Customer Service 866.965.0400

First Time Adams User Americana question

dfrye70

Question

I just bought a new Grand Sport in Crystal Red. Up to this point I have always used either Zaino or Rejex. I have seen the Adams displays at car shows as well as on TV. So I took the plunge and bought a Porter Cable and a whole bunch of Adams materials. My play was to clay bar it, then use the swirl remover and then the polish. After that I was going to use the Americana as I am looking for that deep shine. In looking at the forum it seems there are two groups split down the middle, Machine or Hand. Is there a problem combining the two?

In addition, my car is a daily driver in central Florida. How long will the Americana last before I have to reapply? I garage the car at home and cover it at work.

This will be my weekend project.

Thanks!

12 answers to this question

If you want the deepest looking shine, after using the Machine Polish, use the Brilliant Glaze, before applying the Americana Wax. The Brilliant step will really add a wow factor to the final look, it is worth the time and effort to do this extra step. You can apply the Brilliant either by hand or PC...easy either way. I have found Americana will usually last in the Pennsylvania weather 4-6 weeks, but I really try to wax about every 5 weeks.

Welcome Gary!

:welcomebanner:

Great car!! :2thumbs:

For a daily driver I like to use the Machine Super Sealant and if I want more therapy time I will hand apply Americana (the MSS needs to cure 12 hours before adding anything on top of it or haze can occur).

I don't use the Machine Super Sealant on our Vette since it isn't a daily driver but just use Americana as I love the deep wet look it gives.

In our Florida sun, especially in the summer months, I find the Americana will last roughly 2-3 months, seems to be as short as 2 months on darker colored cars and around 3 months on lighter colored cars.

You mentioned covering the car, I used to do this, but covering a car that isn't perfectly clean WILL introduce new swirls/scratches. After doing multiple corrections to my daily driver, a Mazda6, I finally realized that my covering the car was actually hurting more than helping. Finally threw my cover away for that car. I will cover the Vette, but ONLY after I just finished washing the car and putting it away in the garage. If the car has been driven I will NOT cover it as minor swirls and scratches will occur.

Great to have another Vette owner in the Adam's family!! :cheers:

Hey, welcome. It sounds like you're plans will work just fine. On my cars they get one initial full treatment with the PC and SHR and FMP, then yearly just a touchup as needed with either Revive by hand or SHR/FMP if any daily wear demands it. But with careful washing and you may never get to the point where multiple details with SHR are needed.

I like to keep things simple, too, and merely do MSS or Spray Sealant once a year, then Americana after every 4 or 5 washes. That works out to every 2-3 months, and the car always has a good layer of protection and a great shine to it.

You'll find the maintance stuff is every easy, relaxing and immensely rewarding to stand back and admire.

Enjoy that GS. Post up some pics when you have her looking all shiny. :cheers:

Wow, Thanks for the tips.

So to be clear, it should be:

The clay bar

The swirl remover

The machine polish

The glaze

And finally the Americana?

I hope i can get atleast two months out of the Americana. To be honest I used to get about six months out of the Rejex even using the car as a daily driver year round for 105,000 miles. (my last car was a 2005 Vette which was painted Monterey Red).

In readding all of the posts and watching the video's I'm excited to try out the Adams products.

I have never had good luck with machine polishers but I'm hopeing the Porter Cable will be easy to use. (the videos make it look easy).

One last question: what do you guys do to protect the black trim? Do you apply the VRT firsdt and then polish or is the norm to tape it off? If the answer is tape is the blue painters tape from home depot good enough?

Once I'm done I will post some pictures.

Thanks for the feedback!

here is the before when traded in my 2005 on the new GS.

picture.php?albumid=26327&pictureid=111803

Welcome neighbor - APK represent!

Lots of folks on here use MSS (applied with the PC), then BG for some extra pop, and top that with Americana to add some warmth.

There lots of folks from the area on here, so give a shout if you need help with something,

And if you need something XQZIT (Mike) is the local dealer, honors the online store specials, and even delivers!

Wow, Thanks for the tips.

... I hope i can get atleast two months out of the Americana. To be honest I used to get about six months out of the Rejex even using the car as a daily driver year round for 105,000 miles. (my last car was a 2005 Vette which was painted Monterey Red).

Just want to be sure you understand which products correspond to what you are expecting. If you are wanting a longer lasting product (like what you were used to with Rejex) then the Adam's corresponding product would be the Machine Super Sealant. It lasts around 6 months in the Florida sun. Like Rejex, Machine Super Sealant needs the 12 hr cure time before putting anything on top of it. I find that the Machine Super Sealant gives a better shine than what you were used to.

Then if you want that extra 'pop' or depth to the shine you can layer the Americana on top (after the 12 hr cure time).

You don't need the Machine Super Sealant, just wanted to be sure that you understood that Adam's had a product like the one you had.

Look forward to seeing your pics!:cheers:

I like to keep things simple, too, and merely do MSS or Spray Sealant once a year, then Americana after every 4 or 5 washes. That works out to every 2-3 months, and the car always has a good layer of protection and a great shine to it.

I like the sounds of this, but have a few questions. Are you doing a baggie test after fives weeks? Surely you would have contaminants in the paint by then? Are you doing two coats of MSS or one?

Safe to say 2-3 coats of Americana by this time no cloudy look, time to strip at this point I would think.

One last question, your not seeing any swirls OR some small amounts even with the greatest of care. On a DD I would think this would be normal in between corrections even with the greatest of care.

Welcome neighbor - APK represent!

Lots of folks on here use MSS (applied with the PC), then BG for some extra pop, and top that with Americana to add some warmth.

There lots of folks from the area on here, so give a shout if you need help with something,

And if you need something XQZIT (Mike) is the local dealer, honors the online store specials, and even delivers!

Thanks for the information about XQZIT. Wish I knew that before I placed my last order! I will keep it in mind for the future.

I like the sounds of this, but have a few questions. Are you doing a baggie test after fives weeks? Surely you would have contaminants in the paint by then? Are you doing two coats of MSS or one?

Safe to say 2-3 coats of Americana by this time no cloudy look, time to strip at this point I would think.

One last question, your not seeing any swirls OR some small amounts even with the greatest of care. On a DD I would think this would be normal in between corrections even with the greatest of care.

I normally don't do the baggie test more then quarterly and normally only have to clay bar a max of 3 times a year. I really think that 2 coats of Americana is plenty, no need for a 3rd coat if you are using the Waterless Wash and Detail spray several times a week. I put 2 coats of Americana on my car 2 weeks ago, and was considering another coat but this morning I went over the car with Waterless Wash, and it really didn't need another coat. This evening I will go over the car with Detail Spray and it totally brings it back to looking great.

As far as swirls, I am not seeing any if I do things right, if there's any doubt about using one of the products Waterless Wash/Detail Spray or to wash, I will wash. I may see some wipe marks from the Waterless wash if I don't keep turning the microfiber I'm using or if it gets too damp, but they will disappear with another spritz of spray and a new towel.