Customer Service 866.965.0400

IPA wipedown?

xkwj43z

Question

Where does the IPA wipedown fall into the process? Im getting ready to detail my vehicle this morning. Polishing steps: Swirl&Haze Polish, Fine Machine Polish, Americana. Do I perform a IPA wipedown after all polishing before the wax? and why:willy:

11 answers to this question

Polishes may leave some oils and residues behind that MAY mask some minor imperfections... in no way is an IPA wipe down required, but if you want to make sure you polished the car out 100% then you would do the wipe down after your final polishing step, but before you start any sealant, glaze, or wax.

Honestly, I've never seen the appeal if you're detailing for pleasure. Its an added step without any benefit. The times I do use IPA after polishing is if I'm testing a sealant or wax and want to be sure I have a 100% clean surface to start with.

Also, as Anthony pointed out you can use IPA to strip waxes off the surface to do touchups rather than stripping the whole car and starting over like you would with APC/Shampoo or Dawn.

Where does the IPA wipedown fall into the process? Im getting ready to detail my vehicle this morning. Polishing steps: Swirl&Haze Polish, Fine Machine Polish, Americana. Do I perform a IPA wipedown after all polishing before the wax? and why:willy:

I would do like the other guys said. For your personal process, I would use at least use it after FMP for the purpose of inspecting the paint and preparing the surface for Americana.

Personally, I use it after each polishing step to ensure I got the correction I need before moving on to a finer polish.

Now I'm confused. I was always told to use IPA before doing a detail to remove wax instead of using Dawn Dish Soap.

Thats one use for it... the other is to remove any residual polishing oils before going to your LSP's. Again, not required and in many cases just overkill, but its done by some.

Yes, or to keep the overspray to a minimum you can spray it onto your towel and then wipe. Either way is fine.

70% isopropyl alcohol is available at pretty much every grocery and drug store... diluting it with water (about half) will stretch it out some and will still be completely effective at removing waxes, sealants, or polishing oils.

Yes, or to keep the overspray to a minimum you can spray it onto your towel and then wipe. Either way is fine.

70% isopropyl alcohol is available at pretty much every grocery and drug store... diluting it with water (about half) will stretch it out some and will still be completely effective at removing waxes, sealants, or polishing oils.

Anyone find in doing above spraying on hood then wiping that it clouded the paint? On polishing as was ok after but seems wierd.