Customer Service 866.965.0400

Dirt clinging to wash mitts?

Ron Meadows

Question

I recently purchased both the large and small wash mitts and even after scrubbing the face of them on the grit guards in the clean water bucket I'm finding that I have to hand pick little pieces of dirt, grit, junk from them both. This can't be good for my paint!! Any one else out there seeing this problem?

Thanks for any help

17 answers to this question

No, I didn't. This is during the wash process....I seem to run out of hands!! The grit guards spin around in the bottom of the bucket so I have to hold it with one hand and try to scrub the wash mitts against the guard with the other....when I pull them out of the rinse water there is still pieces of dirt trapped in the fibers. They come clean when I scrub them after I'm finished washing the car/truck.

No, I didn't. This is during the wash process....I seem to run out of hands!! The grit guards spin around in the bottom of the bucket so I have to hold it with one hand and try to scrub the wash mitts against the guard with the other....when I pull them out of the rinse water there is still pieces of dirt trapped in the fibers. They come clean when I scrub them after I'm finished washing the car/truck.

Put them on a flat, clean surface (not the car) and blast them with your fire hose nozzle Adam's Ultimate Fire Hose Car Wash Nozzle

I use my pressure washer to knock all the big stuff of but esp on the rockers etc I sometimes find some stuff that I knock out of the mitt mid-wash....

Also search on the forums for a thread on how to stop your guards from moving... either use plastic zip ties or tighten your bucket caddy screws down (if you have the caddy)

Edited by gencoupe3dot8

:iagree:

Before using the wash pads on the car, the car needs more than just a light rinse, it needs to be thoroughly blasted. This first blasting rinse is, IMO, as important as using grit guards and having two buckets. This way those chunks of dirt won't be in your wash pad. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help everyone. I added the zip ties to both my grit guards and that seems to have been a big help. I'm still getting some dirt particles clinging to the smaller pad that I use for the lower portion of the car/truck but it is manageable. The large pad, once I got it clean, stayed that way for the entire vehicle.

Thanks for the help everyone. I added the zip ties to both my grit guards and that seems to have been a big help. I'm still getting some dirt particles clinging to the smaller pad that I use for the lower portion of the car/truck but it is manageable. The large pad, once I got it clean, stayed that way for the entire vehicle.

I think this is the big reason that Adam's recommends 2 wash pads. One above the beltline, and 1 below. Remember never to bring your washpad back up once down:thumbsup:

Dirtiest spots will be front grill/bumper, lower doors, and lower rear quarters.

I think this is the big reason that Adam's recommends 2 wash pads. One above the beltline, and 1 below. Remember never to bring your washpad back up once down:thumbsup:

Dirtiest spots will be front grill/bumper, lower doors, and lower rear quarters.

i always wash the lower sections last

These mitts seem to hold of lot of contamination compared to MF and Wool mitts, but they keep the soap and suds in the fibers better. After I dry my wash mitt, I brush/comb through it to ensure it is clean before I need to use it again.

These mitts seem to hold of lot of contamination compared to MF and Wool mitts, but they keep the soap and suds in the fibers better. After I dry my wash mitt, I brush/comb through it to ensure it is clean before I need to use it again.

I guess I never really thought about it...but I inspect them often during a wash. But you are correct, they seem to. I used the 3 bucket method today, and I still had to be vigilant about picking debris out. Little pieces here and there, but there was definately some present even after the two rinse buckets. I used 2 of the wash pads, not the mitt.

NOTE: I always do a thourough rinse, foam, rinse before I start and today was not exception.

I guess I never really thought about it...but I inspect them often during a wash. But you are correct, they seem to. I used the 3 bucket method today, and I still had to be vigilant about picking debris out. Little pieces here and there, but there was definately some present even after the two rinse buckets. I used 2 of the wash pads, not the mitt.

NOTE: I always do a thourough rinse, foam, rinse before I start and today was not exception.

Same here I should say.

They are not the best wash mitts, but they are cheap and I still feel they hold more water and allow more lubrication versus a traditional wool mitt. I guess I to need to be more careful as to what contamination lies on my paint and how well I pick it out during the wash routine.

The white wash mitt seems to pick up a lot of dirt. I am not sure some of it isn't gnats landing in the water on the car. I pick up the rise guard and rub the mitt against it. I get more forceand full swipes that way.

Rinsing the items cleans them the the best, but I always try and finish the wash quickly to keep the car suds lubricating. I am thinking of using 3 mitts with one for the front grill and the lower portions of the car. Threes buckets might be coming also.

Edited by Feets31

I dont have the adams wash mitts, but I have used other mitts from other brands. I have always had similar issues with other brands; because of this I no longer use wash mitts, micro/cotton/terry/wool etc anymore.

the Small and Jumbo wash Pads hold much more suds then the Adams Wash Mitt.

This weekend I got some crap in my pad. No matter how much scrubbing I did on the grit guard; it just wouldn't come off. So out came the scissors and trimed the dirt off.

I inspect it after every swipe and use the hose and my fire nozzle to spray away the debris. Picking it out is nearly impossible. I have a merino wool mitt, but I actually prefer the pad over it. It doesn't mat down as easily and I personally find it easier to see gunk in. My vehicles are DD's and with that comes ALL KINDS of stuff. If it was a garage queen that may see nothing more than heavy dust, I'd be all over the Merino. I'm not saying the Merino is bad, I'm just saying for my use, the jumbo pads are superior.