Customer Service 866.965.0400

Keeping a drill bit cool going through steel?

3PedalMINI

i recently purchased a Harbor Freight Haul Master HD trailer (1720 lb) I need it for hauling rental equipment, specifically hand lifts/trenchers to the job sites etc. I purchased a bunch of stake pockets and need to drill holes in the frame to mount them.

I purchased a Uni-Bit and got through 2 holes with ease using wd-40. Well i ran out of wd-40 and i cant help but to think there has got to be something specifically made for drilling holes. I need something i can pick up tomorrow morning at HD/Lowes/Tractor Supply etc.

A quick google search brought up thread cutting oil but im not so sure i can find that locally.

Help! i know theres alot of guys on here that work with steel. need the trailer finished by friday for a trencher im picking up so i cant order anything. I guess if theres nothing locally i can just go back to using wd-40 :o i have 30 more holes to drill :lolsmack:

TIA!

Like you said cutting oil....or 3-in-1 oil works just fine. We (well, not me anymore) do alot of drilling and this has worked for me that last 16 years :). I'm sure there is something "better" out there, but it cut's down on the friction and the heat enough in my applications. I just hold the bottle next to the drill bit, and squeeze it when I need it.

Keeping the drill bit sharp is the other key factor......if they are junk bits, keep a few handy and just use a new one when you feel it isn't cutting correctly. If you have a sharpener, they work to. But Harbor Freight has throwaway bits.

Good find Chris...looks like it's in store and cheap also....

Depending on what size, you can also get a 10 pack of "high" speed bits for like $8. I would assume they are garbage though, but that's the point.

My wife tells me I should work in that store.

Haha, you should man. Everytime I go there, it's a PITA to find someone to help us out. It maybe a local anomily, but I always end up back at Lowes. :cheers:

Haha, you should man. Everytime I go there, it's a PITA to find someone to help us out. It maybe a local anomily, but I always end up back at Lowes. :cheers:

lol! im literly known by name by all the cashiers at lowes...Luckyly they're all chicks :D too bad none of them are cute :(:lolsmack:

Thanks Guys, the 32oz cutting oil linked above worked perfect! the unibit held out awesome too. i would say its good for another 32 holes in steel. :2thumbs:

Crisco! Not kidding... Many use it in their annular cutters. lol.

Magic tap is something we sell and works well.

Sent from the past using special algorithms and data nodes!

If you ever get in a bind and need something, a mixture of soap and water can be used. I'd prefer that over any oil / solvent not designed for heated applications. Some of those chemicals can become quite toxic when heated.