Customer Service 866.965.0400

Adams Shut Off Valve - Question

NacsMXer

Question

So I just received my Adams shut off valve and I noticed something odd about it. The ball valve only opens 90% of the way in the full open position. I can manually push the ball valve all the way open with my finger, but when I close and open the valve again via the lever it goes back to 90% open. I tried adjusting the lock nut to remove the play and get the ball to move in sync with the lever when fully open but it didn't help any. Is this normal/do your valves act the same? I want all the flow I can get. Thanks.

shutoff.jpg

10 answers to this question

Hmmm. I've never noticed this on mine but probably wasn't paying too much attention to it. I'll have check mine out in the morning.

But if you're not putting too much pressure to push it all the way open then I'm sure the force of the water is doing the same to create maximum flow.

Hmmm. I've never noticed this on mine but probably wasn't paying too much attention to it. I'll have check mine out in the morning.

But if you're not putting too much pressure to push it all the way open then I'm sure the force of the water is doing the same to create maximum flow.

It actually had a little bit of resistance to push the ball fully open. Being brand new that didn't surprise me, but it's definitely not free floating. IDK about water pressure pushing it open.

I also noticed the lever moves smoothly/without resistance when not installed on the hose. When you install it onto the hose the lever takes significantly more effort to turn. I think this is normal since when you tighten it onto the hose, the threads from the hose are pushing on the rubber gasket, which pushes on the ball valve...making the lever harder to turn.

Also, what's up with the shut off valve's lever having a lot of play in it? Do yours have play as well? I wouldn't mind if the action was a bit more solid.

If you want it to be more solid you can tighten the nut on top and it will hold it, but as far as the function goes, with water pressure behind it the lever will stay in place (open or close) very well.

When there is no pressure it will flop around loosely, nothing wrong with it... absolutely the way its supposed to be.

If you want it to be more solid you can tighten the nut on top and it will hold it, but as far as the function goes, with water pressure behind it the lever will stay in place (open or close) very well.

When there is no pressure it will flop around loosely, nothing wrong with it... absolutely the way its supposed to be.

Thanks for the reply Dylan. I know exactly what you mean by it flopping loosely without water pressure. But even with water pressure behind it, mine has play. It's not a huge issue or anything, more like a small annoyance. Just wondering if everybody's valve was like that or not.

I have adjusted the nut every which way, and the second you start to eliminate some of the play in the lever, the lever becomes considerably harder to open/close. There's not much middle ground in adjusting the nut; it's either smooth/easy with a lot of play, or hard to turn with a little play.

Here's a quick vid of my valve with the water turned on.

Dramm shut off valve play - YouTube

So the lever is wiggly, but its not opening or closing too easily correct? Seems pretty much how mine is. Normal operation. Mine has some play at either position, but it doesn't move the valve on the inside.

Yep, that is exactly how mine behaves. I just wanted to make sure I didn't have a wonky valve or something. Thank you for verifying that :thumbsup: