Customer Service 866.965.0400

2 Quick Questions

Formula

Question

Going to do my first detail on my firebird today since today isn't raining :D

So my two questions are the front bumper on it always gets destroyed by bugs... it is literally impossible to keep clean. What can I use to try and keep that as clean as possible? Would detail spray work on it?

And my second question, I forgot to order some all purpose cleaner to wash my hand applicators :( So for washing them after im done today could just washing it with regular soap and water do the trick?

14 answers to this question

1. Once you remove all the bugs from your bumper throw 2 or 3 coats of Quick Sealant on the front end. This will provide some added protection from the bugs sticking as much. It will also allow for easier removal of the bugs the next time you wash.

2. I don't see why you couldn't use another cleaner similar to an APC that you may have around the house. I have not tired this myself since gallons of APC are always stocked in my house for all sorts of cleaning needs.

And last but not least...enjoy your day detailing your ride! :thumbsup:

1. Any extra protection on the front will help with the bugs, but QS goes on sooo fast. This will need to reapplied often to continue to protect.
  2. A degreaser is what is needed to remove polishes from the applicators, so blue Dawn or other APC's will work.

Ahh, great question, one of my pet peeves (besides dirty exhaust tips) is bugs on the front bumpers. I have discovered that getting the bumper clean..doing the wash, clay bar, Revive, Polish thing. I have put 2 coats of Quick Sealant and then 2 coats of wax over the top. I use Detail Spray almost daily to clean any bugs off the front of the car. I don't allow them to build up, but to really keep it clean it demands daily attention. I also will use Waterless Wash to get a heavy build-up off then follow it with detail spray to keep it looking good.

As far as cleaning pads, if I am out of all purpose cleaner, I use Dawn & water to soak them in for a few hours then rinse them and let soak again in Dawn, before giving them a complete rinse, another soak in just fresh water, and then finally an additional complete rinsing.

and Kevin, when you get home everyday, if you really want to keep the bugs down, just take the 2 minutes and use the WW to get the bugs off the front bonet. That way they won't build up and you won't have to worry about etching.

and Kevin, when you get home everyday, if you really want to keep the bugs down, just take the 2 minutes and use the WW to get the bugs off the front bonet. That way they won't build up and you won't have to worry about etching.

Good idea on that one, thanks man!

On older "less frequently washed" vehicles, it is usually a pain to remove bugs from the finish once they have had time to sit. When I bought my car I decontaminated the bumper and I wash it as often as I need to, not allowing bugs and contamination the time to bond. Obviously protecting the paint is key to shedding dirt/bugs/debris/etc.

Will waterless wash eat away any wax or sealant if its applied everyday?

Also, can Detail Spray be substituted for Waterless Wash for spot cleaning/bug removal (if the surface has already been properly waxed and sealed)?

Edited by indyb6

WW is more optimal, as it has 'stuff' in it to help encapsulate any dirt/dust/particulates that may come from wiping off the bugs and the front end. (front end is one of the dirtiest parts of the car) Some guys dampen a WW mf towel with WW and lay it on the bug laden surface for a few minutes to help soften up and loosen those bug carcasses before wiping off (gently, gently).

Will waterless wash eat away any wax or sealant if its applied everyday?

Also, can Detail Spray be substituted for Waterless Wash for spot cleaning/bug removal (if the surface has already been properly waxed and sealed)?

No it won't. And like Doug said, WW would be a better choice, but you can try the DS. It may work for you depending on the type of bugs. Around here there are alot of bugs at night, but they rarely create issues if they are left on the paint for extended periods of time. Now love bugs on the other hand, you have to get them off ASAP.

No it won't. And like Doug said, WW would be a better choice, but you can try the DS. It may work for you depending on the type of bugs. Around here there are alot of bugs at night, but they rarely create issues if they are left on the paint for extended periods of time. Now love bugs on the other hand, you have to get them off ASAP.

Took the Harley out for a ride today. Our regular summer "midge" bugs are coming out now. Extremely small and green, mate in the air and only live three days - destroyed the front end of the bike and windshield. We had to make many stops just to get them off of our glasses.

I use a ton of the QS on the bike. I'm one that never washes a bike with a hose. Just put some single MF towels that were soaked in hot water on the windshield, front fender, headlights, etc. Waited a few minutes and gently "slid" them off. :thumbsup: