Customer Service 866.965.0400

How to fight "you clean too much?"

xkwj43z

I always explained it to my wife that by me keeping my car real clean and looking great for me it makes me feel like I"m getting into a brand new car everytime I go to drive somewhere. She never understood this until we just got her a camaro. Now she wants it kept spotless as well LOL.

You may want to present this as more of a hobby than an obsession and that it does not impact your relationship with her anymore than her hobbies/interests do.

^^This.

Whenever I can, I do my detailing whenever the wife's away or otherwise busy. But it doesn't always work out that way. Sometimes I'll spend an entire weekend day on our 3 cars, while she does other stuff in the house. I think it's a fairly harmless hobby; I don't go out drinking (and barely drink at home), don't smoke, don't do drugs lol. Makes spending a small fortune on cleaning supplies and many hours on detailing the family's cars seem pretty harmless, doesn't it ?! :2thumbs:

Please don't be offended, but I figured you are a younger person on the site. Keep in mind too that if you are young, unless you're some kind of BossPimp, she is gonna be on the younger side also...

Perspective and Priorities seem to clarify themselves with age. ;)

Maybe he has a Cougar (not a Mercury) :lol:

Whenever I can, I do my detailing whenever the wife's away or otherwise busy. But it doesn't always work out that way. Sometimes I'll spend an entire weekend day on our 3 cars, while she does other stuff in the house. I think it's a fairly harmless hobby; I don't go out drinking (and barely drink at home), don't smoke, don't do drugs lol. Makes spending a small fortune on cleaning supplies and many hours on detailing the family's cars seem pretty harmless, doesn't it ?! :2thumbs:

I told my wife years ago this hobby is harmless and relatively inexpensive. I explained it pretty much the same way and reminded her that a girlfriend would be a VERY expensive hobby so please let me have my (sport red) mistress.

BTW:When she gets a compliment at the gas station or parking deck on her shiny ride she immediately calls me and gloats! :rockon:

Please don't be offended, but I figured you are a younger person on the site. Keep in mind too that if you are young, unless you're some kind of BossPimp, she is gonna be on the younger side also...

Perspective and Priorities seem to clarify themselves with age. ;)

I couldn't help myself here...Been there done that, the older they get doesn't seem to help the cause. ;) At least in my case...

Of course, that is if I'm correct in assuming you're on the lines of car care in her eyes.

To the OP's plight, just let her know that its something that is a hobby, and that's it. It may be a bit time consuming but if you get your routine down, there's going to be plenty more time for her than the car....

Every weekend when im washing my car my neighbour comes out and says, your washing your car again?

My response: your 38, up until you finally found a girlfriend(last summer) you were playing video games in your basement. Did I bother you?

Your 20 years old. stay single...its better this way. You can do whatever you want, whenever you want and don't need to listen to the bickering. Not to mention the money you have to spend going out to dinners and movies; you could be spending on Adams products! :lol:

I told my wife years ago this hobby is harmless and relatively inexpensive...:rockon:

My wife complained once about the cost of Adam's products. I told her the cost and then gave her an estimate for what an afternoon out drinking at the local "ballet" would cost. I'm in the garage/driveway, have a few beers, and it's harmless fun for me. She does benefit from it as well. Never heard another complaint. I think I will spring for the Flex soon!

My response: your 38, up until you finally found a girlfriend(last summer) you were playing video games in your basement. Did I bother you?

Jeez Anthony, comments like those are what makes some people go postal. :lol:

My response: your 38....you were playing video games in your basement. Did I bother you?

I resent that! hahahahahahah! but...i has a GF....and no basment. everything else is spot on :thumbsup:

Hey, you're young, go ahead and detail. The car isn't who you are, but having a nice clean ride is nice, and is (in a way) being a good host for anyone who rides in it, and probably helping your resale to boot. She probably views her car as an appliance, and doesn't think of it as a reflection on her personally.

If she keeps squawking and doesn't understand that you value your time with her as well, time for a new girlfriend.

yes she has a 2001 Cavalier, junk lol she doesnt take care of it

Any chance you can detail her car to show her what it looks like clean? Maybe she will appreciate what you do a little more. My wife now loves driving an (almost) always clean car, and her friends are a little jelly when they go out. A win for me! ;)

I was in the same situation with my girlfriend. She told me I cleaned my truck too much. Since then I did her car and her jaw dropped. Now I get her involved in doing my truck.

The other thing I tell her is I think how clean a car is reflects on a persons self esteem.I keep my vehicles clean and to me it shows how I run my life. Clean vehicle, clean person, shows I respect my stuff and the stuff of others. She understands that fully.

Besides... I take time out to do "her" stuff..... yeah it sucks but I do it.