Customer Service 866.965.0400

Do you 2 bucket wash?

bigaudiofanatic

Do you 2 bucket wash customers cars before detailing?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Do you 2 bucket wash customers cars before detailing?

• Yes
    • No
    • I only work on my own.

Question

21 answers to this question

2 Bucket Wash for me!

For the following reasons:

1) I don't want to introduce any more damage to a car's finish.

2) I like to take a few pictures before any correction but after the wash. Good before and afters are important for the customer to see and know the difference between what the wash does and what the correction accomplishes.

3) I also see the 2 bucket wash as important to also maintaining the wash pads in their cleanest possible state.

:cheers:

2 Bucket Wash for me!

For the following reasons:

1) I don't want to introduce any more damage to a car's finish.

2) I like to take a few pictures before any correction but after the wash. Good before and afters are important for the customer to see and know the difference between what the wash does and what the correction accomplishes.

3) I also see the 2 bucket wash as important to also maintaining the wash pads in their cleanest possible state.

Ditto &:

1) I want the customer to be able to reduce swirls themselves and when taking pictures the 2 bucket wash is a key point ...

2) I want to maintain the routine (for my own "integrity"), and then am less likely to second guess swirls that I didn't see at initial walkthrough... would then guess they may have been hidden by glaze/filler

Happy detailing!

Oh... one last reason...

My neighbors have clean car envy and have learned that they watch how I wash the cars. I have even had a clinic for a couple of them. Have heard from others and they have joked that if any of their friends want to know how to wash a car they just tell them to come over on a Saturday and setup a chair to watch me to learn the proper technique to get a car that looks like it is new. So that puts the pressure on me to have integrity and never compromise technique!

:lolsmack:

Edited by DaveVY

I guess I'd be the outcast here, but if you're going to be doing a full correction anyway, I guess I just don't see how a single one-bucket wash would add any significant damage. Especially if the finish is severely swirled to begin with. If the finish is in good shape to start and only needs a single pass of FMP, that could be a different story.

Ok, I'll go stand in the corner now. :banned:

Let me put it this way:

Do you walk thru your house with muddy boots on right before you get ready to vacuum the carpet and mop the floors?

No sense in introducing more damage (even if only a little) if you can avoid it. I will admit that on a heavily swirled car my process might not be as thorough or perfect as it is on a swirl free vehicle, but I still go the route of 2 bucket wash just to make sure I'm not putting in more work for myself.

Let me put it this way:

Do you walk thru your house with muddy boots on right before you get ready to vacuum the carpet and mop the floors?

No sense in introducing more damage (even if only a little) if you can avoid it. I will admit that on a heavily swirled car my process might not be as thorough or perfect as it is on a swirl free vehicle, but I still go the route of 2 bucket wash just to make sure I'm not putting in more work for myself.

I think washing with the 409 guy's dirty concrete bucket and rags would better fit your analogy. If I was going to vacuum soon, would I walk across the carpet with my relatively clean sneakers after wiping them on the mat at the door? Probably.

I'm not arguing that a one-bucket wash is as safe as two-bucket wash. Just that Adam's products are designed to minimize swirls and that in this particular instance I don't think it would make much difference. Do I have any evidence to back that up? No. But I'd be interested to see how much more damage a single wash inflicts with the only difference being the number of buckets used.

I'd be interested to see how much more damage a single wash inflicts with the only difference being the number of buckets used.

I think I might have a candidate to show this actually... a black Camaro coming to me for a 'facelift' in a few weeks.

I'll cover a 2x2 section of the hood with tape and wash with a single bucket. :thumbsup:

I am with the majority on this one. I never walk on my wool rug with sneakers, shoes or flip flops no matter how clean, even if I am getting ready to vacuum. The possibility of putting a stain (or scratching the cars paint) is still there. You never know what your shoes (or washmitt) will pick up.

One good sized grain of Sand can introduce some nasty scratches. Better safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I might have a candidate to show this actually... a black Camaro coming to me for a 'facelift' in a few weeks.

I'll cover a 2x2 section of the hood with tape and wash with a single bucket. :thumbsup:

Cool. :cheers: It will also be interesting to see how much extra time you have to spend polishing that section compared to the rest, which is really what this thread is all about.

Depends if it's thrashed like Len said, then...no. Near perfect finish, then yes.

You still have to clay anyways, and the question is wether you are creating more work for yourself...chances are you will be doing the same amount of passes regardless of the number of buckets you use on one wash. The clay will probably marr you're paint more than 1 improper wash.

Now if you're trying to learn someone, different story.

Edited by 07RS4
I'm beginning to think I mix letters up, seriously!!!

I am just inteh habbit of using 2 buckets so I always do .even if the car is already trashed I feel like rinsing the pad out good helps me remove more dirt from the finish resulting is a cleaner surface to start claying.

I know this is about CUSTOMER cars, but since I don't detail for money I'll just talk about my own washing... most of the time I just use a single bucket. The reason is I seldom let my car get all that dirty to start with, and I always hose off anything vaguely abrasive before the wash mitt ever touches the car. And even then I only have to run the soapy mitt very lightly over the paint. I've never noticed any swirls generated from my careful washing.