Customer Service 866.965.0400

Thinking seriously about a bike

bjoeaull

Thanks again everyone! I have decided to put this idea to rest and maybe revisit the thought when I get older. Too much at risk. I will try to find another hobby or something. But I appreciate all the feedback, it basically helped me come to this conclusion.

Jesus, now I feel like I talked you out of a dream or yours...a bucket list item of sorts:mad:

Jesus, now I feel like I talked you out of a dream or yours...a bucket list item of sorts:mad:

No way to think Dave. He came on the forum and asked for advice and he received a lot of it. Would venture to say that he did a lot of serious thinking and realized wife and kids came first. I respect that decision. Remember, I too gave him a lot of advice.

No way to think Dave. He came on the forum and asked for advice and he received a lot of it. Would venture to say that he did a lot of serious thinking and realized wife and kids came first. I respect that decision. Remember, I too gave him a lot of advice.

yeah...you're right. It was you who crushed his dreams...bwahahahaha

Haha Dave, no worries! Trust me this was no life long dream, I really never put too much thought into bikes, liked them, but never enough to own one. There was something about the one I found here in town that made me want one. Might have been an impulse buy. I still really want it, but I also really want to see my kids grow up! I must be getting old to be making decisions like this! lol 33 for the record.

I don't even have many biker friends so I needed some experienced guys to tell me those things you all mentioned so I could make an informed decision. You may have saved my life. We may never know.

Haha Dave, no worries! Trust me this was no life long dream, I really never put too much thought into bikes, liked them, but never enough to own one. There was something about the one I found here in town that made me want one. Might have been an impulse buy. I still really want it, but I also really want to see my kids grow up! I must be getting old to be making decisions like this! lol 33 for the record.

I don't even have many biker friends so I needed some experienced guys to tell me those things you all mentioned so I could make an informed decision. You may have saved my life. We may never know.

Like Corners said I hope in time you revisit the idea I truely do...at 33 buddy ya got a while to "play" ;) I'm in somewhat the same boat as mentioned before...my main reason..geez I guess I'm saying this for the first time outside my own head...I have a sick and dying grandma (who's like a second mother) who I know would like to go before she sees me go, dad and mom understand the reasons I do what I do but they don't like it, a girl that I hope, wish, and pray to start a family and life with not to mention I'm a "planner"...don't know too many other 26yr olds with a life insurance policy much less a savings, money market account and a Ira, ALL for mine and my future wife's retirement and kids college fund if they so choose...all leading me to take less risks with my own life as I get older I realize it's not so much about "Me" anymore I have to take care of my family both now and in the future....I will misss my bike beyond belief but with the woman I love beside me and eventually a kid it will fill that 'excitement' void. I know I'm young but trust me I have lived and done just about everything under the sun....I'm ready for less excitement haha!!! I'm ready for normal man!! Will I revisit having a bike in the future? I'm sure of it!! In the mean time I'll preoccupy myself with a hobby that involves someone else and will teach my eventual child about cars and maybe have a father/son or daughter project going who knows? The possibilities with that and life in general are endless my friend!!! Like others have said look for something you can involve the whole family in...nothing's worth having if it isn't shared! :)

My wife called me yesterday and asked me to sell my bikes. ODD... She went on to say that someone she was friends with years ago died on Saturday leaving behind his 5 children.

He was on his way home at 2:30AM and a vehicle crossed the road killing him instantly. Now, we don't know what he was doing at 230am, but he was known to frequent the local watering hole, so we don't know the WHOLE story. Needless to say, we feel horrible for his kids... All 5 of them...

Chris

not selling his bikes yet

I had many of bikes,,, Me and a friend had a really bad accident while stationed in Japan. He passed away from his injuries in the accident. I had some road rash and stuff of the sort.

Did not learn my lesson,, came back to California to Camp Pendleton.. wrecked on the off ramp of I-5 in Oceansided... no injuries.

The final cut was on my ZX-7RR. Passed my wife on the way home from work over 120 MPH. Did not even notice it was her that I had passed. SHe got home, took the keys and sold it.

I crave one real bad. But I know I can not just ride it without showing off. I would love to have a HD Electric Glide Full Dress.

It is great to have them if you can remember Clint Eastwood's ole saying.

" A Man has to know his limitations" :cheers:

The final cut was on my ZX-7RR. Passed my wife on the way home from work over 120 MPH. Did not even notice it was her that I had passed. SHe got home, took the keys and sold it.

See, that's just it... it's hard to realize that riding a bike scares the bejesus out your wife, your kids, your friends, your parents... think of all people that would be absolutely heartbroken and whose lives would change so dramatically if you killed or paralyzed yourself. It's just not worth the risk.

To the OP: As mentioned by someone earlier, maybe there's a time later in life when a relaxed cruiser makes more sense... when you can enjoy leisurely rides, not in rush-hour traffic, without your mind on work, only in good weather, in groups with friends, etc. But now, with three young kids in the house -- you've made the right decision.

See, that's just it... it's hard to realize that riding a bike scares the bejesus out your wife, your kids, your friends, your parents... think of all people that would be absolutely heartbroken and whose lives would change so dramatically if you killed or paralyzed yourself. It's just not worth the risk.

To the OP: As mentioned by someone earlier, maybe there's a time later in life when a relaxed cruiser makes more sense... when you can enjoy leisurely rides, not in rush-hour traffic, without your mind on work, only in good weather, in groups with friends, etc. But now, with three young kids in the house -- you've made the right decision.

That is why I do not have a bike,,, I know it would be hard for me to not push it to its limits. I would really love to have a HD.

It is not just having a bike is dangerous, It is all the people around you that are dangerous. Man you have to have eyes going everywhich a way to watch out for people.

That is why I do not have a bike,,, I know it would be hard for me to not push it to its limits. I would really love to have a HD.

It is not just having a bike is dangerous, It is all the people around you that are dangerous. Man you have to have eyes going everywhich a way to watch out for people.

After having a crotch rocket, I feel the same as you. It's hard not to push the limits. Those bikes should only be driven on the track, where they where designed to be driven. It's nearly impossible to drive around on those things in an every day environment, and not push the limits at some point. And that's all it takes, the one stupid decision.

I can't speak for cruisers though.

I have both a cruiser and a sport bike... No doubt you push them, but 99% of people can't get close to the limits of a sport bike. What they do is cross the limit the streets/roads can handle. I have never been a wheelie guy or doing smokey burnouts. I can go fast, but not what I'd call stupidly so. I've done stupid things in the past... I've gone down, but I always ALWAYS ride with my full kit on... No skin showing... NONE!

Chris

This is what I would want!!!!!! :bow:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1A823rDZNo&feature=fvwrel]2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited after adding Vance and Hines Slip Ons-Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

My wife called me yesterday and asked me to sell my bikes. ODD... She went on to say that someone she was friends with years ago died on Saturday leaving behind his 5 children.

Chris

not selling his bikes yet

If I had a nickel for every time someone found out I ride and told me a story about "so-and-so wrecked his bike", or "I saw the EMTs carting off a biker" etc... I know they mean well (and I apparently have too many friends in the medical field), but no one tries to talk me out of driving despite all the car crashes that happen every day. And riding is infinitely more fun, so at least there's a tradeoff to the risk involved.

About 15 years ago I had two close friends I often rode with. One day the 3 of us were out, and Friend1 crashed going into a sharp right on a 2 lane road. He wasn't injured, but the sight of his bike flying end-over-end was enough to convince Friend2 to quit riding. Ironically, he was killed just a few months later in a car wreck where he was a passenger. So while I understand the risks of riding and know plenty of folks who've been down, it bothers me when others who've never even experienced it act like nobody ever gets hurt unless they're on a motorcycle.

If I had a nickel for every time someone found out I ride and told me a story about "so-and-so wrecked his bike", or "I saw the EMTs carting off a biker" etc... I know they mean well (and I apparently have too many friends in the medical field), but no one tries to talk me out of driving despite all the car crashes that happen every day. And riding is infinitely more fun, so at least there's a tradeoff to the risk involved.

About 15 years ago I had two close friends I often rode with. One day the 3 of us were out, and Friend1 crashed going into a sharp right on a 2 lane road. He wasn't injured, but the sight of his bike flying end-over-end was enough to convince Friend2 to quit riding. Ironically, he was killed just a few months later in a car wreck where he was a passenger. So while I understand the risks of riding and know plenty of folks who've been down, it bothers me when others who've never even experienced it act like nobody ever gets hurt unless they're on a motorcycle.

Agreed! I always have to ask... Was he wearing any gear and was he bar hopping. Bar hopping is big around here and I've personally NEVER understood it.

Chris

This is what I would want!!!!!! :bow:

Well I have to jump in here again. If you've never ridden or owned this big bike, make sure you do "before" you ever buy it.

I had the same bike in 2007. It was when they first came out with the six speed transmission and the larger engine.

I rode it home, over a mountain - 75 miles and I had to stop many times. The "heat" that comes off of these engines are terrible. So bad that Harley came out with heat shields that were suppose to protect your thighs. Worthless pieces of junk!

I get it home, reading the manual when I read that in temp's over 50 degrees, take off the lower fairings so the engine does not overheat. What? I didn't buy a bike just so I had to start stripping parts off of it to keep the engine cooler.

6 spd tranny. It was suppose to be normal for 5th gear to make a noise. This was driving me crazy. "Then" 6th gear started making a noise and I started to lose my gas mileage. Dealership said nothing wrong with 6th gear and to put some kind of gas additive in, in an attempt to raise my mileage up. Again, I didn't buy this bike to be forced to put a gas additive in it.

Finally, after putting 1803 miles on it, I sold it, taking a $6,000 loss and bought a new GoldWing GL 1800.

Now the feedback I'm getting from friends who bought this bike you want, those problems I mentioned are still there. Additionally this is an extremely heavy bike - "extremely heavy." My GoldWing weighed in, empty, at 1150 lbs. This Harley, I don't remember the exact weight, is a very heave and hard bike to ride, especially while driving slow and in particular, parking lots.

Not trying by any means to talk you out of ever buying a bike like this, but again I would highly suggest that you find a Harley dealer that will let you take a test ride first. Good Luck with it if you buy it. :cheers:

Funny you mention the problems you encountered with Harley, that's pretty much the reason I loved my Honda's. I loved my Goldwing and would have another in a heartbeat, except that with a kid in college and just recently being retired, toy money is a bit tight. Anyway, those new Wings are awesome! But back on topic, you are correct, it has always scared me when people who had no riding experience bought a big bike for their first ride. I know I started small with a 50cc Harley when I was only 14 then moved up to 100cc Bridgestone, 305 Honda, and then to a Honda 750 4. I must tell you, that riding those small bikes provided invaluable, I can't even begin to tell you how much I learned about proper riding from the smaller bikes. I learned how to ride and discovered that even with all my experience it was much easier to get into trouble with the big bike, and many times it was instinct and experience that helped me react to situations...if it had not been for the smaller bikes, I shutter to think of what might have happened.

Funny you mention the problems you encountered with Harley, that's pretty much the reason I loved my Honda's. I loved my Goldwing and would have another in a heartbeat, except that with a kid in college and just recently being retired, toy money is a bit tight. Anyway, those new Wings are awesome! But back on topic, you are correct, it has always scared me when people who had no riding experience bought a big bike for their first ride. I know I started small with a 50cc Harley when I was only 14 then moved up to 100cc Bridgestone, 305 Honda, and then to a Honda 750 4. I must tell you, that riding those small bikes provided invaluable, I can't even begin to tell you how much I learned about proper riding from the smaller bikes. I learned how to ride and discovered that even with all my experience it was much easier to get into trouble with the big bike, and many times it was instinct and experience that helped me react to situations...if it had not been for the smaller bikes, I shutter to think of what might have happened.

:iagree:- "Totally." That is also how I started riding bikes. Had to go to the smaller ones because even my toes wouldn't touch the ground when on a bigger bike.

Smaller bikes allow you to do things/learn, so when you move up to bigger ones, like you said, you know what to do.

Sad to say I had to sell my Wing to my best friend because I'm starting to lose the feelings in both legs, especially the left one - the one I put on the pavement first, when I stop. But I am going to have a GWing Trike built for me. No, not the kit, buying a new one. I still have my 2004 Harley - tops out, weight wise at 850 lbs, dry. As I have posted earlier, yes I have dropped it at traffic lights due to my leg or foot being numb and not really realizing it. But I would never sell that bike as long as I can take a breath. If necessary, I might trike it out. Seen 'um done that way.

Regardless, I won't quit riding until, physically, I can do it no longer. The "fear" of hurting somebody else is always in the back of my mind. That's why I will let others, while riding with a group, do their speeding thing and I'm way in the back of the pack.

It amazes me when I see a very small guy, who's riding either the largest Harley or GWing and they have to stand on their toes when stopped. The bigger boy toys are great for the open road but surely not for just cruising up and down a major street, with cagers all around you. I use to swing a leg over the Wing and the wife would sometimes get a call that I was in Reno, NV when I live in Southern OR. I just didn't want to stop riding the thing and always packed one change of clothing and ensured that I had my "only" motorcycle credit card. :lol:

One thing to always remember. If you can't afford another bike and I have to give up riding do to physical limitations - we can always kick back and remember the thousands of good times we had while and when we rode. Neve met a biker on the road that I didn't like and absolutely love to talk to one in a coffee shop who also had to give it up. :cheers:

Wow, amazingly our stories are alike, I had to stop riding due to an accident that messed up my right knee...at the accident scene you could see my knee joint...it took over 200 stitches to close the wound...and it was NOT a bike accident. Ended up selling my Wing to a really close friend who helped me with a bunch of home remodeling and updating projects. Also, I got a custom seat that lowered the seating position so I could touch the ground better because of my short legs...would love to get together sometime and swap stories over coffee...bet we could have some great laughs!

Wow, amazingly our stories are alike, I had to stop riding due to an accident that messed up my right knee...at the accident scene you could see my knee joint...it took over 200 stitches to close the wound...and it was NOT a bike accident. Ended up selling my Wing to a really close friend who helped me with a bunch of home remodeling and updating projects. Also, I got a custom seat that lowered the seating position so I could touch the ground better because of my short legs...would love to get together sometime and swap stories over coffee...bet we could have some great laughs!

It's sad to say, as to what happened to you, there are many different things that make one have to sell his ride.

I know a lot of buddies in the construction trade that were messed up while on the job. Could't ride anymore and had to sell their bikes.

That would be hard to see somebody else riding your bike down your street knowing you couldn't ride again.

Would love to have coffee but with the "great distance" between us - I won't say it would be impossible - but a tad on the slim side. :hi: