Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detail Complete: 1980 Porsche 911 Targa

THE Mook

Morn!

Spent my Monday inside and outside of this little guy. Car wasn't in bad shape, but not in awesome shape either. Showed up dirty, with chalky paint, super dry rubber, and in need of an interior detail.

The day started with me cleaning the wheels, wheel wells, and tires with APC, a Boar's Hair Brush, the Turbostick, the Fender Brush, and the new Wheel Woolies. From there, I moved onto the two-bucket wash. I used the Sidekick to dry the car off and then dressed the Vinyl, Rubber, and Trim, with a healthy dose of SVRT. I mean healthy--whole bottle healthy.

Once the dressing portion of my day was complete, I moved onto the interior. I started with a nice vacuum of it, moved onto Leather and Interior Cleaner, then dressed it up with Leather Conditioner. I used In and Out Spray where I couldn't get dressing, and also around all shift boots, etc. I spent a good two hours on the inside of this car.

After stretching the heck back out...I may not be huge, but holy cow am I too large to be in the back of a 911, I finally got into the Claybar portion of the day. There wasn't too many swirlmarks to deal with, but I addressed those and some other small spots. The Flex Polisher, SHR and FMP were my amigos for the job today. 2 passes each color, and I got the paint to where I was happy with it. I finished with QS, BG (both paint and glass, on the Flex), and APW. The wheels were also polished with Revive, as Revive was also used to hit any areas I couldn't go after with the Flex. The spokes of the wheels were dressed with In and Out Spray.

For the Pillars...they were really, really chalky. I wasn't sure what my plan of attack would be. I mean, this is 30 some year old "paint" if you will, no clear coat, and no telling how much was left. I chose Revive Hand Polish to even it out, and then dress it with SVRT. HOLY COW it came back to life! A Dry Detail of the engine with APC and Utility Towels, followed by dressing with In and Out Spray, and my day was finally over.

This car goes into it's first show this weekend. It's not in a Concours class or anything, just the bottom class she can put it in. I think it's the "driver" class. For this car being 32 years old, I think it looks great again!

PICS!!!

b6e495ab.jpg

Wheel Before/After:

c8a5fa1c.jpg

61625958.jpg

Top Before/After:

e66cbbff.jpg

42f8cbb9.jpg

Pillars Before/After:

e87ef7c8.jpg

a8151b53.jpg

7f998d27.jpg

How Dry Was it Mook?

7cb36beb.jpg

Don't Know When it Was Last Clayed.

8e0b02a6.jpg

Interior Before/After:

3673f724.jpg

88bf3d02.jpg

e00af1d6.jpg

0221570e.jpg

9ae51926.jpg

7b6a800d.jpg

dd214d03.jpg

114b2f4f.jpg

Misc. Before and Afters:

711c4f5e.jpg

886b9977.jpg

764590ab.jpg

60a5d2e2.jpg

77fd7867.jpg

87237c00.jpg

a29a8621.jpg

The Rest of the Afters:

ece995bf.jpg

8896d3a7.jpg

10aff92e.jpg

84ef9d45.jpg

86dea15a.jpg

Thanks for stopping in!

Mook:2thumbs:

I enjoyed hearing updates about this detail throughout the day yesterday. I can vouch for how hard Mook worked on this ride. He busted his butt on it and it really shows! Seriously, check out those before and after pictures. I'm truly impressed. This is how you get the job done. I'm sure you're sore today but I'm also sure that the satisfaction from a job well done was worth the pain. I just wish I could have taken the day off to come help. Next time for sure!

Great work Mook! :bow:

:pc:

How many miles on that one? That is one of the blues that I was originally looking for but then realized my Pacific Blue Metallic was a color only offered in 81 and 82. I love me a nice stock SC Targa.....

Edited by Odds and Ends

The car looks 100% better. I'm willing to bet you didn't get paid enough, I can only imagine how tough this must have been, with all the little slots and creases that could only be done by hand, not to mention the added challenge of the vinyl roof. The car looks awesome, you did a great job, thanks for posting the photos!

The car looks 100% better. I'm willing to bet you didn't get paid enough, I can only imagine how tough this must have been, with all the little slots and creases that could only be done by hand, not to mention the added challenge of the vinyl roof. The car looks awesome, you did a great job, thanks for posting the photos!

Thanks! To be honest, the vinyl roof was the easiest part of the whole car! :cheers:

Thanks again! I got to drive it for ten feet at a time. Little sucker fired right up, for being that old, and a European Car.

Funny story, today I'm working the Good Guys Show up the road, some guy comes up and starts chit chatting about his friend, who has her car in a show tomorrow. He said, "She showed me all this Adam's stuff she got, and how some guy that works for Adam's detailed it earlier this week."

Hmm. I think I'll be doing his S4 sometime soon ;)