Customer Service 866.965.0400

Just made a BIG mistake....

Beemer

Question

I just came home from Wal-Mart with one of those dual 500 watt halogen light kits so that I can see my paint better in the garage.

Big mistake.

I've got some work to do.

19 answers to this question

Dan -- are you anywhere near Rockville? I have 2 of those lights and I rarely use them... I'd sell you one of mine for $20. Mine were bought at Home Depot or Lowe's--- I forget which. It's in perfect shape with only about 5 hours on it. PM me if interested.

080083534371lg.jpg

Edited by MarylandTDI

Better have bought quite a few extra bulbs. Mine shoot every time I use the thing.

I think the key is to not touch the bulbs with your fingers -- the oils from your skin get on there, heat up and break the glass. I always hold the bulbs in a clean rag or paper towel when installing them, and I've never had one blow out. :cheers:

I have 2 kinds of overhead bulbs in my garage. Under the regular incandescent, my paint looks flawless. Under the halogen, the same exact area looks like crap. and no matter how much I polish it, it looks no better.

I've thought about just swapping out the hal's for all incan's. Would that count as successful paint correction?

I think the key is to not touch the bulbs with your fingers -- the oils from your skin get on there, heat up and break the glass. I always hold the bulbs in a clean rag or paper towel when installing them, and I've never had one blow out. :cheers:

:iagree::thumbsup: A lot of people don't realize this. It applies to all halogen bulbs as well as any ignitors that you may handle.

I think I move mine before it is totally cool and it upsets the filament. I use gloves to install. Walmart quality....

Your gloves may not be clean enough. It is recommended if you touch the bulb by accident to wipe it down with rubbing alcohol, and allow to dry. Not sure how this would work with an ignitor however, they are of a different material and not glass. Best bet with those is a clean paper towel.

I have 2 kinds of overhead bulbs in my garage. Under the regular incandescent, my paint looks flawless. Under the halogen, the same exact area looks like crap. and no matter how much I polish it, it looks no better.

I've thought about just swapping out the hal's for all incan's. Would that count as successful paint correction?

Hahahaha :thumbup:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I used to have a dual halogen light kit... I bought it on sale at the local farm store for 15 bucks back in 2005. I decided I didn't like it anymore so I dropped it on the hood of my G8 from a height of around 7 feet.

Broke the light and dented the CRAP out of the hood... That'll show it!

Chris

in the hunt for a new light kit...