Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ran out of Detail Spray for polishing, any alternatives?

rudicio

Question

So after claying my car for the first time ever, I ran out of detail spray. I had planned to also use my new PC to apply swirl and haze remover and fine machine polish, followed by sealant.

I tried to make "my own" lubricant with the adam's shampoo and water, but I don't think it was effective. The polishes never seemed to flash (black car, should be noticeable right?) and were pretty difficult to remove. I did a decent portion of the car, which took a really long time, and got no results. Is there any combo that will work like the detail spray or am I SOL until I get my lessons learned gallon (ordering as I type this).

The good news is it does not look like I did any damage, other than really having to work hard to get the polish off. The bad news is that there were no real results, and I am out a days worth of work this weekend, and I am concerned that my paint has zero protection on it right now.

22 answers to this question

Use a diff brand if you must, I used some left over megs detail spray when I was claying with the Adams bar. The only reason I did was because I wanted to make space for all my new Adams stuff :)

Use a diff brand if you must, I used some left over megs detail spray when I was claying with the Adams bar. The only reason I did was because I wanted to make space for all my new Adams stuff :)

Sorry I meant that I finished claying, and was starting polishing. I think the polishes react to some of the chemicals in the detail spray (I read that somewhere on here), but figured I would give it a shot.

What seemed to happen with my shampoo/water mix lubricant was the polish would dry up quickly, and getting it off was a real pain. It was so bad that the white pad started to turn a little orange. Thankfully that all purpose cleaner works wonders on those pads and it is back to white and drying right now!

If you have a local dealer try to contact them. I know I would gladly sell you some if you're close.

Thought about that, but it was too late today. Closest one is around 40 minutes away. Not a huge deal though because my job + grad school work will keep my busy from 7am till anywhere from 6 to 12am every day.

My only worry was the paint being pretty much bare and water now being able to etch directly into it. Granted I'd never really applied protection before (car is only 8 months old, haven't had time) so it won't be any worse than it was.

Will I have to clay again next weekend?

Will I have to clay again next weekend?

You should not need to clay again. Do the baggie test to be sure - put your hand inside a plastic bag and feel the paint. If it feels rough then it needs to be clayed, if not move on to the next step!

At least you had "some" detail spray. 2nd RAM (lemon) truck I bought. Before I accepted it I told the service mgr. I wanted the truck clayed. It was in really bad shape. I use a loaner to get home. Three hours later serv. mgr. calls. Said the detail manager wanted to know if I wanted the truck clayed just using the clay bar or would it be okay to clay it with water. Is there no common sense left in the World? :confused:

Speed run to the dealerhip, signed that the truck was okay. Clayed it myself the next day.

I'm kind of confused, why do you need detail spray after claying?

There are of course multiple uses for DS. However it's an absolute must that you use it while claying. Somebody on here might have a suggestion as to what you could use if you didn't have any DS available.

As I just said, multiple uses for it. However you "need" a product that has "lubrication" to assist the clay to slide, smoothly, across your paint while you are claying your vehicle.

I'm pretty sure you know this already but when you are starting to thoroughly detail your vehilce, you wash it first. Clay it using DS and a lot of people will then wash the vehicle again before they start to work on the paint.

When you are done washing it, you rinse the soap off, get most of the water off and just before you start drying you want to "mist" the entire vehicle. This will help in preventing water spots. So that's just another reason, among many different reasons, one needs DS after claying.

Hope this helps. :hi:

To prime the pad for each pass of machine polishing

:iagree: Prime a new pad after you put the product on. It also helps, when you think you need to add more product, instead of doing that, spritz the pad with DS and you'll be amazed at how much product is still within the pad.

Also, while thoroughly detailing a vehicle, you may need to use more than one pad for different products. If a pad has been laying on your detailing cart, used before but you now need to use it again, just spritz the pad with DS and it will help to "bring it back to life." :D

There are of course multiple uses for DS. However it's an absolute must that you use it while claying. Somebody on here might have a suggestion as to what you could use if you didn't have any DS available.

As I just said, multiple uses for it. However you "need" a product that has "lubrication" to assist the clay to slide, smoothly, across your paint while you are claying your vehicle.

I'm pretty sure you know this already but when you are starting to thoroughly detail your vehilce, you wash it first. Clay it using DS and a lot of people will then wash the vehicle again before they start to work on the paint.

When you are done washing it, you rinse the soap off, get most of the water off and just before you start drying you want to "mist" the entire vehicle. This will help in preventing water spots. So that's just another reason, among many different reasons, one needs DS after claying.

Hope this helps. :hi:

Oops! I should have been more thorough with my question. Yes I am aware of the uses of detail spray, through the last few years I have used almost every brand in the [affordable] industry and tried every different polishing method. I honestly forgot that Adam's suggests misting the pad with DS to prime it, I don't use Adam's polishes and have different methods.

With a DA or Flex polisher it works to just prime the pad with the product itself. Not saturating the pad [as that reduces the cut provided by the pad itself] but to create a lubricating barrier to avoid marring induced by dry buffing. Distilled water can be misted onto the pad or polish to extend the life of the polish and reduce dusting, but that would only be used if you needed either more working time or less dusting.

My only suggestion to the OP is to wait for the DS spray to arrive or pick up some OTC Detail Spray. When it comes to priming a pad during polishing the brand of DS isn't incredibly relevant.

Oops! I should have been more thorough with my question. Yes I am aware of the uses of detail spray, through the last few years I have used almost every brand in the [affordable] industry and tried every different polishing method. I honestly forgot that Adam's suggests misting the pad with DS to prime it, I don't use Adam's polishes and have different methods.

With a DA or Flex polisher it works to just prime the pad with the product itself. Not saturating the pad [as that reduces the cut provided by the pad itself] but to create a lubricating barrier to avoid marring induced by dry buffing. Distilled water can be misted onto the pad or polish to extend the life of the polish and reduce dusting, but that would only be used if you needed either more working time or less dusting.

My only suggestion to the OP is to wait for the DS spray to arrive or pick up some OTC Detail Spray. When it comes to priming a pad during polishing the brand of DS isn't incredibly relevant.

U don't use Adam's Polishes....really..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

U don't use Adam's Polishes....really..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I use the detail spray, undercarriage spray, apc, svrt, interior cleaner, glass cleaner, waterless wash, but not the "polishes" themselves.

Better? ;)

I use the detail spray, undercarriage spray, apc, svrt, interior cleaner, glass cleaner, waterless wash, but not the "polishes" themselves.

Better? ;)

There's nothing wrong with that at all man! It's obvious you're on the forum for a reason, and if the only thing you use is one product, at least your contributing to the forum. Jeesh.

Glad to hear you are using the products by Adam, that you listed. I don't mean to put you on the spot and by all means you don't have to answer this, but is there any particular reason why you don't use any of Adam's polishes?

I've been detailing for a number of years. However, not on the leve I currently am at. When I discovered Adam's products, I threw about 26 different polishes and waxes into the trash. Absolutely no regrets by doing so. :thumbsup:

Perhaps the current polishes you are now using and your different methods, you've found the right way to accomplish the shine you desire. Regardless, thanks for stopping by - "or" - stick around. If just one of your methods is that good then that could possible be utilized by some of us on this forum, although Adam and Dylan have produced the best detailing video's I've ever viewed and by following their methods, using all of their products, I've become a much better detailer than I use to be or expected to be.

Regardless, good luck! :cheers::rockon:

Glad to hear you are using the products by Adam, that you listed. I don't mean to put you on the spot and by all means you don't have to answer this, but is there any particular reason why you don't use any of Adam's polishes?

I've been detailing for a number of years. However, not on the leve I currently am at. When I discovered Adam's products, I threw about 26 different polishes and waxes into the trash. Absolutely no regrets by doing so. :thumbsup:

Perhaps the current polishes you are now using and your different methods, you've found the right way to accomplish the shine you desire. Regardless, thanks for stopping by - "or" - stick around. If just one of your methods is that good then that could possible be utilized by some of us on this forum, although Adam and Dylan have produced the best detailing video's I've ever viewed and by following their methods, using all of their products, I've become a much better detailer than I use to be or expected to be.

Regardless, good luck! :cheers::rockon:

I kinda feel like I have to answer now, not because of you though.

I actually viewed every one of the Junkmans videos before I started getting deeper into the world of detailing. That IS how I learned, but like he and many others have said, you also learn by putting the polisher in your hands and doing it yourself. I started reading all of the detailing websites, this one included, and found what (consensus said) to be the best polishes and pads and that is what I started with and have learned to do better with.

I do support Adam and his mission, and I believe he got where he is because of his faith and beliefs. And I have no problem with Adam's products, but when you have a chance to try out hundreds of products side by side, one brand does not work the best (in my experience) in every area.

And I certainly don't have to use every Adam's product to contribute to this forum. 90% of detailing is technique and not product, it just so happens that Adam's makes great products and some people choose to use them alone. I will continue to use some Adam's products as well as other detailing products made in the USA :patriot:

I kinda feel like I have to answer now, not because of you though.

I actually viewed every one of the Junkmans videos before I started getting deeper into the world of detailing. That IS how I learned, but like he and many others have said, you also learn by putting the polisher in your hands and doing it yourself. I started reading all of the detailing websites, this one included, and found what (consensus said) to be the best polishes and pads and that is what I started with and have learned to do better with.

I do support Adam and his mission, and I believe he got where he is because of his faith and beliefs. And I have no problem with Adam's products, but when you have a chance to try out hundreds of products side by side, one brand does not work the best (in my experience) in every area.

And I certainly don't have to use every Adam's product to contribute to this forum. 90% of detailing is technique and not product, it just so happens that Adam's makes great products and some people choose to use them alone. I will continue to use some Adam's products as well as other detailing products made in the USA :patriot:

And I thank you very much for saying what you did, knowing that you didn't have to say anything.

So very true - you "don't" have to use every product Adam comes out with to contribute to the forum. I have to apologize for inviting you to stick around. That was "before" I seen that you are already a forum member so I hope that didn't offend you.

Basically one could look at detailing in such a way as to say: "there is Adam's way, other ways and as long as you are happy, your way. I respect that point of view.

Many Tks for this post. :2thumbs: