn't going to address the swirls.

Since you're doing it by hand (that's what I do) then you need to use the combination of Swirl and Haze Remover and Revive Polish. Best thing is to start off by claying your car with clay and either Detail Spray or Waterless Wash. If you don't have clay, at least start with a clean car. Then on a clean microfiber cloth or pad (if you don't have an applicator...these will work) use Swirl and Haze first and follow up with Revive Polish or combine 2 parts Swirl and Haze and one part Revive Polish and do it all at once. Don't put a lot on and do a little area at a time. When you're satisfied with the result, then continue on doing a little area at a time until the car is finishe and you're happy with the results. Finish with a good coat of Buttery Wax or Americana.

It takes a little practice and maybe even a couple of coats, but you'll be amazed at the results. :thumbsup:

:welcomebanner::welcomebanner::welcomebanner:

I wouldn't bother with temporary fillers... just a waste of time/$ imho. If you can't afford the extra dough for the PC, the hand products from Adams is a good starting point. (although once you try machine polishing, you won't go back)

I wouldn't bother with temporary fillers... just a waste of time/$ imho. If you can't afford the extra dough for the PC, the hand products from Adams is a good starting point. (although once you try machine polishing, you won't go back)

I don't agree. I started hand polishing. Then got the PC and tried that. Went back to hand polishing and never looked back. Can't convince me that you only get excellent results with a machine. It just takes more time and patience to do it by hand.

I don't agree. I started hand polishing. Then got the PC and tried that. Went back to hand polishing and never looked back. Can't convince me that you only get excellent results with a machine. It just takes more time and patience to do it by hand.

+1 Do the best you can with what you have. You can accomplish a lot by hand. In the end it depends what your goal is. If you want a show car you'll probably never get there without wet sanding and machine polishing (even right out out of the factory). If you want a great looking daily driver you can get there by hand if the car is in decent shape. Try the S&H remover, Revive and Brilliant Glaze see where you're at. If you like it top it with Buttery wax and call it a day. I'll bet most people will think it looks awesome. Remember you already know where every mark is on the car because you've found them over time while washing and waxing. Most people probably won't notice them unless you tell them where they are.

Guest newbie
+1 Do the best you can with what you have. You can accomplish a lot by hand. In the end it depends what your goal is. If you want a show car you'll probably never get there without wet sanding and machine polishing (even right out out of the factory). If you want a great looking daily driver you can get there by hand if the car is in decent shape. Try the S&H remover, Revive and Brilliant Glaze see where you're at. If you like it top it with Buttery wax and call it a day. I'll bet most people will think it looks awesome. Remember you already know where every mark is on the car because you've found them over time while washing and waxing. Most people probably won't notice them unless you tell them where they are.

You got that right, I found all the fine swirls along the bottom of my door, and a couple of very small chips during claying today. I think the swirls were put on by the dealer, it had 140 miles when I got it, and they must have ran it through their washer a few times.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I'm going to put together a small list from your advice and order for a fathers day present. :) Yeah, the hand polishing will be good for me for now. I am looking forward to ordering the PC, probably around Christmas for my present again. BTW, the signature about black cars couldn't be more true. I have a little regret getting black (it does have a red flake in it), but it sure does clean up nice.

Wanna see all the trophies in my garage? And all received on a hand polished BLACK car including a Best in Show at a show with over 400 cars.

It's all practice and technique.........trial and error. And watching the videos and learning!

And 90% of it I learned here. :2thumbs:

As a new father, I don't have the time or patience to get the results I want with hand polishing so it isn't a viable option for me. However, that is why Adams offers an array of products... to each his/her own :cheers: