Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ipa whipe down

Theis

Question

11 answers to this question

Fill up a spray bottle half way with IPA the other half water.

Spray a panel and wipe away with a waterless wash towel or gwdt

Same affect...different approach for me.:D

Full strength 70/30, and the Single Soft for me. I hate IPA wipedown's with waffle weaves for some reason. :lol:

Full strength 70/30, and the Single Soft for me. I hate IPA wipedown's with waffle weaves for some reason. :lol:

Waffle weave is designed to collect water, single soft is not.

Reconsider my friend!

Waffle weave is designed to collect water, single soft is not.

Reconsider my friend!

Stop your mind control games:lolsmack:

Haha, I've tried both, and I'll stick with the longer nap mf's. The SS also work very well on a WW...they hold just as much water to me. :D

Hm, I actually spray the panel, wipe it around with a blue MF pad, then wipe it off with a MF of some sort - probably a blue WW MF... And I use distilled water for any dilution like this (our water is pretty hard here).

Full strength 70/30, and the Single Soft for me. I hate IPA wipedown's with waffle weaves for some reason.

Couldn't agree more Dave. This is exactly what I do as well.

Can I ask what IPA is? I know its used to clean off panels, I have never used it and am curious as to the benefits of it. Thanks in advance!

IPA = Isopropyl Alcohol (yes the same alcohol you can buy at Wal-Mart for like $.79 a bottle in the beauty section). It's used to remove wax or other oils from the paint/clearcoat to create a BARE surface. This is beneficial when polishing to find out what swirl or scratches (if any) are left. Or also getting the paint/clearcoat bare, before applying a sealant (which is crucial for sealant to adhere properly).

Can someone explain to me how to do properly I'm not sure exactly how this is done

By far, I'm not an expert with using IPA but here is a quick bit of info for what it's worth:

A strong solution of IPA can stain and even soften some clear coat paints.

High Solids Clear Coats paints are "Alcohol Friendly", meaning products like Isopropyl Alcohol, can and will penetrated into, soften, wrinkle and/or stain the paint. To avoid any of these problems, a 10% dilution of IPA to water solution is recommended and adequate to remove any compounding and polishing residues without risking any danger to your car's paint or your customer's car's paint.

You can also opt to use Mineral Spirits instead as they will also remove compounding and polish residues.

Edited by Corners

Learn something new everyday here thanks for that!! So its something to be done after polishing is done and I'm going to put the sealer down?

NO its used to remove wax if you need to correct a certain area. To wipe off polish just spritz the area with DS or WW