Customer Service 866.965.0400

Hot vs cold water

SXT6

Question

13 answers to this question

This is an interesting question. I have read somewhere that the hot water will soften your wax layer, thus making it wash away more easily.

But, how hot is too hot??? During the winter when I'm washing my cars, I like to use warm water so my hands don't freeze :eek: So what sort of temps can wax tolerate before getting too soft??

I use warm water -- probably 95 degrees. I can't imagine that causes much wax breakdown - after all a car sitting in the sun all day probably gets a lot hotter than that.

And even if it does contribute a tiny bit to wax breakdown, I'd rather that the water be warm and comfortable to work with so I do the wash right, rather than it be cold and make me rush/miss spots.

my hose only spits out cold water :(

I fill the bucket halfway with hot water from a sink I'm my basement, then mix in another 2 gallons or so with the hose. That foams up the soap real thick and makes the temp nice and warm for my dainty hands. :lolsmack:

I like warm to wash and rinse when its cold. When its 80°+ I like cold.. I have to replace my outside faucet so when I do, I will be adding a blend valve at the same time. I've seen a few places where up to 90°F 35°C is what people use so I'm good with that.

:lurk:

x2!

I know in my profession of refinishing floors, when we are scrubbing or stripping then waxing, hot water is always preferred. It seems to do a better job cleaning. Im not entirely sure that after you have washed and dried the car the difference in temperature will be large enough to really make a difference.