Customer Service 866.965.0400

Removing wax

Guest newbie

Question

Guest newbie

So I'm reading about the quick sealant spray, and it says to apply directly to the paint. Do I just need to wait until my wax wears off, or do I have to clay the car to remove wax? Just wondering because I don't want to clay too often, but I'd like to try this product out soon and I just clayed and waxed my car this weekend.

13 answers to this question

You don't have to clay to remove the wax, just add a couple ounces of All Purpose Cleaner in with the shampoo on your next wash and it should strip the wax. Better yet, wipe down the surface with isopropyl alcohol before applying the sealant to really assure that all wax has been removed.

As has been said, adding All Purpose Cleaner to your wash bucket will safely strip the wax off.

Sealants need to be applied to bare paint. Once your wax is stripped, you can apply the Quick Sealant. Afterwards you can put a coat of wax on top for more depth and shine.

The "fine grade" clay bar will not remove max. The "heavy duty" or "professional grade" bars will remove wax IIRC. Here at Adam's they recommend using a few ounces of APC in your soap water to remove wax. I've added APC to Dawn and the water sticks to the paint like Spider Man. LOL!

I think you can safely apply QS on top of whatever you have already on the vehicle. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Which reminds me, I need to order some QS asap!

Well you can do and ipa whipe Down or when you go to do a 2 bucket wash add some apc to your wash bucket with the shampoo I think it's like 2oz of apc not 100% sure

Chris if you do this, make sure the car is washed and clean. You don't want to ruin your finish.

I think you can safely apply QS on top of whatever you have already on the vehicle. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

To clarify.....

Technically you "can" do this, but the Quick Sealant will only last as long as what's underneath it. So if you have a coat of wax under it, it's only going to last as long as that wax. So I would NOT recommend just applying it over the top of whatever is currently on the car. Not a smart move.

As aforementioned by a couple other guys. Either add 2oz. of APC to your next wash to strip the current wax. Or wipe the ride down with Isopropyl Alcohol to remove the current wax. ONLY apply SEALANT to a BARE paint finish in order to achieve maximum results from it. It's one of the ways a sealant is different from a wax.

Hope this clarifies things for you. :cheers:

Thanks for the responses guys, another thing to add to my growing list... all purpose cleaner.

APC is an essential item to have. I highly reccomend purchasing a gallon with an empty 36 oz bottle (with standard sprayer). Not only do I use this stuff on so much of my vehicles it's the best for cleaning anything around the house as well.

will dawn or all purpose cleaner remove plasti dip? i have my rims black and dont want to remove it.

No. The master blaster comes close, but apc or dawn won't remove plastidip.

Likes others have stated. APC or IPA wipe down. I personally recommend BOTH. If you don't get all the wax off the finish you will be able to see hazy/white spots where not all the wax was removed when you look hard enough. I had spots on my car where I didnt get all the wax off the first time and it shows for someone with a keen eye.